Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is with this Rib Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Penny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is with this Rib Pain
    Posted: Jun 12 2017 at 1:55pm
Hi Everyone

I continue to have this strange rib pain intermittently on my left side (same side as my diagnosed IBC).  I have thankfully completed all of my chemo and last week finished up my radiation treatments.  I have had a completed CT scan (all clear, nothing found of concern) and am now on the follow up care plan.  I return to both my medical oncologist and radiology oncologist mid July for a follow up.  All they have asked for is a mammogram on the affected breast to create a new baseline going forward.  Both have said I have a great prognosis since this was found so early and we attacked it fast and aggressively.  

I mentioned to both doctors my rib pain, and both were not concerned at all.  They palpitated the area and said it could be any number of things or nothing.  This is truly the only issue I am having.  I do not want to live a life of fear with every little ache and pain and have scoured this site and see many ladies mention rib pain months and/or years later.  So, what is it?  

Any answers is helpful and I pray that you all are doing well and thriving.  Thank you in advance for helping me with this.

Penny  
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2017 at 3:11pm
I had my cancer on the left side also.  During treatment I kept having pain on my left side under my breast, kind of like my ribs,  I asked if it could be damage on an organ from the chemo or radiation.  3 doctors told me it was nothing.  I still after 7 years have some pain.  It is less now but still there.  And no one seems to think it is anything.  I have had ultrasound, mammos etc.  Blood work everything.  Who knows.  If you find out anything let me know.  But know I have made it 7 years + since diagnosis.  And yours was so small really you are pretty safe from recurrence.  I also only had TC, no A.  Said was to  hard on the heart.  Plus your cancer was so small you almost didn't need chemo either.  Mine at 1 cm was given a 90% survival for the first 2 to 3 years  after 3 years it went to about 95%  After 5 nearly 100%.  Can never say never but odds good. 
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2017 at 3:12pm
hope that made sense.  Not underneath my breast but just under, like between my waist and breast.  felt like my ribs or something.
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
Penny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2017 at 3:45pm
HI Snugltz!  

Totally makes sense where you are saying.  I first thought it was my stomach, than spleen.  But it is literally on top of my rib and sometimes I can feel it pulsating and sometimes it is just a pain (almost like a side ache but up higher under the breast area and on top of the rib).  Your email relieves my worry.  I knew others felt this pain so I wanted to check.  I had less radiation then you (only 30 sessions and 5 were boosts).  I am so wanting this phase over I have to be honest and I am really feeling GOOD.  Great energy, good appetite.  Excited to see my hair coming in and the radiation area is still very red and hurts but is getting better each day.  My port was removed and that area is still very sore!  Haven't started working out "heavy" just yet because I was worried about the rib pain.  I have done my best, brought it up with both doctors.  Nothing else I can do really.  So very grateful for this site and the women who have gone before me.  Could not have gone through this scary time without this site for sure!  Thanks :)

Penny
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic