Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xeloda and Avastin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xeloda and Avastin
    Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 5:51am
Hi

Because of recurrence (left armpit and supravacular lymph nodes) even that I was only stage 1, when I was first diagnosed (07/06)I started Xeloda saturday, have no side effects so far. I will start Avastin this friday together with the Xeloda.
Does any of you girls have the same kombination, what was your side effects and how did it go, did it help??
07/06:33 BC ST.1 NO nodes
Chemo:AC-T
11/06:BRCA1+
02/07:Mastec
07/07:Hysterec.+recons.
03/08:Recur.supraclavicular
      /axilla nodes chemo:Xeloda/Ixempr
09/09:Mets to bones & lungs.
EWKSeattle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EWKSeattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 6:58am
Yes, I did that combination for 4 months in '07.  I found it very easy to tolerate.  I had some minor hand/foot syndrome (peeling palms and soles of my feet) from the Xeloda, and minor nosebleeds from the Avastin, but that was really all.  Good luck!!
Dx 05/06 Stage IIIC
Local Recurrence 01/07
Mets in opposite side axilla nodes 12/07
Mets to mediastinal nodes confirmed 11/08
NED March 2009-March 2010
Brain met March 2010.
maxmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 8:49am

Hi Dane,  I was on Xeloda and Avastin for about 9 months.  I experienced hand/foot syndrome, common with Xeloda.  The palms of my hands and soles of my feet became red then somewhat discolored to a brown, like a deep suntan.  The skin was constantly peeling and I liked to "pick" so I was always pulling the skin off, which is not always a good idea. 

My fingernails would split in the center and I would have to cut them and file them down and I don't think they have ever recovered.   Sometimes it was difficult and frustrating to do small things like twist open a cap, pull a tab on a pop can, zip my pants, etc. because my fingers were so sore.

I had a problem with foot odor and found some difficulty in buying thin socks, suitable for wearing with slacks at work, but that were made of mostly cotton.  When you look at the labels, there is a lot of nylon and spandex in socks and this is not an absorbent fiber.

I get migraines and these seemed to increase slightly in frequency, possibly due to the Avastin, but I am not sure.

Overall, not a diffcult treatment...no N&V, no hair loss.  More of a great inconvenience.
Hope this info helps.

maxmom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic