FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 missed chemo ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
annafriday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annafriday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 missed chemo ?
    Posted: Oct 19 2013 at 11:02pm
Hi everyone.....  I am due for my last Taxol but side effects have been so horrible that I do not want to do my last one. I have been healthy my whole life with no pain issues and now after 6 months of chemo it has taken a huge toll on my once healthy body. My neuropathy has made it difficult to do my job and I have chronic bone pain. I also have chemo induced gout and headaches every day. My constipation is so bad that I'm having significant bleeding with bowel movements that are few and far between.  My oncologist does not want me to do a colonoscopy. In fact he seems annoyed when ever I tell him about any of my side effects. Im having a full meltdown moment and needing encouragement!!!  I just want to quit. I hate feeling sick all the time.  Does someone have information on if 1 missed dose of Taxol will decrease my survival. I received my full course of AC.
DX:3/20/13 right breast multifocal stage 3a TNBC. Bilateral Mastectomy 4-18-13 largest tumor 6.2cm. 1 microscopic sentinal node positive. KI-67 77%. ACx4..doing Taxol now x12 weekly.
mudpuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 4:30am
I am sorry to hear all that you are going through. It is a shame your oncologist doesn't seem to really help you with your concerns. I pray it gets better for you. I know everyone's experience is different. I got lucky by not having too many side effects. Have you talked to your chemo nurse? Maybe she/he could relay your concerns a different way so you could be heard.

I had neoadjuvant chemo and went through 4 cycles of AC, then 12 of taxotere. I was able complete all of those chemo drugs. So unfortunately I'm not aware of if you stop the taxol short of one cycle the survival rate but I did stop one of mine and that was 3 years ago this month and I'm still cancer free.

After my bilateral mastectomies the pathology came back with smaller tumor but still live cancer cells that he said were resistant to the chemo cocktail that I had had. So my oncologist had me do 4 more cycles (8 infusions) of cisplatin and gemzar. My left ear felt like it was plugged. Chemo can cause tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Cisplatin has higher rate of tinnitus. My oncologist had me stop it so it would not get worse about half way through. I told him I did not have any out of the ordinary ringing in my ears. He just worried it could get worse.

When I got there I mentioned about change since I was running late to appointment & it takes longer to infuse, the nurse did not receive order. She contacted my doctor, he gave order for no more cisplatin.

Have you talked to another oncologist for second opinion? Or you primary care physician? Maybe you PCP can relay this to you oncologist or help answer your question by consulting with another oncologist for you. I pray everything works out for you.
DX 9/21/2009, age 37, Tumor 3 cm (4.3 with tentacles), Grade 3, DD Neoadj chemo,4X AC, 12X Taxotere,Stage 2A, BRCA 1/2 neg, Bilat mast/reconst 5/18/10, 0/10 nodes, Gemzar & Cisplatin 4 cycles
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 8:35am
Dear Anna,

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. 

If you have the ability to travel and good insurance I would suggest that you get a second opinion from a Breast Medical Oncologist at a NCCN or NCI facility. As you can see there are no such facilities in Las Vegas or Nevada for that matter.

I am going to send you my contact information and hopefully we can talk. I am a volunteer patient advocate and am not a medical professional and will not give you medical advice but I can try to help you get an appointment at a NCCN or NCI facility in another state.

There are no studies that I know off evaluating whether missing the last Taxol treatment impacted survival. I cannot evaluate whether it is advisable/dangerous for you to forego that treatment. I would suggest you see a knowledgeable Breast Medical Oncologist who is TNBC savvy and get that person's opinion and again I would suggest you ask someone other than your current oncologist. 

warmly,

Steve 
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
CAfree12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAfree12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 5:22pm
I had a Pinkie sister that was going through chemo with me and she had great difficulty with Taxol and our mutual oncologist had her stop before she got to all twelve doses.  It's one of those things where you don't have evidence that 11 is enough doses vs 12 - but if you are having so much difficulty, the hazards of the drug may exceed the benefit.  Talk to your oncologist - it's your body.
Diagnosed Oct 2011 @ age 53, Stage 1c, grade 3, 1.5Cm, neg nodes;double mastectomy with TE, dose dense AC+Taxol; BRCA neg; treatments finished April 2012
SANDRATRIPLENEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANDRATRIPLENEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 9:52am
Hi, I am sorry you are having such a hard time.  I know exactly how to feel.  All I can say is what I experienced.  I had neoadjuvant treatment of 4 a/c every other week and 12 taxol weekly.  I have been under treatment since Jan of this year and had a complete masectomy following chemo and on to radiation where I am 8 treatments away from completion.
My very best news was after they removed my 6.5 cm tumor, all the cancer cells were dead from the chemo.  I had complete response!

Please try to complete your course.  I have no idea if one treatment would make a difference but can't help but think they would not put it in the protocal if 11 treatments were fine.
Can you take a week off work?  I only get paid for my hours so I know taking off may be a challenge.
I was lucky to work out of my house, so I could lay down every few minutes if necessary.
This I am certain of.  You are going to feel better every week following the completion.  You will regain your strength.  You will get out of bed and not feel like you are going to fall over. God bless you and pray for strength.  Has your doctor put you on any anti-depressants.  I take Effexer daily and Xanex as needed.  It has saved me so much anxiety.  Do what you have to do to beat this #$%^.
DX Dec '12, IDC, Grade 3, Stage 3N, 6.5 cm, Left breast, neoadjuvant A/c and Taxol, complete mast in Aug 2013. Complete response to chemo! Radiation, 28 treatments. MASSEY CANCER CENTER, VA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic