FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 DOWN,,,6 to Go (Chemo)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IndyGirl61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 DOWN,,,6 to Go (Chemo)
    Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 8:01am
HI everyone! I am so happy to say that my 1st round of chemo went very well! I did not have any side effects until yesterday. That shot of Neulasta kicked me rear-end...just a bit achy but more fatigue I think. It feels like a world of weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The not knowing was the hardest part. You all told me it would come together and it did. I just want to thank all of you for getting me through this part of my journey. Y'all are amazing!!! I know there will be difficult days ahead but my spirit is alive & kicking. I am thankful for all things big and small and that I have this place to come to.
MarianneWink Love to AllHeart
AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Chemo 6/23 AC/TAX for 4 mos, 2Xmonth & 6wk Rads after.
kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 10:09am
I had my first round of TC yesterday, and I would just like to "what she said" everything Marianne just said! The not knowing is absolutely the hardest part! And double ditto to how much help each and every person on this forum has been in easing the fears! Thank you thank you thank you.

Marianne, I'm so happy for both of us that we got through the door. Here's hoping the next treatments will so as well.

Hugs,

Kaycee
DX age 54, lumpectomy, IDC,10mm, 0/10 nodes, Stage 1 Grade 2, ER-/PR-/HER2neu-, Ki-67 74%, BRCA negative, TCx4, 6 weeks rads
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 11:00am
IndyGirl, if you will take a regular claritin (not claritin D), the day before..the day of..and 2 days after, the Neulasta shot wont cause you near the pain. Also make sure and warm the syringe in your hands a full 5 minutes before they give the shot to you.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 11:07am
Marianne and Kaycee,

Glad it went smoothly.  I too thought the anticipation of everything was way worse than the actual experience, whether it was surgery or chemo. 

I actually thought the neulasta shot was the worst part.  I know we need it to keep the wbc up, but those bone pains were terrible.  I even asked my onc if I could skip it the last tx and she said why risk putting yourself in the hospital because of low wbc.   Claritin and a good heating pad helps.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 12:00pm
My onc doesn't give neulasta unless the counts drop badly. I questioned that, but they seem comfortable that it isn't necessary for me. I was surprised to learn that I also wouldn't receive IV Benedryl with the Taxotere. My nurse said they do prescribe it for Taxol, but with Taxotere they just watch the patient closely. I did fine without it, but the first few minutes were a little unnerving.

I'll remember the tips about the Claritin and heating pad if the time comes. Thanks Donna!

Edited by kaycee - Jun 26 2010 at 12:01pm
DX age 54, lumpectomy, IDC,10mm, 0/10 nodes, Stage 1 Grade 2, ER-/PR-/HER2neu-, Ki-67 74%, BRCA negative, TCx4, 6 weeks rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 12:21pm
Kaycee

I guess there is no one standard with treatment.  I'm sure your onc will monitor your wbc.  I had taxotere and cytoxan and was given benadryl during the tx.  I actually enjoyed the benadryl naps during chemo time.

Good luck with your treatment.  It sounds like you're doing well.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

IndyGirl61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 1:42pm
I had the Cytoxin and Adriamyacin Wednesday. They did give me the anti-nausea med injection before. I also took the Emends and Ondansetron for nausea. Had no nausea whatsoever! I am grateful for this!
kaycee: I am so happy to hear that you too came through your first with flying colors. You go sister, we are all sisters & "Pink Ribbon Warriors"! We will be going through this journey together and I am looking forward to getting to know you better.
Thanks to all again for your unwavering support and love. It makes everything so much easierEmbarrassed
Marianne

AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Chemo 6/23 AC/TAX for 4 mos, 2Xmonth & 6wk Rads after.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic