FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After Surgery Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
specksmama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specksmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After Surgery Questions
    Posted: Jun 05 2010 at 9:09pm
Hello everyone - I had my lumpectomy, axillary dissection and ovary and tube removal on 5/26 - I had a drain in for the lymph node thing, that came out 8 days later - now I have to do the wall climbing and other exercises - who knew that the muscles would atrophy so quickly - that wall climbing thing HURTS.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I have never had a surgery before - is it normal for the area around the inscision to feel "hard"

2. I was told that there were no viable cancer cells in my tumor (I did chemo first then surgery) - and the surgeon got clear margins - this is good right?

3. Only one lymph node out of 11 showed any sign of cancer - again, this is good right?

4. When does the fear of recurrence start to fade? I feel like I am petrified all the time.

I have a lot of other questions too but don't want to bother you with all of them.

I saw my surgeon on the day of the drain removal and he seemed very pleased with the outcome, I just wanted to run it by all of you and see what you thought - I know that you will be honest with me.

Thank you all for being out there in cyber land to help people like me who feel like they are losing their minds!

Mary
Diagnosed 12/09 IDC triple neg
2cm tumor
1 of 11 nodes positive
Chemo until 4/20/10
Surgery 5/26/10 No viable cancer left in breast
1 mm of cancer in one lymph node.
Radiation 6/28 to 8/9
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2010 at 1:46am
Hi Mary,

Sorry that you have reason to be here but trust me when I say you will be well cared for in this forum. Some answers:

>> I have never had a surgery before - is it normal for the area around the inscision to feel "hard"

Yes.

>> I was told that there were no viable cancer cells in my tumor (I did chemo first then surgery) -
>> and the surgeon got clear margins - this is good right?

Yes.

>> Only one lymph node out of 11 showed any sign of cancer - again, this is good right?

1 out of 11 is very good. Of course 0 out of 11 would have been better but then 2 out of 11 would be worse. On the whole 1/11 is very good.

>> When does the fear of recurrence start to fade? I feel like I am petrified all the time.

For TNBC, the first 3 years are the highest risk.

>> I have a lot of other questions too but don't want to bother you with all of them.

No worries, keep those questions coming,

Good night.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic