FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Age-Longevity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age-Longevity
    Posted: Jul 03 2020 at 2:51pm
I was just curious...I don’t want to live to be 100, but I would like to see my grandchildren grow up.  Wondering how old the oldest TNBC survivors are.  If you think you might be one of the oldest, please chime in!
66 at diagnosis. 3/2019, AC/T, lumpectomy, 30 radiation. Complete 12/19. IDC, grade 2-3, 4 cores .2-1.5cm, yellow lobulated fibroadipose, stage pT1b, NO
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2020 at 10:27am
I may be the longest survivor on here at this point. If you look in the archives you’ll find topics about survivors. They’ve often been needed as inspiration. I rarely come on these days and the few that were  longer survivors than I, weren’t on a lot [back when I was.] we just get busy and cancer isn’t as prominent in our lives. 

I was dx in 2001. TNBC hadn’t been named. I only knew what I didn’t have.....no estrogen, no progesterone nor her2. Kind of in the dark. Other types had additional tx’s. Again...I had none. I don’t know when TN was actually named. Maybe 2005 or so. I learned what I’d had thru a customer newly dx. She was telling me she had an especially aggressive cancer...TN. I had to ask what that was. When she described I knew that’s what I’d had. I hadn’t been aware that it was especially aggressive either. I knew my stats and knew it was a grade 3. I started researching then and found this site. It was maybe a year old at the time. 

My tx was what was protocol for the day. Tx wasn’t particularly discussed as options. I think you were expected to just follow dr’s orders. I knew I could have had a mastectomy but that wasn’t ever brought up by the dr. It was my choice to go along .Chemo I wasn’t given options. 

I don’t think of myself as old.....I turned 65 this year. I was dx in January of 2001. 
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2020 at 8:10am
Thank you for your reply.  As others have mentioned, we hear about recurrence so we need the balance of hearing about long term survivors.

I am older than you (just turned 68), but was diagnosed later in life, at 66.  I consider myself a positive person, but find myself fretting over cancer more than I’d like.  My oncologist said it takes most people about three years after end of treatment to stop thinking about it and fully get on with their lives.

Reading your story IS helpful!  Thanks again, Cindy
66 at diagnosis. 3/2019, AC/T, lumpectomy, 30 radiation. Complete 12/19. IDC, grade 2-3, 4 cores .2-1.5cm, yellow lobulated fibroadipose, stage pT1b, NO
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2020 at 12:39pm
Oh, I just love these stories, please keep them coming!

I am interested in your remark, CMDW, about most people taking 3 years to stop thinking about their cancer.  Well, I have just had my 3rd anniversary and it is indeed true that I am thinking about it less and less.

On the other hand, I do not let down my guard:  taking extra care with nutrition and exercise and these days, of course, aware of measures to prevent catching the covid!  I think the most worrying thing right from the beginning is wondering about what sort of future I would have.

These days, I live more in the present, do not think too much about the future and the "what ifs".  I feel really well, energetic and ALIVE and looking forward to the first of my reconstructive operations in October.

For all those still undergoing treatment, I hope that you will be able to put all of the unpleasant things behind you and that everything will come good in the end!

my very best wishes to allSmile
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2020 at 8:21pm
I was a single parent and had just buried my my mother [age 64] who passed from ovarian when I was dx. Not that I want to tell you a sob story! Just couldn't deal with the stress of worry. I read all I could. After I put the kids to bed I read the entire Susan Love Breast Book. If it was coming to get me, I wanted to know what it was. [ I hoped knowledge was key]I also had to get to a place of not worrying until I knew specifically what there was to worry about. Oh, yes....easier said than done. Lots of yoga breathing. I spaced out all those aftercare dr appts so I was being checked about every 3-4 months. I think about year 3-5 they tapered down then by year 10 I was cut loose but I am very vigilant about getting my mammograms. I was on this site quite a bit from maybe 2007 to 2012....maybe a bit longer. When I was dx it didn't have the fear factor and they weren't giving as much chemo....not as aggressive of tx. I kind of felt fortunate, only hind site because I didn't know as much about what I should worry about. I also didn't want to spend a lot of time...[with worry and what if's] on giving cancer power over me. The thought of cancer still enters my mind....just not often. Going thru tx is not something one can forget. I think it does give you a different mindset. That's where these forums are so great, being able to communicate with those that truly understand. It's truly cathartic and easier to let go knowing you aren't alone. 

I did have genetic testing, including the King study [which I found out about on this site. All tests came out negative. 
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 8:00am
Thank you, Plume and Kirby, for your responses.  A neighbor suggested that I read an old book, The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, to reinforce how our thinking can affect our health.  This book is a bit redundant and may be too religious for some, but I am finding it helpful-especially when I have a pain in my breast (over 7 months after completion of treatment) or soreness in my ribs.  Instead of going to the worst scenario, I tell myself that my body is strong and healthy and able to ward off disease.  Of course, I am still vigilant about follow ups with all of my doctors and will not neglect to continue regular screenings.  Thank you again!  Cindy
Lorene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2021 at 1:03pm
I credit my longevity to my Lord, Jesus Christ!  I'm a 20-year survivor this month.  I won't go into details, as I was probably like each of you in the process, celebrating each milestone, and taking a day at a time.  I've focused on my diet and nutrition throughout, as I was already nutrition-oriented.  It made sense to me that what we put in our body is feeding it life and building it up, or tearing it down.  I looked to the Lord for guidance and continue to do so, in every area of my life.  And He has blessed me.

God Bless Each of You,
Lorene
dx10/01@age59,IDC TNBC, St.IIB,Gr3,2.5cm,3+nodes, epirubicin,5FU,cytoxan,33Rads,No recurrence, 2018
TNBC Fighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2021 at 11:16am
I can't help but to notice most of the long term survivors here are all initially diagnosed with Stage 1/2, which is deemed early and a great win in itself. Just curious who is the longest survivor at initial diagnosis of Stage 4 MTNBC? It seems like a very difficult road and I could use some inspiration. Any long term stage 4 survivors out there?
Please respond.
Thanks
lindamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2022 at 11:21am
I was diagnosed in 1999 at age 49 with triple negative BC. (previous hysterectomy from cervical cancer) I had two tumors, a 3cm and a 1cm. At that time either of those tumors would have been a stage 2, but someone told me that they added them together and that would have made it stage 3. The tumors were located in my left breast, very close to the center of my chest. I was working midnight shift at the time and the fatigue was brutal. I was too fatigued to eat much so I lost weight and I was a runner so I pushed myself to run every day when I could. I had adriamycin/cytoxin.
I am now 72 and I am worn out, but no cancer. I've had lots of scares. 23 years

If I had to give an opinion about survival it would be to take care of yourself, don't give into self pity and over indulgence. Fight like hell.
Miri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2022 at 3:14pm
I found out in Feb 2022 that my  TNBC had  mets  and am wondering the same- are there any stage 4 survivors on this forum ? I could also use a little motivation too Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic