FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another newb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another newb
    Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 6:38pm
Hi all.  I'm Laura and I'm a 3 year TNBC survivor.  Here's my story. 

I lost my husband to pancreatic cancer in July 2005.  I was due for my mammogram right around then, but as you can imagine, it was not on my mind at the time.  My mother (bless her heart) kept bugging me to get my mammogram.  I had never had any problems before so I kept putting it off.  I finally made my appt in early March 2006 and my ob/gyn did a breast exam and did not find anything.  I had my mammogram about a week later.  They called me the next morning and said they needed to do additional views. 

The rest was pretty much a blur.  Ultra sound, biopsy, lumpectomy, then mastectomy, all within a couple of weeks.  I was told I had Triple Negative breast cancer 4 cm, stage 2B, which really meant nothing to me.  I did not do any research on it, which was odd because when my husband was diagnosed, I was constantly on the internet and in touch with his doctors, trying to manage his illness.  I really don't know why when I got sick, I didn't do any of that. 

I had Adriomiacin and Cytoxon, then taxotere.  Then my radiation. 

I did really well through all of my chemo and radiation, although the radiation really wiped me out. 

I never really understood why my doctor was so excited after all my visits with how well I did.  She even jumped up and down a bit one visit!!  I have only recently learned more about TNBC and realize how lucky I've been so far. 

Sorry for the long-winded post.  :) 

Edited by lma - Nov 16 2009 at 7:18pm
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 8:19pm
Laura,

Welcome to this site and you have an amazing story.  You've been through so much in the past 4 years and are a true survivor.  You'll find so much useful information from the members on this site, who are so supportive and knowledgeable.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 9:15pm
Laura,  Sorry about the loss of your Husband.  Sounds like you have had alot go on in the last few years.    Good Luck and God Bless Julia
TNBC IDC BRAC 1/2 neg- lymp neg- 9mm stage 1 grade 3 diag 4/9/09 TCx4 every 3 weeks finished chemo 8/31/09 rads start 10/12/09
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 11:06pm
Laura,
Welcome to this great site. So sorry about losing your husband and then starting down this journey.
My tumor was a big smaller but my treatment was exactly the same as yours.
I am so glad to hear you are doing so well three years out.
There are a lot of young women here that will rejoice when they read your story.
Again, welcome
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 11:18pm
Dear Laura,
You have had an amazing experience. God bless you.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 11:23am
Dear Laura,

welcome to TNBCFoundation...I believe this is a wonderful organization/website.

Very sorry about your loss...

Prayers and ++++ vibrations being sent your way,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
MaryinSarasota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 12:51pm
Hi Laura,

Welcome to TNBC. We are very happy to have you and learn your story. Having toughened out the three-year mark for your cancer we welcome your input.

Take care,
Mary
53 @ Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC-6, radiation-34 12/18/08
NED-10/09, PBM w/TE recon. 7/10, removal of TE/infec 8/10. CT chest. Rec fat-graft & stem cells
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 8:55pm
Hi laura and welcome to our forum.

I am so very very sorry to read about your husband, you have my condolences.

You have been thru the mill and came back, congrats on your doing well now.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic