FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
baldtigger1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldtigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if?
    Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:04pm
What if I just skipped radiation treatment?  I've already had my AC and my Taxol.  I've also had a month off of treatment and it has been SO nice.
Would it really make such a big deal to just skip radiation?
I've already been measured and everything so I'm ready to start, I just don't want to.

Edited by baldtigger1 - Jan 18 2014 at 12:37pm
DX 5/24, stage2B invasive, no nodes,
4 A/C completed 7/31, 12 Taxol completed 11/22, 20 rads...
Life is an adventure!
rosered71169 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosered71169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 7:59pm
It sounds like you have been through the "worst" already. Radiation is not fun by any means but it sure isn't as intense as chemo or surgery (you didn't mention surgery but I am assuming that you have already been through it). In my experience, I felt that it was best for me to use all of the weapons in the doctors arsenels to make sure the cancer cell NEVER COME BACK. I didn't want any "what ifs" hanging around out there if I did not follow the plan for tretament and I had a reoccurance. Just my two cents...I wish you the best in your decision!
IDC 2-21-2012 @ age 42 TNBC, Stage IIA, Gr 3, 1.5cm Tumor Rt Breast, 3 Lymph Nodes, Neoadj Chemo, TACx6,BRCA Neg, Bilateral Mastectomy 7-30-12, 28 Rads, Bilateral DIEP 5-22-13...3 Beautiful Daughters
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:33pm
Just my two cents, I'd do the radiation.  I'm assuming you had a lumpectomy.  Radiation is used to help mop up any remaining cells and is an effective part of your treatment.  It's not nearly as bad as chemo.  The worst part was the drive each day to and from the treatment center.  

Please read the information Steve posted on another thread about Radiation:

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/our-new-forum_topic10406.html

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Jan 13 2014 at 8:37pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:57pm
I'm pretty sure most of us felt like you do. I know I did. And then an 'elder' here shook me up by reminding me that us Tnegs don't have the advantage the 'positive' ladies have of after or 2ndary regimes like Tamoxifen. We really get our best shot at kicking this beast to the curb the first time around and if we don't throw the kitchen sink at it, we end up underestimating its aggressive tenacity.

Radiation isn't tough compared to chemo, it is a pain in the butt to get yourself down to the office for what seems like only a few minutes of treatment and then try and manage your day around the treatments, BUT it is terribly important in your treatment. You'll have to take good care of yourself, with salves, vitamin D3 and plenty of rest, but when I look back I'm always relieved that I did all that I could the first round.

Please please do go ahead and go for the radiation.
Best, Mainy
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldtigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 12:36pm
Thank you all for responding and cheering me on.  I did start radiation this week and it's not bad at all.  It's helpful to be reminded that we don't have that many tools in our arsenal!  
Life is an adventure!
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 3:37pm
Dear baldtigger1,

YEAH!  You're heading for the finish line.  I am so glad you made the decision to continue with radiation. 

Just continue to share and we will continue the SUPPORT...

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 3:41pm
Good decision!  Remember we are here for you as you get closer to that finish line:)

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 8:16pm
Hello everyone,

A radiation treatment center has recently opened in our town offering a new type of radiation called "Proton Therapy." I was just wondering if any of you knew any thing about it or had any experience with it. It is different from the conventional radiation that Susan (and I'm assuming most of you) had. Here is their website address:

http://provisionproton.com

I don't post as often as I did when Susan was in treatment, but I want you all to know that you are always in our prayers.

Thanks,

Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 10:11pm
Hi Martin,

so nice to hear from you and wishing you a healthy, happy New Year.

As far as I know proton therapy is generally not recommended for breast cancer patients.

MD Anderson Cancer Center was one of the first institutions in the country to use proton therapy.

Here is a link indicating the cancers they treat with proton therapy.

I noticed on the internet that some other institutions seem to be treating breast cancer with proton therapy. Loma Linda Hospital seems to have a clinical trials program. Also, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance has an ongoing "multi-institutional" trial.

Until the results of those trials are known I would be uncomfortable suggesting proton therapy vs traditional radiotherapy.

Thanks again, Marty, for your wonderful support over the years. You are always welcome.

warmly,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
clarkjennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkjennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 6:00am
It is great to have a news like this. When a cancer patient like my friend gets rid of cancer by radiation therapy treatment. It is less effective than chemotherapy but still if a patients is become fine with this than it is surely a achievement in the field of cancer treatment. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldtigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 10:35pm
Just wanted to say that I finished my radiation therapy!  Hurray!
Now…just waiting for my burns to finish peeling.  I know, big deal…but isn't it nice to have something SMALL to whine about for a change?Tongue
Life is an adventure!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 8:00am
Congrats!  The burns heal pretty quickly.  I bet you're relieved and ready to celebrate.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic