FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have ACT Chemo Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
unklezwifeonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklezwifeonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 5:17pm
Thank you for your wishes Dear Linda. Best wishes to you too.
Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Grade: High. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. Kicked from E5103 due to Taxol reaction. Now on AC->Abraxane. Zometa (S0307).
girlpower731 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 5:40pm
How does one go about picking a place to get their chemo.  There is a fairly new cancer center not far from where I live.  Up until today, I was planning on going there. 

I went for my second appointment with my main oncologist and I don't feel that it's the right fit.  Does that make me a bad person?  I feel that this particular person (which I will not name) is just going through the motions with me without really looking at my unique situation.  I really liked how my second opinion really felt passionate about my case (that's pure opinion).  I felt that oncologist #2 did everything they could to figure out the best plan for me and I'm greatful for that.  This second oncologist will have a new cancer center opening this October and it's supposed to be state of the art.  The original place where I was going is new as well, only 1 year old, but on a much smaller scale.

What do I need to look at in determining where I want my treatment?  I am going to meet with another oncologist at location #1 to see if that is a better fit and I'm going to contact oncologist #2 and see if I would be able to be one of their patients or if I would be with someone else on their team.  Convenience shouldn't be a determining factor.  If I use oncologist #2's treatment regimen, should it matter who is treating me?  I'm just so confused right now.  Can someone make some sense of this.

On a side note, my brother does use location #2 (different oncologist though since his is lung cancer) and he thinks it's great. 

Also, if I do the ACT treatment it's pretty set in stone that I'm going to have a port, right?  When the original plan was 4 sessions total of CT there was no port.  Does the port hurt after it's in?  I've never even had a drain after surgery.  My brother has the port, but I've never seen it on him.

It's sad, I'm so stressed out now, just wait till next week when I get injections of hormones in me (I'm harvesting my eggs in a few weeks).  I'm trying to make sound decisions now before I get all emotional.

One final question.  I know nothing about ports.  Can they draw blood from ports or do you still get stuck in the arm for that?  They gave me a video but I can't watch it.  If it has to get done, the sleep shades go on and it gets done. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklezwifeonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 6:23pm
Dear GirlPower,

1. Many factors go into choosing where to get chemo. How you like the oncologist and the nursing staff's, their bedside manner, the quality of care they give you, how often and when the doc will see you during treatment, their patience, whether they have everything thats needed to get tests, scans etc right there or whether they will send you different places, proximity to your home/work etc.

2. Personally I would not like to go back to the first oncologist and ask them to administer some one else's recommended chemo into me. But it is totally fine by some. You have to do what's right for you. There is no "right" here. Although from your post it appears that you like the second oncologist. Besides giving you the treatment plan that made sense to you, the doc was more in tune with you, and your brother goes to that facility and has recommended it. And they will have a newer, better facility better!

3. Here is a good site describing ports. I am told that intervention radiologists are better trained to place the port although surgeons do a fine job also.

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatments/Chemotherapy/Linesports/Implantableport

Good luck!

Love,

Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Grade: High. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. Kicked from E5103 due to Taxol reaction. Now on AC->Abraxane. Zometa (S0307).
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 6:30pm
Dear girlpower731,

As a person who 'broke up' with her first oncologist...I knew the first meeting we were not a 'right fit'.  The fact that he would not tolerate any questions, and information was on a 'need to know basis' and I didn't need to know anything (according to him).  Do not let convenience be a deciding factor.  You are placing your life in the hands of this oncologist and his team.  They must meet your needs....you need to be treated by the most aggressive, evidence-based treatment protocol for your TNBC.  You must have an oncologist/team that is knowledgeable about current treatments, studies, trials, research, regarding your TNBC.  You must have an oncologist/team who gives you information so that you may make INFORMED decisions and be open to discussion without feeling threatened.  You must have a patient focused team - not a convenience focused team.  You must have access to support, education, services to address your needs - side effects from chemotherapy, etc.

If you do not want a port...ask about the option of a PICC line inserted by an interventional radiologist...they can draw blood work and give chemotherapy through the PICC line. 

Remember this is all about you....if you sense a dismissive attitude from the first oncologist....this may be a foreshadowing of how he will respond to any secondary concerns you may have along the course of treatment.

I went from tonsillectomy age 5 to mastectomy age 53 (and nothing in between). I have a needle phobia - you name it scares me about hospital settings....but a funny thing happens - you 'just do it'.  Mark it off the list and move to the next - because at the end of that list...there is the bottom line - "Getting on with the rest of my life".

Do not fear chemotherapy - (okay I never looked at the needles) but - I called it 'liquid gold' coursing through my veins.

You can do this and we will help you.

Love,
Connie

P.S. I drive more than two hours to my new oncologist - and I wait hours some times to see her....and believe me it is worth it just to feel safe, and well cared for - not dismissed and irrelevant.

girlpower731 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 7:09pm
I will call oncologist #2 on Tuesday and see what my chances are to being a patient of hers then.  If not, maybe she can recommend another oncologist on her team that has her passion and commitment towards their patients.  The second place will be a world class cancer center.

The 14-story, nearly 500,000 square-foot building will include 112 inpatient beds, outpatient treatment rooms, expanded operating rooms, infusion suites, diagnostic imaging services, therapeutic radiology, a specialized Women's Cancer Center and the Yale-New Haven Breast Center/GYN Oncology Center.

This second place may require some waiting, both in traffic and from having more patients, but Connie I think you are right, piece of mind is a powerful thing, to know that you are in the right hands.

Right now I am not working.  I was hoping to go back to a temp position that I had when it gets closer to winter, but I'll see how I feel after I have a couple chemo sessions under my belt.

As for chemo, I'm not scared.  Maybe the night before I may be a little anxious, but I'm going through this process as whatever it takes, I'll do it.  So while I may sound sorta like a "baby" at times with the whole port thing, if it's needed (and it seems like it would be with ACT) I'm gonna put my night shades on and get it done.  Mark my word though, I will NEVER watch that video that the doc gave me.  Do what you gotta do, but I don't need to know everything, that is my thought. 

For the women out there that were premenapausal before treatment, did you experience any ranging hormones during treatment or did that subside drastically?  The reason why I'm asking is this--I have been on a birth control that allows me to get my period once every three months.  It has helped me tremendously with my migraines.  With a typical monthly period, I would get migraines two weeks prior to the period (ovulation time) and then a big one during my period that would knock me out.  I'm wondering if my hormones will kind of fall asleep and thus have the migraines stop.  I'm not opposed to stopping the birth control pills, but I want the right to revisit the situation if my migraines get out of control.  I can't imagine chemo every two weeks and migraines either both those week or the off weeks. 

Hopefully I'm be ok, gotta focus on the big picture, having a beautiful baby when I'm healthy sometime in the future.
Frankenboob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenboob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2009 at 1:45am
Girlpower,

Do you by chance have anyone who is going to these appointments with you? I find them to be overloaded with information and my friends have been able to ask questions I never thought of. I feel very blessed where I receive my treatment. Everyone is so kind and patient. I had back to back appointments with my oncologist and breast surgeon and the breast surgeon waited for me (I was and hour and 45 mintues late from the oncologist's appointment). They are never rushed, never look at watches or clocks or act bored...they sit and talk with me until I am done. With the recommendations, they thoroughly explain everything, the why, the steps, and then they each have nurses who even do a follow up with me. If you can, please have someone with you...and I wish you all the best...it sounds like you have a lovely plan with a new baby also!! Speedy recovery!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklezwifeonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2009 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Frankenboob Frankenboob wrote:

Girlpower,

Do you by chance have anyone who is going to these appointments with you? I find them to be overloaded with information and my friends have been able to ask questions I never thought of.....

Excellent suggestion Frankie. DH goes with me every visit and does not leave until he gets all our questions answered. And believe me we have lots of questions every visit!!!

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2009 at 7:28am
Dear girlpower,

In the chemo tips there is a detailed post from Connie about the port/PICC line, and you might want to read that. Trust me on this one, as Connie has posted many times as to the "right person" to do both procedures, and this is very important. Lori did not have either, and of course near the end of her 6 chemo treatments, her veins were getting hard. Now she has to have blood draws from her hand with a pediatric needle.

It is a fact that chemo destroys all your veins, not just the ones used for infusions.

It is also a good idea to take some sort of recording device with you to your appointments, and the doctors should not object to this. You are not going to remember every little detail which is explained at that time, and every little detail is very important.
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 6:22am
Hey all.   I had my first A/C on September 3 and other than some sensitive tummy issues I handled it o.k.   I still feel a little nauseated but I don't know if it's just ME thinking about it or if I really have it!    lol    I'm anemic so I have to take iron pills (which could be the culprit too).   

Anywho, I'm having 4 A/C (every 2 weeks) and then having 12 weekly Taxol treatments.   I'll have bilateral mastectomies after that and I'm assuming radiation since I had microscopic cells found in one of my lymph nodes during a biopsy.

I'm just wondering........Is Taxol easier on the stomach than A/C?   I wish they would have given me a pamphlet on how to "prepare your stomach" before chemo but I'm not sure if there is such a thing.   Maybe I need to write one.  lol

I'm taking Prilosec and a colace every night for constipation (along with that darned iron pill).   I have my next chemo on September 18 and I am PRAYING the tummy issues don't rear their ugly head again because it was miserable!

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 6:46am
Dear Tabatha,

Taxol is believed to be easier on the stomach than A/C. But chemo in general attacks rapidly dividing cells and the GI tract does have normal rapidly diving cells. So you may get tummy problems with Taxol too.

To prepare your stomach before, during and after chemo, try bland food which has lots of fiber from whole wheat, fruits, veggies and protein from nuts, beans, legumes, low fat yogurt, lean meats and fish. Drink lots of light and clear fluids like water, unsweetened carbonated water, unsweetened iced tea. Avoid fried and sweet stuff.

By the way, if you have mastectomy and if your tumor was originally < 5cm and if you had less than 4 positive nodes, radiation may not be needed. Your oncologist may advise for or against it so be open to it either ways.

Regards, Unkle

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:03am
I actually have an excisional biopsy on May 22 where they removed the tumor.    It was 2.2 or 2.5 cm (differing reports).   I'd actually rather have radiation as a precaution if it is going to reduce my risk for recurrence.   I'm doing neoadjuvnct (sp) chemo so I guess it will be up to what they find when I have my bilateral mastectomies after chemo is done.

I appreciate all the advice.  I'm hoping I can get my stomach in better shape before my next chemo a week from Friday.  
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:15am
Dear Tabatha,

Once they do the chemo they may not find any cancer cells in there during bilateral mastectomies. But let's see what your oncologist says about the benefit of radiation.

Also, DW wants to know what kind of reconstruction are you going for, if any?

Regards, Unkle

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:52am
Tabatha:

Are they giving you any anti-nausea drugs before or after chemo?  I know they give me Emend and another drug prior to chemo (T/C) and then I take Emend capsules and Desamethosone (Decadron) on day 2 and 3 following chemo, plus Pepcid.  This has helped prevent the nausea for me.  I know you're on a different chemo regime so it may be different for you.  I'd ask your onc if there is anything they can give you to help with the nausea.

After my chemo treatments, I crave bland food.  I found that I love yogurt, especially vanilla flavor and keep a refrigerator full of it.  Good luck with your treatments!  I have one more to go and looking forward to getting the taste buds back in my tongue and having food taste normal again.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:31am
I'm having skin sparing reconstruction after my bilateral mastectomies.    I'll be having an expander put in with an implant to follow after that I believe is how it works!

My onc gave me Decadron to take for the 1st 3 days after chemo, 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening.   They help great for nausea but my sensitive stomach was caught off guard by the chemo I think and it gave me a fit.    I'm now taking a Prilosec in the morning and then taking my iron pill and colace at night before I go to bed and HOPEFULLY the next treatment my stomach will be coated well enough to give me a better outcome.   Here's hoping, right?    lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklezwifeonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 1:41pm
Dear Tabatha,

The bilateral mastectomy will be skin sparing. What this means is that the breast surgeon will leave sufficient skin for the plastic surgeon to work with, provided the skin is not involved. This option is offered usually when you are going for immediate reconstruction. Otherwise, the breast surgeon removes more of the skin. The plastic surgeon will put in the expander right after that and stitch you up. Then he will fill saline into the expander during office visits over the next few weeks to expand the tissues. Once the expander has done its job and expanded the chest tissue, he will surgically exchange the expanders for the actual implants. About 3 months after that, if you want you can get nipple and areola reconstructed. Those 2 are usually simple in-office procedures.

The iron pill can also cause constipation. Ask your doctor if they would switch you to a low dose iron pill.

Decadron is a steroid and believed to be very effective for nausea. But it can cause increased appetite and weight gain. Do watch out for that. If you have worries on that front, ask your oncologist if other drugs like Emend, Kytril and/or Compazine would work. Each has some side effects but its something to ask about.

Love, Aunty

KeepBreathing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeepBreathing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:24pm
Re: BioIdentical Hormones

Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading the posts so far and actually have a response!

I took bioidentical hormones for 1.5 years when I first started having intense hot flashes etc. I was 47.
I also heard Dr Phil's wife was on them. My surgeon adamantly and passionately emphasized to me that it makes NO difference, hormones are hormones, she said. I am a proponent of all things natural, eat only organic food and exercise 6 days a week. oh well.

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:52pm
If the doctor indicates that hormones are hormones, then I'd go with bio-identical. Natural is definitely better.

lysie05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lysie05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 9:49pm
yes, i had this treatment last year.  i did 4 biweekly AC and 12 weekly T.  I tried to schedule mine on Fridays so i had the weekends to feel better.  Although i lost my hair and had other chemo related issues i was not very sick.  Mostly just tired.  I found that the medications were overkill and dropped back a little each week to find the right dose for me. 

My circumtstances are very similar to yours.  I had been married 7 months.  also was had migraines (no migraines since treatment started).  I did not have the gene but elected to have a hysterectomy as well due to the increased risk of ovarian cancer.  I also elected to have a double mastectomy.  I chose DIEP tram flap reconstruction.  They use your abdominal tissue to reconstruct.  The result is a tummy tuck (you probably dont need that since you havent had kids yet but i sure did)  and no problems that you get with implants.  while some people do well with implants i noted that even in a routine implant there was a 44% rate of problems in the first 2 years. Everyone i knew had scar tissue issues and also they have a limited life span .  So for me i decided this was the best option to prevent future complications and surgery.  It is a more natural look.  It does require more surgical time to reconstruct though.  Im very happy with the results.
i'm happy to answer any questions you have.
ps... chemo is a great opportunity for some me time.  find a great book or just enjoy a peaceful nap.
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 2:57am
I took all three at the same time.... Every three weeks.First Two weeks i did not feel that great.... the third week was pretty good.  I took six treatments total. I am cancer free today! December will be the two year mark and I am having reconstruction....
Breast cancer positive does well with just TC but my doctor feels right now the A helps triple negative.....We are winning!!!!!!
I would not wait to long for treatment. TN is agressive...
God Bless you,

Vickyann
Dx Christmas/07
Stage2 Grade 3
no nodule braca neg
lung nodule no growth
TAC x 6 no rad
finished chemo June 08 reconstruction 12/09
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 8:21am
Dear KeepBreathing,

"My surgeon adamantly and passionately emphasized to me that it makes NO difference, hormones are hormones, she said. I am a proponent of all things natural, eat only organic food and exercise 6 days a week. oh well."

Well, apparently your surgeon has not taken the time to become educated on the biodentical hormones. There is a huge difference between putting mares urine in your body as compared to a hormone which has the same molecular structure as your own hormones.

Also every GYN was prescribing the synthetic HRT and birth control pills for years, and now we have hundreds of thousands...no ...millions of women with bc, and yet they continue to prescribe them? This has been an ongoing discussion here on the site, and since my daughter Lori has been on them since June, I will continue to post that she now has quality of life.

So tell your surgeon that she needs to become educated on the bios/antiaging, as this is definitely the new age of medicaine. I will bring a post/thread forward for you that Sunris, (Dawn) started, so that you can read an article. But of course, you already know how great they are. Lori's rad onc was a bit upset when she told hm she was on the biodenticals, but as she said, she researched for months, and she also says that it is not her responsibility to educate her doctors....they need to do the research also!! Her PCP is fine with them.

Lori and I were talking the other night as to why women are not on the bios while on chemo. May I ask where you went for your biodenticals? Lori goes to Pittsburgh to an antiaging clinic.

The statement that a woman cannot take estrogen after bc is very puzzling. The body needs estrogen to be healthy, and it is not a case of the estrogen causing the cancer, it is an imbalance of all the hormones which most likely cause the bc...every type, and who knows...maybe all cancers. Are you on vitamin D3? The immune system is another problem also, and D3 helps that.

If you haven't gotten the book, Anticancer a New Way of life by David Servan-Schreiber, please do so. You sound just like my Lori...exercise all week, runs, hikes or bikes daily, organic foods, etc. Big%20smile

Ok again welcome,Clap
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic