FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have ACT Chemo Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:10am
Hi Girlpower!

Love the username!

I, too, had scalp pain during hair loss. I also was stupid and went outside to visit a friend and added sunburn to the scalp pain...

Anyway, my hair follicles actually oozed a bit during the hair loss days...my onc had never seen this. It might have been the sun!

The pain did not last. It was temporary and annoying for about 2 weeks, then once the hair fell out, disappeared.

So hang in there, and use a gentle shampoo...it will stop soon.

Kathy
Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 10:23pm
Dear cq,
thank you for your reply.....
you can understand fromk your experience with this disease that is very stressful ....i have lost 10 kgs in one night...
i wanted to ask you after finishing your treatment how often and what tests your making to keep you inform for your stage of health and protecting you from early diagnoses?
after you started chemo, did you lost your hair and how many weeks it took to start falling after chemo?

thank you very much,

tasoulla
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 10:28pm
thank you for your reply Linda,

how are you feeling now and what tests and how often your are making them after finishing your treatment?
did you lost your hair immediately after starting chemo?

im trying to help my mum as much as i can, especially psychologically.....

thank you,

tasoulla

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:57am
Dear Tasoulla,
Expect hair loss to start Day 15 after AC #1.
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 10:48pm
tasoulla,

As a hairdresser watching customers go thru hairloss, also watching my mother go thru it, then having chemo myself, I shaved my head 2 weeks after first AC tx. When I ran my hands thru my hair that morning, not a lot but more than usually came out in my hands, I knew the loss was starting. I didn't want the mess of hair all over so shaved it. The little stubs that were left didn't fall out as quickly not having the weight of any length. I wore berets because what I had was pretty heavy at the sides. Loss was greater, sooner on the top. The scalp does feel achy were the hair will start coming out next.

My mother went thru chemo 3 1/2 different times. The last time or two, knowing how I felt about shaving the head, she avoided the subject, preferring to hang onto her wispy strands as long as possible. I thought she looked awful with those wisps but she felt more comfortable having those than being bald...again !
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
girlpower731 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 3:43am
I still have my hair as well.  Just about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length.  It's coming out though every day.  I come it before I take a shower to minimize what goes to the drain and then after I take a shower.  I've thought about shaving it at home, having my husband do it.  It's just really hard to see it all go.  I have major bald spots atm, mostly in the back and upper top and then the sideburns on the side of my head where I primarily sleep.  I have been loving my hip hat with hair (underhair) as it has made me feel normal each day.  A couple days ago was session 3 of my dd AC treatment.  I'm thinking maybe by halloween I'll shave some off from the top.  I'm gonna try to keep the side stuff for as long as I can though so I have the option to wear a better selection of hats (if I wanted to).

My husband is calling me to get back to bed.  It's 4:45am here.  Talk to you later.

Girlpower
dx: age 31. Stage 2a, BRCA1/2 -, Lumpectomy 8/09, AC/Taxol dense dose 9/09-1/10
Luv2sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv2sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 7:40am
Hello Tasoulla, Smile
Just wanted to share another experience with you regarding chemo and hairloss.  Prior to my diagnosis I was known for my hair.  It was long, thick and wavy ... my onc informed us with the type of regimen I was having (ACT) my hair would definitely come out.  She advised me to get it cut, my husband didn't believe her.  I didn't shave my head, but did get it cut to just below my ears (wanted it shorter, but my hairdresser wouldn't do it).  My hair started to shed two weeks after my first tx.  If I ran my fingers through it would come out.  One day in the shower while washing my hair, it all matted together and my husband ended up having to shave my head.  It was horrible. 

At this point I can say different people have different experiences.  My hair started to grow back during last two weeks of chemo.  Two months after chemo, I now have more than two inches of thick curly & straight hair.  My original hair color was black with some gray strands.  The new hair came back black with a cute little patch of gray in the front.

During the process, I learned to embrace the changes.  Fortunately, my hair loss occurred during the summer months and is now growing back in time for winter.  I eventually stopped wearing wigs and caps and just let me people see me for me.  Now my hair just looks like I decided to go short. 

Being diagnosed is stressful enough and I think it's better when we learn to control the things we can and accept the things we cannot ... for me ... hair growth was something I couldn't control, so I didn't stress over it.  Instead I focused my energies on things that were within my control ... like better eating habits, activity, etc.

I wish you calming thoughts and good days as you go forward on this journey.
Raymon
Rejoice Everday!
Dx 1/23/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
, BRCA-
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 7:29pm
Has anyone experienced extreme soreness to their skin during their chemo treatment time?  My most recent chemo session was this past Monday and this afternoon I started experiencing extreme soreness  on my back, neck (all the sides), some parts of my lower face etc.  I can't even get comfortable in bed.  This happened to me before as well, but I wanted to make sure others had this happen to then too.  I took some ibuprofen for the soreness/swelling that I'm feeling.

Girlpower
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 9:38pm
Dear GirlPower,

DW has not experienced this. It sounds worth looking into. Please call your oncologist asap.

What pre-meds were you given and what oral meds are you taking?

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 10:22pm
Hair loss
Not having to shave WAS GREAT lol
Vickyann
Dx Christmas/07
Stage2 Grade 3
no nodule braca neg
lung nodule no growth
TAC x 6 no rad
finished chemo June 08 reconstruction 12/09
Luv2sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv2sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 2:12pm
While I did swell from the steriods, there was no "skin soreness".  Did have areas that were (or are) numb.  I had a port-a-cath and that area would be sore, but only because my skin is funky sensitive.  Definitely let your doc know. 
Raymon
Rejoice Everday!
Dx 1/23/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
, BRCA-
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 6:05pm
I will talk to the nurse on Monday.  I think that I've mentioned it in the past, I truly think it's b/c I missed the steroid Decadron.  My original Onc had a different script for taking the meds than my current onc so the bottle isn't labeled with the right directions.  And as you all know, chemo brain takes over which isn't the best.  I'll make a better note to take it correctly and to put something on a calendar for next time.

I went to yoga today and the fire alarm went off twice.  Now this is at my nearby hospital that I do the yoga.  It was right during meditation time which wasn't the best.

I'm starting work again on Monday to a position I had about 6 months ago.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for starting the job?  I know the people pretty good and my new boss (old boss laid off after I left earlier this year) knows about my health and he actually knows about my brother too since I found out he had cancer while I was still working there.  I'm going to do my best to take it easy.  I'm hourly so I just wont get paid if I go home sick.  I'm ok with that.  My health comes first.

Tonight I'm going to have my husband shave some of my head.  I'm gonna keep what's left of the front of my hairline and parts of the sides/back of the head but get rid of the top stuff.  Each night I go to bed with the night cap on and it turns all around on my head and I wake up with hair in my face coming out of the cap.  I should probably just get rid of it all (minus the side burns and back) but I'm just not there yet.  Maybe I'll surprise myself tonight, who knows.  I'll keep you all updated.

I am truly grateful for this website and the people that share their lives on it.  All of us here truly have a bond that is hard to understand if you have never been through this "hurdle" in your life.  I look forward to being able to help others, as others are helping me understand and get through these rough patches that we call life. 

Girlpower
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 7:11am
I am having my first taxol treatment today.  i'm a little freaked out about it.  I'm starting to associate food at chemo with wanting to vomit, not a good thing.  Oh and my side effect that was not expected (at least by me) is hemroids, I have one.  I was introduced to my first "sitz bath" by my mom. 
How have others reacted to Taxol treatment?  Mine is a 3 hour ordeal every 2 weeks.  Do you think I'll have an appettite for Turkey this week or is my stomach going to be all messed up?

Girlpower
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 8:31am
Girlpower,
I had taxotere and found it to be much easier on my stomach. But I did have problems with thrush. I used Nystatin to keep that at bay. I really think you will be fine for Thanksgiving.
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 12:13pm
Dear GirlPower,

How was your first Taxol?

My DW had a reaction and was switched to Abraxane.

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 5:39pm
Hi girlpower,

How did your treatment go?  I would think you would be fine for Thanksgiving.  These chemos have a cumulative effect about them.

Some people I've known absolutely sailed thru their Taxol.  My daughter worked everyday while on that drug.  When I had Taxol I developed leg pain, we are all different in how we react.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 5:55pm
Dear GirlPower,
How are you? Please post an update. Concerned for you...

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 12:10pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your concern.  I am doing ok, only 2 more taxol treatments to go.  I started work again on November 2nd and I have been drained when I come home from work.  My routine consists of going to work, coming home and hopping into bed and just watching tv and then pushing myself to get the energy to do laundry. 

For the most part I have had muscle spasms/pain, stomach pain, the usual hot flashes and insomnia.  The steriods have been making the back side of me sore to the touch.  I have had thrush a bunch of times with this treatment.  I am happy to say for the most part, the naseau is gone--I am so thankful for that. 

The hip hat is a huge success at work.  People who don't know what happened just think I either got into hats or am supporting my brother through his hair loss (lung cancer stage 4).  Obviously word has gotten out at work to some, I told a couple people then you know the rest.  I'm fine with it.  Some people try and keep track of me, checking in each day to see how I'm doing (which feels nice to be honest). 

My husband bought me Yoga for the Wii, has anyone done that either in conjunction with the real Yoga classes or just by themselves?  One of the things that work affected was the ability to go to my Yoga classes due to the time it was given at.

Unklez--What symptoms did your wife have with the Taxol?  When I first started I was freaked out about having issues especially since the nurse stood there for 10 minutes making sure I was ok the first time.  Has her treatment plan altered with the new treatment--is it still every week or is she back to every two weeks?  After chemo is your wife having a 6 week break and then doing radiation?  A week after my last chemo I have to have an MRI of the breast to look again at my margins and then figure out if I need additional surgery.  If I don't we would proceed with the radiation 6 weeks later.

I recently got the TNBC brochures in the mail and I am excited to hand them out to the cancer centers and surgeons office.  I wish I had something like that when I started.  It would definitely have made my treatment plan easier to decide.

Girlpower

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by girlpower731 girlpower731 wrote:

My husband bought me Yoga for the Wii, has anyone done that either in conjunction with the real Yoga classes or just by themselves?  One of the things that work affected was the ability to go to my Yoga classes due to the time it was given at.

Before bc, I used the WII for exercise a couple of times a week.  I really loved the Yoga on the WII because you know if you're doing the poses correctly or not.  I'm looking forward to using the WII again very soon.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 3:06pm

Hi Girlpower,

It's good to hear from you and you are almost done with your chemo, that is wonderful.

I had Taxol and did have bad leg pain but that isn't the case for everyone, we all respond differently.

Keep us updated and best wishes to you,

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic