FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another ? - Lymphatic Vascular Invasion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another ? - Lymphatic Vascular Invasion
    Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 10:13am
What exactly does this mean?   When they removed my tumor itself the path report said "extensive lymphatic vascular invasion"........what the heck does that mean?   I have invasive ductal carcinoma so wouldn't that make sense to have vascular invasion?   Can anyone explain that to me?
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 11:29am
Cebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 1:23pm
Standard disclaimer: I am not a doctor...But as I understand it, breast cancer can spread through the lymph nodes or the blood vessels (that's the "vascular" part)--while lymphovascualr invasion is one of a number of factors that oncologists will look at to determine how aggressively a tumor/cells are acting, it does not necessarily mean there is spread--in my sister's case she also had a finding of lymphovascular invasion on her path report, but as far as we know today, the cancer has not spread.  Her doctor described it as the cells "scratching at the door" trying to get out, but (God Willing) not getting there.  Hope that helps. 
Sister DX'ed 11/08
Lumpectomy & SN biopsy 12/08
1.1 cm tumor, node neg (0/2)
Stage 1
DD A/C x 4, Taxol x 4, completed 4/17/09
33 rads (incl 8 boost), completed 6/22/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic