Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wife is sick since Sunday, what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife is sick since Sunday, what to do?
    Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 9:19am

Hello all,

Becky is sick in bed since Sunday, I made her chicken soup and she is drinking water and juices.  Previous she had been doing a lot with her friend (shopping for patio furniture) and it exhausted her. 

Not sure what to do, she was coughing last night, because she is sick I am thinking her immune system is low.  When do you start to think about getting a doctor involved?

Thanks,  I am probably just being worried for nothing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 9:57am
Hi Dave, last year after I finished chemo I picked up a flu bug that gave me a dry cough and a fever. Just knocked what little energy I had right out of me. It didn't get better after 3 days and then I lost my voice! What I learned is that it's better to step in now as you are doing and give the doctor a call. He'll likely want to see her or if you describe her symptoms well enough he may give you an antibiotic script over the phone. Regardless I'm sure she wants to get up and about so the sooner she gets over this the better.

And hey, the Tulip Festival is coming to Mt. Vernon pretty soon here, she's just gotta get better!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 10:33am
Dave, you are so sweet.    It sounds like she has a cold, or maybe a flu.  If she's still sick or not getting better in another week or so, then maybe call?    Try not to think the worst (though I know from experience that is really hard).
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 11:36am
Hi Dave, the same thing happened to me when I finished treatment and I was sick for over a week.  I waited it out but probably should not have so Mainy is right.  Get her seen now so that if there is any infection brewing it can be dealt with now.  It took me seven days to get over it and then I was ok.  I did however see my family dr. just in case of pneumonia, we don't want that!

Tell Becky to come on line and discuss how she is feeling, maybe we can be more support to her as she is the one with symptoms.  I realize it must be difficult to wonder each time she coughs or has a pain leaves us wondering what is going on now?  But, we have to be strong and put our faith in our higher power that He knows what is happening and no matter how much we worry, the power is in the hands of Him and his prayer warriors to act on His behalf.  Worry only causes confusion and that is certainly not from God.  If Becky feels really bad then yes, take her to her family doctor or call the dr. as Mainy said, maybe they can prescribe something for her. 

Take care and stay well yourself as you are important too.  One of the sisters on the journey,
Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 11:40am
dave,
there is a "bug" out there--it got me a couple of weeks ago--sore throat, fatigue, cough. see how it goes and if she isn't getting better call her doctor.(it took me weeks to get over this "bug")
chicken soup is great!  you are awesome!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 9:07pm
Dave,

I'd give the doc a call.  It may be just a bug, but with her immune system they may want to be cautious and check her out sooner than later.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 10:43am
Thanks everyone, Becky is feeling better today but not well.  She told me when she coughs, or blows her nose the chest area where she had her mastectomy hurts because it is so tight there, does anyone else experience this that had a mastectomy?

Dave
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 10:53pm
Dave, I'm glad Becky is feeling better. Please tell her yes, that my chest hurt too when I coughed. The whole area along the surgery scars is so tight that even when I'm not sick it is uncomfortable but like a robo call or hotshot phone salesman I've gotten good at hanging up on the suckers.
I suspect your chicken soup will make her right as rain pretty soon. Thanks for being there for her.

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 11:29pm
Here is the Chicken Soup Recipe that I used:

About a three to four pound chicken put in a big pot cover with water.  Add one onion chopped in half, three carrots, and three celery sticks.

Add salt and pepper and I used a combination of french spices called, "Herbes De Provence" by Spice Islands.  Let it boil until the meat falls from the bone.  I then added one cube of chicken broth.

Once this is done, I separated the meat from the bones and put the broth in a separate bowl.  I then put olive oil in the pot and cut up half an onion, chopped up some carrots, and sauteed them with a little wine.  I stirred it around and let it cook for about five minutes.  I added the celery.  Then let simmer again for about ten minutes.  After that I added the broth and chicken.  Let it cook until the carrots are done and serve.

I threw away the first vegetables, using them only as stock.  Enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 12:23pm
Dave, perfect timing, I'm off to the grocery store!

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 3:01pm
I had a tummy bug this week, I wish Dave had been here to take care of me Big smile  two days later my son had it.  It seems my daughter has it now. Nasty but thankfully short lived.  

With the cough and chest conjestion I'd get a doc involved, she could have some sort of lung infection that needs antibiotics and maybe an inhaler to open her up.  My oncologist says if I'm sick for more than 72 hours - with ANYTHING - she wants to know about it.  I vote for making the call!!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 3:56pm
Hi Dave,

I'm not even hungry at the moment but your description of that soup made me drool. It does sound yummy...

If there has been any fever, upset tummy or such, dehydration could be possible. Also, please don't ignore a significant cough too long. Better safe than sorry. My oncologist tells me he would rather I "feel like a fool" over nothing, than ignore something.

You are a good nurse.....

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic