FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any one else getting neoadj chemo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mbventura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbventura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any one else getting neoadj chemo?
    Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 12:02pm
It seems as if a lot of people on this site have had their surgeries first. My surgeon recommended getting chemo first in hopes of shrinking the 5 cm lump so I can hopfully just have lumpectomy instead of mastectomy.  Also, since I'm BRCA -, no one has mentioned double mastectomy but it seems like lots of women here have gone that route.  Just wondering? Thanks!
gmoney2400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney2400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 3:02pm
I had neoadj chemo first also to shrink the tumor but also to make sure we knew the chemo was working-meaning the tumor was shrinking.  It gave me peace of mind that the chemo was working.  I chose a bilateral to reduce my chances of local reoccurance and because I didnt want to be feeling my breasts 24/7.  It is a personal choice, one that you can only make.  Good luck with everything. 
Diagnosed April/08
Stage III, Grade 3
4AC/4Taxol completed May-August 08
October 08-Bilat-Mastectomy
November 08- Radiation
BRCA-
medavis15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medavis15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 4:42pm
I did chemo first (participated in a 2 clinical trials) did my surgery and doing a second round of chemo and eventually radiation.  I decided to have both of my breast removed for my peace of mind.  Both my onocologists and my breast surgeon were working very hard to save my breast but that is not what I wanted.  I did have a great amount of shrinkage with my tumor and lymphnode but still wanted the radical mastectomy. I did very well with my first bout of chemo and doing great with the second round.
jadesloge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadesloge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 5:26pm
I had neoadjuvant chemo too. It did shrink the tumor and allowed for a lumpectomy. I have had some unusual complications from the lumpectomy and almost wish that I had gone the mastectomy route. Best of luck to you.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 8:44pm

My biopsy failed, so I didn't have a for sure cancer diagnosis (but all the docs felt sure it was cancer) so I didn't have the triple neg status to consider when I had my lumpectomy.  My tumor was only 2.2 cm and I have D cup breasts, so they got the lump with clean margins with no real disfigurement beyond the scar.  I asked my oncologist if she would have suggested a mastectomy - or double - if we had known the type of tumor I had, and she said absolutely not.   A lumpectomy would still have been her first choice of surgery for me.   She said her big worry with me is not a recurrance in the breast, but mets - and a mastectomy wouldn't have saved me from that possibility.   I'm not a person that's going to go nuts feeling my boobs and driving myself crazy, it's not my personality type, so I'm at peace with my decision.   If I hadn't been BRAC - I wouldn't be so peaceful with it, I decided if I'd been positive I would have gone for the double mastectomy/full hysterectomy. 

IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
JanetK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 9:06am
I also decided to go neo adjuvant. I was diagnosed Feb/09. Chemo is working very well. The tumor has shrunk more than 50%. I have 2 more chemos to go with rads following. From what I understand, BRCA positive is a whole other matter, though. If I was positive I think I would have gone the mast. route. But, it's all a very personal decision to make. Good luck with your treatments.
hugs,
Janet
TNBC feb 13,2009
2.6x 3.5
neoadjuvant chemo 8 rounds
Lumpectomy successful Oct 09
axillary node dissection Nov 09
still awaiting results
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic