Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xanax, valium and other anxiety meds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelly WIDIL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly  WIDIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xanax, valium and other anxiety meds
    Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 12:19am

I think my MIL would benefit from anti-anxiety medication.  

The day she got the news doctors found a suspicious mass on her ovary and thicking of the lining she was understandable upset but not overly emotional.  The next day she woke up in pain, she said it felt she like she was back to day one post-op from the dble mx.  I think it's  from  the stress she is carrying around. 

Does she need to ask a doctor to write a script for anxiety meds or should the doctor be suggesting them?  My MIL is not the type of person to take a lot meds.  After her second bc surgery to obtain clean margins she was only taking a half of perocet then quickly moved to tylenol. 

I worry about her stress levels.... even if it is at the subconcious level.   

I've touched on the topic with her but I am unsure if I should bring it up again.  She starts chemo on the 5th and has surgery to remove the ovaries  and biopsy the uterus on the 10th.   Then the 72 hour pathology wait.   Big stressors.  Heck, I am not the patient and feel like I could take a Xanax to get through what lies ahead.   

Should she be on some sort of anxiety meds to take the edge off? 
Pink Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 1:09am
A lot of us benefit from Ativan.  We use it before, during and sometimes after our chemo treatments as it really helps in taking the edge off.  Some of us keep it on hand for "bad days" or days when we can't seem to get our heads out of the funk.

From what I read, many oncologists and patients favor it.

I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with more detailed knowledge than me.  Ativan helps me, personally though, as I suffer from an anxiety disorder.
Dx:10/09,IDC Stg 2,Gr 3,TN
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
9/11 Skin mets, mediastinal & hilar nodes
Abraxane/Avastin
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 7:56am
Kelly,

Kim is right on target about the Ativan.  Please ask your mother's oncologist or breast surgeon if they will prescribe it.  When I was dx with my recurrence, my onc prescribed Ativan and it helped tremendously - still does.  These doctors understand the stress and anxiety levels of their patients and are willing to prescribe something to help.

Please keep us posted on her treatment and surgery.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 9:17am
Stress is incredibly hard on the whole body and take it from one who 'was too strong to even think of taking a med'...that attitude is about 90 degrees off the mark. The strong move is to do whatever you can to manage stress, you don't have to take full doseages, you can take 'pediatric' doses or half tablets but I'm now of the mind that it works to take one anti anxiety med daily to help you maintain a healthy level and a 2nd type of anxiety such as Ativan at night to drive the demons who are dancing in your head out the door.
  I like the quote of someone who asked "what would you do if you xxxx?" and the answer was "What wouldn't I do?"
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 9:26am
Hi Kelly

If your mother is also having any trouble sleeping she should raise it with her Dr. - sleeplessness often goes hand in hand with anxiety and I understand some drugs can help with both. I too was never a big fan of taking "extra drugs" but they made a very positive difference for me and others during the difficult times.

Tracy in Toronto
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 7:49pm
I agree..I was given xanax and it really helped, also something to help me sleep.  I know some may even take a anti-depressant, emotions can be so hard on our bodies, this is a stressful disease.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic