FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have ACT Chemo Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
girlpower731 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 6:03am
Wow, I just wrote this long reply and it didn't post.  So here is a short version.

Unklez, i think the only difference between the treatment is that I opted for the dense does (so every 2 weeks).

For hairloss, haven't seen anything on my pillow yet and I kept my girl area down there with a little bit of groomed hair--that hasn't come out at all (from what I can tell).  My hair in general has appeared to have grown since I cut it on Sept 17th, so not sure if there was any growth since then in that area.  Armpits still have hair growth.  So if this is tmi for some.

Have your wife check with her doctor about the lupran shots.  I'm not sure if there are different doses.  But I am receiving them every 4 weeks.  The fertility doctor is the one administering it to me and he said that they can last up to 6 weeks, but we are doing every 4 weeks for me.  There is no price implication for him doing it every 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks as he donated one shot himself and then had the company donate the other 3 shots for me (which was great, b/c I wasn't sure my insurance would have covered it).

Your wife is around my age (i'm now 32) so this website might interest her.  I purchased the underhair with my own hair that I cut last month.  I have a wig that I absolutely love the style for (but it does tend to get itchy).  not sure if that is because I still have a little hair of my own underneath or what.  Anyhow, this wig alternative is my favorite.  I would hightly recommend it to anyone who is losing their hair.  If you don't want to or can't use your own hair, they have real hair available (and not for thousands of dollars like the real hair wigs) and this new synthetic hair that can have HEAT applied to it (which regular synthetic wigs cannot).  Here is the link:

For christmas, I'm going to get the ponysport (probably in the synthetic hair) I love them so much.

Girlpower
dx: age 31. Stage 2a, BRCA1/2 -, Lumpectomy 8/09, AC/Taxol dense dose 9/09-1/10
susied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:14am
First Taxol was yesterday....I got there at 9:00 am and finally got home after 4pm.....long, long day!   The premeds went on for 3 hours all seperate to see if & how I might react.....had no reactions and then the Tax which I gotta say was anti-climatic after all the earlier stuff!!!   It went in easy and SO FAR, no reaction except my feet already itch which may mean nothing or mean I will be one of those   gals who peels on the bottom of their feet....JOY...not!!!!!

Still feeling great....scary good infact!  No side effects that I can detect...on a bit of a steroid high and go for neulasta later today so then it will all crash around me but if it is the worst I can expect....I will say "OK, I can do this"........

Hope all of you are doing ok!

susiedApprove
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:17am
Hi Susie, yes what a long day, wow.

So good to read ou are feeling good.  Prayers your treatments continue w/o any bad side effects.

Keep us updated!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:21am
Susied..

I hope your feet are not a problem. There are some here that have had a problem but fortunately mine did not peel. I did have some swelling on the balls of my feet. Felt like I was walking on golf balls. I still have that problem from time to time even though I'm out of treatment since November.
I only had to take Nuelasta one time. My white count did rather well throughout.
I am having my port removed Monday after 14 months. Yippeeee
Keep us posted..

Love, Hugs, and Prayers,
Carol 
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:25am
Originally posted by girlpower731 girlpower731 wrote:

.... Unklez, i think the only difference between the treatment is that I opted for the dense does (so every 2 weeks).....

She is getting 4 AC Dose Dense and then 12 weekly T. Not sure whether your T will be Dose Dense or 12 weekly. There is not much medical difference between these 2. The clinical trial she is on does T weekly and certain other research hospitals offer T weekly also.

Originally posted by girlpower731 girlpower731 wrote:

....Have your wife check with her doctor about the lupran shots.  I'm not sure if there are different doses.........

Yes there are different doses.

Thanks and keep up the posts!

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:26am
Dear Carol,
Congratulations on reaching the milestone of removing the port.
Are you going to keep it at home?

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:33am

unklez,

Am I going to keep my port at home????? LOL...Are you joking???? I am laughing...should I be...LOL....
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 8:07am
As a souvenir, decoration piece, a reminder to get your annual/semi-annual mammos, to remind your friends and family members to get their mammos, etc....
OR
Just get rid of it....

Up to you of course!

Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 8:18am
Susie, my feet began to peel from the taxol,  so i bought bag baum and used it twice a day, within a few days the peeling stopped, the itching I used eucerin moisturizer cream.   hope that helps...
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 8:31am
unklez,

I really didn't know that I would go home with it.   Do I have to ask for it or is it a given?
Funny or not....I laughed and any laugh is a good laugh...thank you!
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 9:17am
I think you will hve to ask....

That's good that you got a laugh out of my post!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 9:26am

Also, "what men would do" was hilarious. Had to read that one to my hubby...

St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Carol (Tenn) Carol (Tenn) wrote:

Also, "what men would do" was hilarious. Had to read that one to my hubby...

Got to have a sense of humor in these times.....
susied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Autumn10182001 Autumn10182001 wrote:

Susie, my feet began to peel from the taxol,  so i bought bag baum and used it twice a day, within a few days the peeling stopped, the itching I used eucerin moisturizer cream.   hope that helps...
]]

So far, just burning feelings on the ball of my Coolright foot but I will look into the bag baum (not familiar with it) and hope for the best!!!!!  Thanks for the info!

susied
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 1:18pm
Susie,

Recently my Onc's PA suggested for my Neuropathy to soak your feet in warm water for awhile.  Maybe this will help. 
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:18am
Unklez--I will be doing Taxol every two weeks, just like I'm going the AC every two weeks.  For some reason, this past chemo treatment (on Monday) has really been making me nauseaus to the point where I can feel it.  I'm going to call the nurse practitioner today so she can prescribe this other medication that I can take with the compazine, can't remember the name atm.

As far as the port comment in earlier in the post, my nurse at the chemo center mentioned that Sharon Osborne had a port and she kept it and put it in a frame.  I would think that you would have to ask them prior to the procedure as they have to make the port sanitary for you to bring home.

Best of luck.

Girlpower

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:02am

Girlpower,

You are doing so well. I am amazed at your attitude about this whole thing. Keep up the good work.
I will ask for my port Monday. I hope I can remember to do that. I keep saying I have chemo brain but then I'm also 67 yrs old. Put them both together and you almost have a blubbering idiot...LOL
My granddaughter is in college and plans to be a Radiologist. She is doing her clinicals now and watched a port put in last week. She told me all about it. I told her I was there, but slept through it..Wink 

unklez,
I try my best to keep my sense of humor. Sometimes thought I'm the only one who thinks I'm funny....!!!
Have a great day everyone..
Love, Hugs and Prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:51pm

......I try my best to keep my sense of humor. Sometimes thought I'm the only one who thinks I'm funny....

At least you enjoy your own humor. Thats a good start!!!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 1:32am

Girlpower,

You are doing so well. I am amazed at your attitude about this whole thing. Keep up the good work.
I will ask for my port Monday. I hope I can remember to do that. I keep saying I have chemo brain but then I'm also 67 yrs old. Put them both together and you almost have a blubbering idiot...LOL
My granddaughter is in college and plans to be a Radiologist. She is doing her clinicals now and watched a port put in last week. She told me all about it. I told her I was there, but slept through it..Wink 

Carol

Carol,

I have a video that my old onc gave me of the port if you want it for her.  I'm not sure what's on it as I am a baby and haven't even looked at my port since it has been placed on Oct. 5th.  My mom has been looking at it and of course the nurses, but not me.  I'm still trying to adjust to it.  Let me know and I'll dig out the port video (it's on a computer cd/dvd disc).

Girlpower

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 1:47am

GP,

That would be wonderful. Could you make a copy of it? I don't want to take it from you and then you decide you wanna look...Or send it to me and I'm make a copy and send the original back, how's that??Star
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic