FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

900 calorie study questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 900 calorie study questions
    Posted: Sep 25 2009 at 7:06am

My question would be: given that they financed a study with only 10 women to monitor how dropping down to 900 calories a day would impact the occurence of cancer, and that that monitoring included gauging proteins in their breasts and abdomens....

Why wouldn't it be appropriate for OUR oncs to include these tests in our followup bloodwork & scan appointments? I see so many studies out there and frankly it doesn't seem overburdensome for some of the proteins or DNA they are testing to be added to our tests. Sure it wouldn't be as study specific in the research but think of the larger perspective it would give the whole community.

Just sayin
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2009 at 7:48am
Mainy,

It is the same old story....until we change the mindset of the medical professionals paid to care for us or to whom we entrust our care or to the governing body regulating standard of care............we will not improve the efficacy of treatment or improve our survival because everyone accepted lumping in all breast cancers as 'breast cancer'....the mentality still exists...they give the same baseline testing and chemotherapy du jour for every type of breast cancer.  Tailored treatment to the characteristics of the tumor.....how many lives would be saved and side effects avoided?

Great article.

Love,
Connie
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2009 at 7:54am
I think I'm going to try and experiment and ask my onc at Monday's meeting if he can ask for these tests.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic