FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost like a hot flash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost like a hot flash
    Posted: Aug 23 2009 at 5:58pm
So I've made it through menopause, chemo, surgery and almost through radiation but I'm having these hot flashes. If I take a drink of water they stop. Anybody else had this weird thing?

My latest blood test showed the BUN was high for the first time and had a note that said H2O on it. Kinda concerned about it.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 7:06am
I was pre-menapausal, I had my last period after my first A/C, then started having brutal hot flashes with my first Taxol.  I've done 30 of 33 radiation treatments, I feel the radiation is causing my hot flashes to be much worse, more frequent and they last longer.  I'm hoping that once I finish (on Wednesday!) they will start getting better. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 7:42am
Thanks Kelly, that's interesting. Since part of being TN involves Estrogen negative I kept thinking that was a clue. But the BUN results alarmed me. Like you, I'm hopeful that once I finish radiation they will go away. Congratulations that you're almost done with the rads. Long haul, eh?

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 7:46am
I feel truly DONE - exhausted & "cooked".  I had a hot flash that lasted 20 minutes last night and left me nauseaus.....I'm sick of being sick!  And sick of being whiney! 

End of pity party, I have work to do. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
gammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:16am
I've had hot flashes since my 1st chemo treatment 5-08 and still having them. My last chemo treatment was 12-08 and ended 33 treatments of rad 3-09.

If you find out anything that will help or make them go away please let me know. I would give anything for just 1 good night of sleep!

Best wishes,
Sheila

Edited by gammy - Aug 24 2009 at 9:17am
STAGE 3A 5CM TUMOR,TN. FOUND ANOTHER TUMOR AND 3 POSIT. NODES DURING SURG. L/R BRST REMOVED AND 22 NODES. 3MOS CHEMO PRE SURG.3MOS CHEMO POST SURG. 33 TREATMENTS OF RADI. DIAGN.5/08.CANCER FREE 5/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 5:59pm
Sheila, I ran into my radiology doctor in the hall and asked him about hot flashes, he said he can give me a prescription for it....I'll get the name of it for you. He said it works really well and that the hot flashes are not uncommon during chemo or radiation. I'll have it tomorrow.

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 6:03pm
Dear Sheila,

Well, I have posted this several times, and I will post once again. Lori has been on biodentical hormones since the beginning of June, and finally has quality of life. No hot flashes, no aches, no pain, and feels absolutely wonderful. After all the chemo and rads which absolutely destroyed her body, screwed up her immune system, and left her feeling "void of all feelings", she is now enjoying her life after breast cancer.

Lori has eliminated all sugar, white flour, and all processed foods from her diet. She takes about 4000 iu's of D3 every day and many other vitamins. Her last chemo treatment was the day after Thanksgiving in 2007, and her rads ended in January of 2008. Since that time she had hot flashes, and everything all of you women are posting about.

Don't you all think it is about time to start researching for yourselves and take back your life? Many of you are still on chemo or having radiation, but there are many vitamins/supplements that you could be taking even now which may help you through the treatments and in fact lessen the effects of chemo and rads.

If you think for one minute that the doctors actually care about how you live the rest of your life after being diagnosed with TNBC, think again. Perhaps there are some who might want to help you reagain some normalcy, but most will just prescribe yet another drug which only compounds the problems. It is a vicious cycle, and they never get to the root of the problems.

Your immune system is so compromised from the treatments, and evidently was compromised when you were diagnosed. It is time to start researching as to hormone imbalance, and you will see exactly what Lori saw, and then she made her decision based on that. She looks beautiful, vibrant, no longer has chemo brain/fog, and it all started getting better not more than 2 weeks after starting the biodenticals. You think what you may about biodenticals, but I know my daughter is not looking back...only ahead, and is now healthy, and enjoying life, and is not on any meds manufactured by the drug companies.
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 1:48pm
Sheila, the radiologist says he recommends highly "Neurontin" for hot flashes. Best of luck.

KatieMarie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 2:12pm
Sorry about the hot flashes, yuk!  That is sure something to look forward to. 

I am on Neurontin/Gabapentin for anti-nausea during chemo.  I am wondering if I get to stay on it for Taxol for anti-nausea and neuropathy, and then maybe avoid the hot flashes altogether?

I have not had any nausea problems on the first three rounds of AC on gabapentin, I highly recommend giving it a try if the other stuff isn't working for any of you.

Blessings!  Katie
IDC dx 4/24/09, Age 40
Two surgeries, three tumors: 1.4cm,4mm,2mm; Ki67=75
Stage 1, no node involvement, clean margins
BRCA 1/2 negative,
Chemo: AC dose dense then Taxol dose dense, then rads
GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 4:55pm
I hate to hear about the hot flashes ,but I am relieved it is not just my imagination.  Does anyone get cold chills for no reason too?  Good Luck to All Julia    P.S.  Number four granchild entered the world 8-22-09 Avery Jane 6lbs 10 oz 19 inches long grandbabies are such a blessing from God

Edited by GRANNY - Aug 25 2009 at 4:58pm
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 5:10pm
 Baby Dear Granny,

Congratulations on the new grandbaby. Our number 6 great-grandson was born in June, and they are indeed a blessing!!
Many hugs,
Nancy

Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic