FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another newbie
    Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 3:58pm
I found a lump in my right breast on 5/2.  After a mammo, u/s & core needle biopsies it was found that I had a grade III tumor + 1 intra-mammary node.  I got the news on  5/27. 

I underwent a mastectomy and axillary node dissection on 6/23.  I also found out that I am triple negative.  To think I was worried about the side effects of Tamoxifen and I am not even eligible to take it.  I knew very little about triple negative and then I found this site (hooray!).  Oh, they found another positive node at the time of surgery.  So I am a T1, N1, M0 AKA Stage II.  

I am hoping to get the 2nd JP drain pulled tomorrow from my surgical site.  TAC is set to start on 7/17 - 6 cycles.  After that will be 7 weeks of radiation.   My greatest frustration in this process has been the lack of knowing others in my situation.   My friends and family are doing their best to empathize but that they can not totally relate. 

About me--I am 48 years old.  I have completed 19 marathons + countless other athletic events.  I have been a personal trainer for the past few years.  I have had to put that on hold for the time being.

Any insight that any of you can provide about TAC, neulastin, steroids for chemo, radiation & reconstruction would be most appreciated.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 4:28pm
Hello Skye, what a pretty name and welcome to our forum.Smile

I hope you will check out our News/Resource section as there is many tips for the chemo and radiation.  Also there is alot of other information on TNBC.

Congratulations on completeing 19 marathons, obviously you are very athletic and take care of yourself.

Do you  have any family history of cancer?  Many women with the BRCA 1 mutation have triple neg, here is a website where you can learn more about familial cancer  http://www.facingourrisk.org

The last link is a good source for learning about chemotherapy, what to expect etc..  Use the search to type in what you are taking and it will take you right to where you want to go plus there is other valuable information.

Best wishes and please jump in anytime with questions or venting, whatever is on your mind.

Edited by trip2 - Jul 07 2009 at 4:30pm
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 7:06pm
Wow Skye, 19 marathons - that is impressive!  All that physical and mental power will be a real ally as you move through the next few months.   I'm not a real athlete, but I do yoga and walk regularly, and found that continuing to exercise through treatment really helped me maintain my basic health and sanity.   Given that you are so physically orientated, you might find it helpful too.  Welcome to our community.  I hope you'll feel comfortable expressing yourself and processing the experience and all the decisions you'll have to make along the way.
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
dmayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 3:51pm
Hi Skye,

Welcome to the best ladies/gents to help you on this path (with your health team as well).  I found get tips in the resource section and fromt ehse ladies - ask lots of questions and take ideas/suggestion back to your onc to work into your plan.

I found that adding tumeric to my diet has really helped by (no nausea, good WBC counts and no neulastin for me!).  I add it to srambled eggs, with ginger and garlic and black pepper - yummo lunch and great anti-inflammatory powers.  Read the tips - great stuff.  I have just had my last chemo today (yippee) and have travelled very well through-out.  A bit of tiredness creeping in (gets worse through the treatments) but by walking/moving each day - I have worked through it and feel much better at the end of each day.  Worked for me.

Good luck on this journey and keep us informed - Love Debs
Debs | Laugh every day, Love every minute.
Dx Mar09 - LB IDC 4.5cm - 0 nodes. BRCA -
Cytoxin/Taxotere x4 end Jul09.
ReCon surgery March10.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic