FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Special Thanks to Kellyless!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Special Thanks to Kellyless!
    Posted: Jul 03 2019 at 12:31pm
I wanted to give a shoot out to one of the senior members on this site, Kellyless.  She is one of the active members on this board that help us newbies.   Being newly diagnosed, with a provider team that didn't seem to care, I was stressed beyond belief.  I have Stage III Metastatic Triple Negative (possibly Stage IV) Breast Cancer.

My oncologist and his team let me go over 90 days after diagnosis without getting me in the chair for my first chemo.  They were again trying to push me past July 4th.  As you know from Donna123's post on this board, your chances of survival decrease considerably if you go past the 60 day mark.  

I was having extreme difficulty with the financial office.  They were holding my Chemo hostage until I made more and more payments, knowing my Commercial Insurance was going to pay over $200,000 at a 100% after the first round of A/C, not to mention the surgery and radiation ahead of me.  

Kellyless drove all the way from Dallas to meet me in Arlington.  She got on every conference call with the business office on my behalf.  She stepped in and spoke with a very placating pharmacist, to get me the best possible combo of drugs, and made sure my voice and concerns were heard.  Until she stepped in, they never took me seriously.

When we are new to this journey, we are like cattle being herded into a pen.  We trust the doctors and nurses to have our best interest in mind.  They don't always have our best interests in mind.  This is a business at the end of the day, and the majority of business goals are to make the most ROI (money) as possible.

So, Kellyless, thank you so much for all your guidance and direction through this very uncertain time in a newbie's life.  You are the best!

Monarch
strongtogether View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 9:50am

Hear, hear!
James123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 11:45am
Keyless and Donna are wonderful
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 2:24pm
That is terrific news that you were able to get the necessary treatment. Your story is, unfortunately, not the first where a woman is shunted from office to office without any real progress.

That Kellyless helped you does not in fact surprise me, she has been a stalwart voice supporting members for many years. She has gone above and beyond over and over again for members and she's also a pretty smart cookie to boot!

Importantly, everyone on the Forum has value to other members, each story, each success, each explanation each challenge met leads to a healthier experience for others. And yes, a big shout out to Donna who continues to bring such important information here to share.

This is a wonderful family of warriors!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2019 at 11:15am
As shucks y'all, you're too sweet. I stay because I'm lucky. I guess most people wouldn't think that about someone that went thru this nightmare twice, but it's true. I made friends here and locally the first time going through this that helped me so much! 2 didn't make it. Ones prognosis was better than mine but she's gone. Because I chose to keep hanging out here, 7 years later I was able to seek advice from Donna and Mainy, and ultimately the help of Steve which I think saved my life.
I have had amazing health insurance both times, allowing me to work with the best doctors and hospitals - again, life saving. Most people these days have dreadful, restrictive insurance forcing them to receive substandard care. If I can help, I'm so there. 
My husband.....the best dang cancer companion in the world. From the moment I'm diagnosed til they say I'm done he's at EVERY appointment. 20 chemos, overnight road trips to MD Anderson - he's a busy man with a stressful job, but I always come first. This time when I got so sick he pleaded with me to quit my stressful job. Best decision! Instead of going back to work we bought our dream house.... A neglected, ramshackle pile built in 1895, I've been working on it two years and loved it tremendously. I was able to just stop and get spinal surgery last February that I desperately needed. And I've been able to take the time to be a cancer companion for folks along the way, because I can take the time. I'm lucky, I feel I have to pay that forward. 
We're moving in two weeks! She's not done, but she's livable so it's time. I'm so exhausted right now.... @Monarch can attest that I'm spinning like a chicken with its head cut off. But I'm grateful for this place and all of you, especially those that have allowed me to be a part of their journey. You strong, fearsome warriors still on the front lines battling this beast. Without good insurance or my husband, y'all are the heroes Heart
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic