Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wondering about Metformin, Mom has TNBC again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Doxielvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doxielvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wondering about Metformin, Mom has TNBC again
    Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 12:52pm
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Unfortunately my mom has been diagnosed with TNBC again. Her first diagnosis was December 2006. She had a 1.5 cm mass. Did a lumpectomy and had chemo. She has been cancer free for five years. Her last mammogram, done this past March, showed a suspicious mass, so a biopsy was ordered, and confirmed that is was a new tumor, in her opposite breast this time. The tumor is 1.5 cm. We are really  hoping it was caught early again, and that it hasn't spread to her lymph nodes or anywhere else. She has not had her pet scan yet, but her MRI was good. She will start chemo next Wed. and after chemo is finished she is having a double mastectomy. I wanted to talk to her oncologist next week about Metformin. I want to do everything I can for my mom. I love her so much and I'm so scared of losing her. She lost her mom to ovarian cancer when she (my grandma) was 45, and her sister (who she was very close to) died of ovarian cancer at the age of 47. If there is something, anything, that we can take as a precaution from getting this, we will do it. Thank you SO much for any insight on this. I appreciate it so much!!!

Take care,
Lacey
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 3:15pm
Lacey,

So sorry to hear your mom is battling this again.  Do you know if she's been tested for the BRCA gene?  

We have a thread talking about Metformin.  There is also a clinical trial.

Has your mom had her Vitamin D level checked?  Most of us are deficient when diagnosed. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Doxielvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doxielvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 7:35pm
Thank you so much for replying Donna. She has not had the BRCA test done yet. But she is going to! She's just had so many appointments lately, she hasn't been able to get that one in yet. I do not believe she has had her vit. D levels checked, but that was also another thing I wanted to check with her Onc. next week. Thank you very much for the links! Heart

Lacey
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 8:23pm
Lacey,

Both the BRCA and Vitamin D are simple blood tests that can be taken with your mother's lab work while at the onc's office.  I don't know how old your mother is, but most insurance companies will cover the BRCA genetic testing if you're younger than 60 years old.  Please keep us posted on how your mother is doing.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 10:51pm
Hello Lacey
I am sorry to hear that your mother is having to deal with TNBC again
I was on a short pre-surgery Metformin trial (not double blind, so was getting the real thing) am now on the five year Phase III Metformin trial (hopefully getting the real thing!) Some of our other members (or their spouses/family members) have  Metformin prescribed off label.
Keep us posted if you can on how your mother is doing.

Tracy in Toronto
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
Doxielvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doxielvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 12:57am
My mom turned 60 in October. I really hope one of her Dr.'s will prescribe it off label. It can't hurt to try! I will keep you all posted on how she is doing. She has her pet scan on Monday...keeping our fingers crossed it was caught early enough that there was no spread anywhere! Hope you are all doing well!

Lacey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic