FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

about me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
holly elgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holly elgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: about me
    Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:45am
I dont know all of the lingo but here goes.I am a 38 year old personal trainer, never been sick. I was diagnosed in September after finding a lump myself and in the end haveing a lumpectomy and biopsy. I found out I was III negetive and made the decision to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction even though I only had cancer in one breast.I had the surgery on October 5th and finally some good news, all my nodes were clean. I start chemo on Nov.4th. I am in a clinicle study called TITAN. I feel great and have been doing my elipticle but I am so ready to do some weight traing again. Would any more info be helpfull?
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:18am
Holly,

Congrats on having clear nodes!

I can not attest to weight training, but I would venture to think that if your surgery was Oct. 5, that it is too soon?   Please consult with your doctor before beginning such a workout.

Another factor to consider is developing lymphedema..Here is a link to help you understand lymphedema.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lymphedema/DS00609

Edited by Sunris - Oct 15 2009 at 11:24am
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:14pm
Dear Holly,

Welcome to TNBC Foundation. You will find caring and compassionate women and caregivers here.

I'd like know a little bit about this TITAN clinical trial. Is it the one which uses Ixempra instead of Taxol?

Be gentle with your body on the elliptical and slowly build up resistance etc. Do not go more than 60-70% of your pre-surgery resistance, time, inclination, calorie burn, etc. without checking with your surgeon.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:30pm
Holly,

Welcome to this site.  Great news about the clear nodes.  I also had a bilateral mastectomy in June.  My ps told me not to exercize for 6 - 8 weeks after surgery.  The only thing I could do with my arms was the stretching, windmill exercizes they gave me.  For the first month I was told not to lift anything heavy.  It sounds like you're in much better shape than I am, but I'd  ask your doctor just to make sure you're not doing anything too soon that could hurt your recovery time.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Bonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:19pm
Holly:  Welcome!  I am fairly new to the site myself but have gained much knowledge just reading and listening to the wonderful people on here.  My 22 year old daughter was dx 8/20/09 and had a uni-lateral mastectomy on 8/27, 4 of 18 nodes positive.  Started chemo on 9/17 and just finished her 2nd treatment.  She is participating in the TITAN trial as well.   Are you in the Ixempra arm or the Taxol arm?  Re the working out, I was surprised to hear that a person can get back to weight training and exercising much sooner than most people expect.  With my daughter, it was about 2 weeks after surgery.  Just take it easy and listen to your body.
Bonnie
holly elgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holly elgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 6:25pm
Thanks for the input. I have not found out what "arm" I am in yet. I will let you know. Thanks!!
Holly
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 6:38am
Holly,

Here is another link regarding lymphedema

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/lymphedema/avoid.jsp
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 6:56am
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic