FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80 yr old Mom just diag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Janicer590 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janicer590 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80 yr old Mom just diag
    Posted: Sep 21 2015 at 1:06pm
A little history - my 49 yr old sister was diag with TNBC May 2014, BRACA1 positive - 4 AC + 12 Taxol, double masectomy in Dec 2014, Radiation, then hystorectomy 2/15, CANCER FREE and doing well.

My other 2 sisters, my mom and myself were tested and we were negative for the BRACA1 gene.  However 4 weeks ago my mom was diag with TNBC.  She had lumpectomy just 2  weeks ago - 1.5cm with good margins, no lymph nodes.  Now she has appt with ONC today to go over the path report and discuss her treatment options.  

My mom is in excellent health - no other medical problems at all.  We now she will need radiation, but we also feel sure they will recommend chemo (4 TC treatments 3 weeks apart).  My sisters and I know from all the research we did when my sister was diag that chemo is the only way to fight this beast, but my mom is from the old school plus she is having a hard time undertanding why her TNBC is so different than some of her friends who had breast cancer and all they have to do is "take a pill".  My sisters and I by no means will force her to take Chemo, but we are praying that God will direct her with the help from the ONC in explaining her options.

The thing is research normally does not take into account people ofer 70 years of age since by that time normally one has so many other health problems cancer is at the bottom of the list.  This is not the case for my mom.  

My question is have any of you know of similar 80+ women going thru this.

Thanks
and God Bless you all

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2015 at 1:55pm
I'm so sorry about your mom. I know this is even more devastating because of what y'all have gone thru with your sister.
Here's an interesting article about TNBC in older patients http://m.annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/suppl_6/vi52.full
More studies are definitely needed, but it's generally thought that older patients actually have a better prognosis. With TNBC the younger patients do seem to have a poorer prognosis. Organ toxicity seems to be a primary concern with chemo and older patients. They'll do the tests to see what her renal, liver and heart function is. If that all turns out well, she may be a good candidate to get some chemo despite her age. Doing ongoing tests to make sure her organ function stays acceptable throughout sounds like a good idea, which is bothersome but easy enough to do.
Tell her to think of TNBC as an entirely different thing to "breast cancer", because it _IS_ different than the usual BC. Ask her to at least have an open mind when meeting with the oncologists. Get a second opinion - hearing it from two different expert doctors may help her believe and understand the necessity for further treatment, and her ability to tolerate it.
Best wishes to you and your family. Let us know how it goes, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Kelly
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janicer590 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2015 at 2:19pm
Kelly thank you so much for responding to my post.  I have copied it and sent it to my two sisters who are with her right now for her ONC visit.  Will let you know the outcome and CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 5 YEAR NED!!!!  YOU ROCK
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2015 at 7:50am
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  Kelly gave you an excellent research article.  I remember another lady who was 80 and went through treatment and did very well.

Your family may want to consider further genetic testing with more than one family member getting TNBC. There is a new test that looks at 19 genes associated with breast and ovarian cancer risk and it's very affordable, $249.  One of the developers of this test is the person who identified the BRCA1 gene.  They are finding there are more than just the BRCA gene that increases breast and ovarian cancer risks.  Here's a link:

http://getcolor.com
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janicer590 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2015 at 9:15am
Update on my mom's onc visit yesterday.  Her lumpectomy path report reflected that the cancer was much smaller than they had first thought - is was almost 1.5cm.  All clear margins, no lymph node involvement and her ER+ receptor showed 9% - so they are telling her technically she is not considered to be Triple Negative.  Stated that no chemo is required only radiation and pill afterwards (cant remember the two they mentioned but one was Amimidex).  Again she is Braca1 negative.

I have been trying to find information on the ER+ ranges and when they are considered to be not triple negative, cause my sister who they said was TN had ER+4%.  However she did have two tumors in her one breast that were 1.5 and 1.8cm and she was Braca1 positive (and so are her two daughters).

The onc did say she would run my moms case by two other breast cancer onc and see if they had the same diag for my mom.  So we will wait and see, hopefully they are right.

Thanks for the web site on additional testing - we will definately look into it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic