FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abraxane v Taxol?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 11:34am
When I read this - and other things like this - that say "this is better, but your insurance won't cover it so they use the one that DOESNT WORK AS WELL"  It PISSES ME OFF!  Health care reform - NOW!  UGH, it's disgusting to think we're getting a lowered standard of care to make fat cat insurance exec's more millions in bonus money.  Those pigs have blood on their hands, every dollar they get  in bonuses was probably earned by the suffering and death of good people, great people!  that have been sick like us.   I hope there's a special place in hell for them.  Where they're fed chemo for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  

--end of rant--

I'm a positive person 99% of the time, I usually try not to think about such things.  But reading it here just flew up my nose.  Have a great holiday weekend, y'all! 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 2:31pm
Kelly,
I hope this does not frustrate you further but I don't think the healthcare reform will solve this problem.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Terje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by unklez unklez wrote:

Kelly,
I hope this does not frustrate you further but I don't think the healthcare reform will solve this problem.

It can and will if we do it right, but we won't because nobody seems to care. Everyone was jumping up and down screaming and yelling everywhere about recommended mammogram policies when our healthcare system is completely screwed up and the health care is getting screwed up even more by the reform proposals that they're coming up with.

What's the use of a mammogram if the health care system is so screwed up?

We need universal, free, paid for by taxes healthcare for everyone no questions asked, but with limits on what they'll do. Like only drugs that are proven to work and cost effective, or government approved clinical trials are paid for. If you don't like it and want more then you pay for your own insurance.

Insurance should be required to cover whatever illness you get if you're insured when you get it regardless of whether you continue to pay for coverage or not until you're considered cured for that illness, and they shouldn't be allowed to raise your rates after you become ill.

If you become ill and have coverage and decide to switch insurance companies, the original one is still on the hook for your pre-existing illness while the new one is only on the hook for new illnesses.

Every health insurance plan should be tied to a life insurance policy so that they'll have to pay out whether they keep you alive or not. That way I can choose a life insurance policy that will make it in their best interest to keep me alive so they don't have to pay out.
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 3:59pm
Terje: I've come to the conclusion that all of us must care. If we don't get even the basics of this passed into law, even without all of your ideas, we will lose not only the chance of this generation but of many to come. We have to shove a wedge into that door by getting something passed.

If you had asked me my opinion last year, when I was more hopeful for a full on good bill I would never have believed it would come to this. But it has. And though we won't see your ideas come to fruition this year I personally would like them to start with the anti trust breaker with Big Pharma.

Lastly, for my rant, I don't blame many people who don't get why we need reform so desperately. I think most would agree with me that until you are forced to rely on it, until it lets you down, until you work day to day with the massive amounts of paperwork and uncertainties, you really believe that your insurance or your lack thereof is ok, it's working so why mess with it. But when you are forced into the doldrums of the system you quickly understand what it means to have your life jeopardized.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 4:00pm
I vote Terje for president!!!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2010 at 4:28pm
Mainy,

I agree 100%  Before bc, I thought my insurance was great.  Now I'm living with lifetime caps and all the hassles, deductibles and preexisting conditions.

Scott,

Ditto!

Edited by 123Donna - Feb 12 2010 at 4:28pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 10:54am
My youngest child is 1/2 way thru his Jr. year in high school.  In a year and a 1/2 he'll be in college and my husband and I will be "free" - to move where we want, do what we want.  We could start our own little business where ever we want..............BUT NO!  If we don't have health insurance thru a large company's group, I - at 46 years old - am UNINSURABLE!  One of us has to be strapped to a big corporate job until I'm 65 - for 19 more years - because I had breast cancer.  It's so wrong that it's evil - every one of us here is uninsurable.  Doesn't that piss everybody off? 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 11:47am
Kellyless,

Yes, I'm very mad!  We've all out the hard way how health insurance is only for healthy people! 

I'm self employed and get my insurance through my dh policy.   I thought before bc, no problem.  Now I worry about lifetime caps, the what "ifs" if he loses his job or is unable to work.  Like you he can't consider changing jobs (unless there's insurance) or become self-employed because of me.  The cost of COBRA is out of the question and now I have a preexisting condition making me uninsurable.  The status quo is fine as long as you don't get sick with a major illness.

PS:  Sorry to be venting on this thread, but I think insurance is one of the reasons it is more difficult to get certain drugs that may be better for us.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Terje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Kellyless Kellyless wrote:

I - at 46 years old - am UNINSURABLE!  One of us has to be strapped to a big corporate job until I'm 65 - for 19 more years

I believe this is by design. The government (IE: the ultra rich) want everyone to be stuck working so that you have more money to give them and can provide them with more resources. They convince everyone to go into dept with credit cards and home mortgages for the same reason. To enslave us and force us to work even if we don't really need to.

Imagine this, right now there is 10% unemployment. What if we said that everyone with a job has to work 10% less so that all the companies would have to hire 10% more people so that everyone could have a job and we could all have 3 day weekends. One might argue that then everyone would have 10% less money to buy stuff, but if everyone had 10% less money, then supply and demand would cause everything to cost 10% less.

A house doesn't cost what it costs to build a house, it costs what someone is willing to pay for it, and what someone is willing to pay is what they can afford to pay. If they can afford to pay 10% less, it will cost 10% less, but that would mean 10% less money for the banks and 10% less money to pay off.

I believe that the maximum number of hours allowed in a work week should be directly tied to the current unemployment rate, but it will never happen because there are wealthy and powerful people who have a vested interest in enslaving us. Health insurance is just another way to do so.
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Terje Terje wrote:

Originally posted by Kellyless Kellyless wrote:

I - at 46 years old - am UNINSURABLE!  One of us has to be strapped to a big corporate job until I'm 65 - for 19 more years

I believe this is by design. The government (IE: the ultra rich) want everyone to be stuck working so that you have more money to give them and can provide them with more resources. They convince everyone to go into dept with credit cards and home mortgages for the same reason. To enslave us and force us to work even if we don't really need to.

Imagine this, right now there is 10% unemployment. What if we said that everyone with a job has to work 10% less so that all the companies would have to hire 10% more people so that everyone could have a job and we could all have 3 day weekends. One might argue that then everyone would have 10% less money to buy stuff, but if everyone had 10% less money, then supply and demand would cause everything to cost 10% less.

A house doesn't cost what it costs to build a house, it costs what someone is willing to pay for it, and what someone is willing to pay is what they can afford to pay. If they can afford to pay 10% less, it will cost 10% less, but that would mean 10% less money for the banks and 10% less money to pay off.

I believe that the maximum number of hours allowed in a work week should be directly tied to the current unemployment rate, but it will never happen because there are wealthy and powerful people who have a vested interest in enslaving us. Health insurance is just another way to do so.

One of the problems with our current situation is that people CAN'T afford the mortgages they are taking on..  I've been watching a lot of home buying shows on HGTV TV lately (what else do I have to do, right?)... If any of you watch them, have you seen the pressure tactics by some of these real estate agents when a potential home-buyer says that they don't want to take on a home mortgage for the amount they've been approve because they'd like to have a "life" other than a living and working for a mortgage?  That's one of the reasons there are currently so many home foreclosures.  People are taking on too much debt.  Most of them don't even have a down payment, so they have no real "vested" interest in the home.  I live bare-bones (thank GOD), because being on short-term disability that is going to run out before my treatment is done, my salary has been cut by 1/3.  I'm hanging on to every penny I possibly can right now..

And, speaking of health care, there was a story on our local television station the other night about the fact that doctors are having to jump thru hoops to get tests they deem important "pre-approved".  For instance, my oncologist wanted me to have a PET scan.  My insurance company REFUSED to approve it.  Instead, I had to go thru a bone and CAT scan first, which probably cost as much as the PET scan would have.  It just burns me!

I totally agree with all of the big shots and their bonuses..  They could care less whether or not we everyday working people have enough money to buy groceries that have sky-rocketed, as long as they can line their pockets with the money we make for them!

I could go on all afternoon, but I'll stop here...

Sorry for the rant!

Renee

dx 11/09 1.6 cm IDS (nodes clear), lumpectomy and mammosite radiation. ACx4 + 12 weekly treatments of Taxol, started on 1/5/10.
Completed Taxtol 5/19/10. CT scans lungs,liver clear 6/7/10.
helen.kilber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helen.kilber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 12:44pm
Well, I agree with all of you about the need for healthcare reform, but in the interests of accuracy I have to say that it is not PROVEN that abraxane is more effective than taxol for early stage BC.  That's why I'm asking everyone for info.  It's at that stage where there is some early evidence that it might be more effective but until the critical trial at Dana Farber is done we won't know for sure.  Only oncologists who have some early insight into those trial results (or those from another Abraxane trial I don't know about) are going to be putting their patients on Abraxane.  That's why I want to find someone - ideally someone getting treated at Dana Farber - who's getting Abraxane.  Does that make sense?  It's like zometa.  The evidence isn't officially in yet, but my onc is involved in the trial and as far as he's concerned the evidence is strong enough for him and he wants me on it.  So, I don't feel like it's unreasonable for insurance companies to be leery of paying right now.  But I will still argue like hell for it if I find someone being treated at Dana Farber who is getting it!  

Hope that makes sense.

Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by helen.kilber helen.kilber wrote:

Hi all,
I'm a TNBC stage 1, grade 3, no lymph nodes, no metastases diagnosed in Jan 2010.  I'm doing neoadjuvant chemo ahead of a bilateral mastectomy and need some advice.  I'm on AC-T (two treatments in) and am wondering if I would be better off with Abraxane than Taxol for the 'T' part.

I've read that Abraxane has a better response rate than Taxol - see below link to a speech Clifford Hudis from Memorial Sloan Kettering gave in Feb 2008 at a breast cancer forum (comment is at bottom of page 7).  My oncologist is open to it but he's very keen to see clinical trial evidence and I haven't found any (except of course for metastatic cancer which I don't have).  

Is there anyone who has had Abraxane for either neoadjuvant or adjuvant treatment of breast cancer without metastates?  Where were you treated?  Why did your oncologist make that choice?

Thank you all so much for your advice!  This board is great.

Helen

http://www.lbbc.org/data/transcript-file/LBBCtriplenegativehudis08.pdf  

Helen, check out this post... Tabitha had Abraxane treatment...

Thanks!

Renee
dx 11/09 1.6 cm IDS (nodes clear), lumpectomy and mammosite radiation. ACx4 + 12 weekly treatments of Taxol, started on 1/5/10.
helen.kilber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helen.kilber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 2:01pm
Thanks Renee!
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 2:14pm
You're welcome, Helen... If you do a "search" here on the forum, there are others who have taken Abraxane..

Good luck!

Renee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic