FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone taking/have taken Xeloda/capecitabine ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wwjdJanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwjdJanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone taking/have taken Xeloda/capecitabine ?
    Posted: Jan 06 2015 at 3:20pm
I have TNBC, BRCA1&2 negative, Androgen receptor negative as well.  I had double mastectomy pm 6/18/14 and taken AC & Taxotere chemo drugs for the past 6 months and started 7 weeks of radiation yesterday.   I had TNBC recur on my breast suture line 9/15/14 while on chemo AC and it was removed and I stopped AC 1 round early and switched to Taxotere for 4 rounds which I just completed.  I currently am getting a lymph node biopsied near my pancreas as it lit up on my latest PET Scan.  After radiation my oncologist wants to start me on oral Xeloda(brand name)/capecitabine(generic) : 2 pills a day each 500 mg.  Has anyone taken this drug, if so I would love to hear about your dosage levels and outcomes with using it (alone or in combination with any other drugs).
Linda428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2015 at 4:38pm
I took this drug and had a good response on it---I too am brca 1& 2 negative and androgen receptor negative. My doctor started me at 3000 mg/day but that was way too toxic for me so we kept reducing the dose until I got to 1500/day (1000 in the morning and 500 at night). I had very little side effects with the 1500 mg dose----only a little nausea with the morning doseage. Of the 9 different chemo's I've been on, the Xeloda was the easiest to tolerate, easy to take since you can take it at home, and I responded extremely well to it.
wwjdJanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwjdJanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2015 at 2:04pm
Thanx Linda so much for getting back to me, its so nice to talk to people that have your same genetic makeup.  Also curious were you No Evidence of Disease when you started taking Xeloda or did you have some active cancer and if so where was the active cancer in your system ?  How long have you been taking Xeloda so far and how long does your doctor plan on keeping you on it long term ?  When you say you responded to it well, how do you know that ?  Did you see tumor markers go down or active cancer reduced in size or clean Pet Scan after taking it ?  Also if you don't mind sharing your journey with me it would be very reassuring, e.g. what chemo drugs were you on prior to Xeloda, how long did you do radiation and did you have recurrence of cancer.  I would love to talk to you in person so
if you are open to talking I would love that : ) Janice located in St. Louis, Missouri
Linda428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2015 at 2:35pm
I sent you a private message.
megarita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megarita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 4:29pm
My Mom has been on xeloda for two months, (diagnosed in September at stage IV after 8 yrs remission). The 1st scan last month showed two new lesions in her liver but her oncologist wanted her to stay on it one more month since she had waited two weeks to begin it. As far as side effects she has been lucky, just a little dizziness the second week and none since. I think she was on 3,000mg a day every other week. Meeting to discuss her new scans with her oncologist tomorrow and see if it's working. I hope it works for you!  
btstark2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btstark2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2015 at 11:59am
Hi Janice,

I am in the St Louis area also if you want to talk sometime.  I will send you a PM with my phone number.
I hope that you got good news from the biopsy of the LN near the pancreas!

With respect to Xeloda experience, I could only tolerate a 2000mg / day dose (the target dose is 3500 mg but I have hear of very few people who could tolerate that).  At 2000 mg/day I had mild fatigue and peeling skin on the palms of hands and soles of feet.  Also, I couldn't tolerate walking very far if it was really hot outside - my feet hurt and burned. I would have been happy to stay on it longer, but it didn't work very well for me.  I have lung mets and it slowed them down for a few months but then I started having significant progression again.  But not to worry, there are plenty of other chemo regimens to try if you need them!

All the best,
Beth
2008 Stg1 TNBC, LX, FEC+T, rads
2010 2.5cm tumor BRCA-, BMX,CMF
2011 LN mets, Gem/Carbo, surgery, rads
2012 lung mets, PI3Ki/taxo
2013 anti-PD-1
2014/15 Xeloda, IMMU-132, eribulin
Aug 2015 Keytruda
Jeree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jeree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 2:14am
Hi Janice,
I just stopped Xeloda 2 weeks ago. I had four rounds of 14 days on 7 off. I tolerated it well. My fingertips and toes are still peeling from it, but it worked to stop or decrease lymph node sizes. My lungs did not react and in fact have new nodules in both lungs. Tomorrow I start on Eribulin. If the Xeloda had helped the lungs too, I would be happy to live with peeling sore skin if it did the trick.
I hope you have a good experience and that it slows or stops the cancer.
Stage 1 TNBC 3/14; chemo lumpectomy radiation; stage 4 in lungs and multiple lymph nodes.
Jeree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 2:15am
I'm sorry, I just noticed this was from 2015, new year here and I forgot
Stage 1 TNBC 3/14; chemo lumpectomy radiation; stage 4 in lungs and multiple lymph nodes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic