FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BamaRachel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaRachel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Newbie
    Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 1:47pm
Hi, my name is Rachel, and I'm 58 years ago.  I was diagnosed with TNBC back in early July 2011.  I was not surprised when I was diagnosed with breast cancer as somehow I always knew that I would someday hear those words.  Both my mom and grandmother had breast cancer, although they were much older at diagnosis.  I also had many known risk factors for BC -- early menses, late first childbirth, weight, etc., etc., etc.  But what totally shocked me was the diagnosis of TNBC.  Having had a very close friend who had this same diagnosis over five years ago and who is today doing well with no signs of recurrence, I am optimistic that I too will beat this Beast.  Upon hearing the words "triple negative," I immediately found this website and this forum, and I cannot tell you how uplifting and positive it has been for me. 

I have had breast conserving surgery, 2.6c. tumor, 0/6 nodes negative.  I have completed three treatments of epirubicin/cytoxan with one more to go.  Then I will have four treatments of Taxotere followed by radiation (not sure how many yet).  If all goes as planned, I will finish chemo the week before Christmas and hopefully radiation by February/March, depending on when we begin rads. 

Treatments so far have not been too bad.  The meds given to fight the side effects are wonderful.  My WBC dropped very, very low right after the second treatment but rebounded very nicely so that I was able to have my third treatment.   All in all, I can truly say that I am blessed.  I have a very strong support system around me with many friends and family who are, in the words of Martina McBride's latest video, "loving me through this." 

I'm thankful to have found this website and am looking forward to encouraging, and being encouraged by, all of you!!

Smile
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 2:07pm
Hi Rachel,

Nice to meet you even though we have to share this disease.  I hope the rest of your treatment goes well and you have minimal side effects.  Have you had your Vitamin D level checked?  Most of us with TNBC have extremely low levels upon diagnosis.  There's a few threads talking about Vitamin D3 that you might want to check out.

With your family history of breast cancer, have you been checked for the BRCA gene? 

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.  We're here to help or just listen when we need to vent.  We understand what you're going through.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

BamaRachel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaRachel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 2:12pm
Thanks, Donna.  I did have my Vit. D level checked -- actually prior to my diagnosis by my GYN who put me on the 50,000 megadose once a week pill.  I finished taking that several weeks ago and am now on 5,000 units per day.  I also was Vit. B12 deficient, and have been taking weekly shots in addition to daily pills.  I did have the BRACA test done at my first meeting with the breast surgeon, and thankfully I am BRACA negative. 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 2:15pm
Rachel,

It seems you are really on top of things in regard to the testing.  Good for you and congrats on being BRCA negative.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 4:11pm
Hi Rachel,
I want to welcome you to the TNBC site. None of us want to be here, but it is nice to have such a terrific support group.

I am glad to hear that you have things in order with the testing and treatments. Good luck with everything and keep us posted about your progress.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic