FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

+ 1 survivor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pennyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: + 1 survivor
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:04pm

I had radical modified mastectomy on April 20th.  Pathology test result shows all  negative (right breast and 8 lymphnodes).  Smile

My whole family and I were in heaven when I got the pathology result, my husband booked us on a Northern Medeteranian Cruise to celebrate.  I didn't feel like going but he said because of what we've been trough this past 8 months we deserve a vacation.

I had my follow up appointment with my onc yesterday. After thanking him, I asked what to expect now that I completed all the treatments, his response was  "let's hope C won't comeback" when I asked what will be the treatment plan if in case it  come back, my onc said that since he gave me all the chemo I needed (ACT), he will not give me  anymore chemo, and it will be stage IV and we'll just wait and see (this can'tbe true!Cry). I was shocked and didn't know what to say.   I left the hospital Cry . All my excitement from the path report faded. 

TODAY, I tought about what the onc said yesterday, I told myself: I am a survivor, victory is in me.  I am healed and I will fire the onc.  

Edited by pennyt - May 06 2009 at 4:11pm
Penny; 47 yo; Walnut, CA
DX 8/08; TX 4AC 1/3 wks; 12 Taxol 1/wk
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:55pm
Dear Penny,

What the hell  is he thinking making a statement like that????? I am so glad to hear that you are firing him and you better believe you are a survivor and he will live to regret what he said to you, and ...I would bet he says that to all the women. How insensitive, what a clod...and as we have said many times...another crappy doctor!

I don't care if he was a good onc while you were receiving treatments, he has no bedside manner...no compassion and is in the wrong line of work. Damn I get so upset when someone posts that a doctor made statements like this.Angry

I am so sorrythat he took all the happiness and joy from a wonderful test result. I know what it feels like when Lori has had tests and you can barely breathe until you hear the results.

Now sweetie, you go on that cruise and enjoy yourself and be happy. You sure as hell have earned itSmile

Much love and many hugs,
Nancy 
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
rena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:44pm
Hi Penny. Well, there's smart and then there's street smart, and it sounds as though your oncologist has neither! I'm sorry he upset you, and you're absolutely right to find another oncologist. Nothing he said changes the fact that your pathology report was good. As Nancy said, be happy and enjoy your life! Love, Rena
Diagnosed 9/86. 1 cm tumor, 22 positive lymph nodes. CMFVP chemo, weekly for one year. 7 weeks radiation. BRCA2-positive. Multiple attempts at reconstruction (three's a charm)
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 4:19am
I agree.  Don't focus on the what if's.  Focus on the right now.

Right now you have a clear path report! 
Right now you have a loving and caring spouse!
Right now you have tickets for a Mediteranean cruise!
Right now your cancer treatments are over and behind you!

I say you rejoice in the right now!
God bless you,
Nancy Jane
41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
dmayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:46am
Dear PennyT,

I have had the wind knocked out of my sails by crappy doctor too.  Mine was when my lump in Dec "is probably a cyst - no need to panic - well do a ultrsound".  Then only 3 months later in March to be told "Good morning, how are you, this is not good news, you have breast cancer!"  Those 3 months allowed the lump to grow to over 4 cm!!

But I am now beginning the road that you have well travelled.  You have weathered the storm and now go set sail on that wonderful cruise.  You are a survivor - and please do fire that crappy doc! 

Live for today - dont worry about tomorrow - there are too many minutes you miss right now when you worry about the unknown.  Enjoy you day and big hugs to you!!

Debs
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 10:12am
Hi PennyT I am so glad that doc is history.  Good for you.
I am with the others, go enjoy your cruise and when you get back you can find someone who is a whole lot smarter than the one you fired.Angry

Man I hate to think there are people out there like your ex-Onc but there are and many of us have found them thru this journey.
Don't let his crappy attitude ruin your life or that fantastic cruise.
What he said is not true.

Edited by trip2 - May 07 2009 at 10:15am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 10:24am
Penny,
You have to wonder how that man stays in business !  Angry

I guess my onc gave me the same information when I asked that question. Her response was "We'll hope that doesn't happen, but we'll keep a close eye on it so I'll be able to give you time to take that trip to New Zealand you've always wanted to take" --- and patted my knee.  I can read between the lines, but she gets points for compassion !

In this situation, kindness is as important as competance, don't you think?  I'm glad you'll be finding a more sensitive doctor.

Jessie

Edited by Jessie - May 07 2009 at 10:26am
IDC,Stage I,Grade 3,dx 4/06
dbl mast 5/06,
systemic MRSA post surgery
septic shock, heart attack
triple bypass 1/07
no chemo due to infections and heart issues
so far NED!
pennyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 6:42am
Dear Friends,

Yes, I will focus on the right now. 
God is merciful and a healer.  He is BIGGER  than fear.

This c is behind me now and I'm ready to lead a productive life.

Thank you all for your input!

Penny; 47 yo; Walnut, CA
DX 8/08; TX 4AC 1/3 wks; 12 Taxol 1/wk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic