Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weight gain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fighting back View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fighting back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight gain
    Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 5:22am

Okay I just came from the doctors, and she reminded me to get plenty of exercise and eat healthy during chemo. She continued to say that 30% of women gain 10-20 lbs during treatment. Is this true?

If so, I had no idea. I was under the impression that I was going to be to sick during most of treatment, so how am I going to gain weight. With all the other side effects I have read, we have to add weight gain also.  

I hope this doesn't sound vein, because my health is so much more important than my physical appearance, but COME ON!

I hate this so much and I haven't even started yet.

billie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 5:40am
Hi Fighting Back,
     I have to say that the meds my sis was on worked great for her so theirfore she was not really really sick all the time.
     Yet she lost weight.She was a fast food juncky prior to BC.She immediatly changed her eating habits.No fat and low fat.No milk products,and the weight started dropping off of her.I saw this take place on my sister.Just changing your eating habits works.
    My goodness,why can't I  do this for myself.
      Lots of Huggggsssss     Billie
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/gradeIII/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/T N /clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer
ChrissieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 6:09am
Hi FightingBack -

I actually lost 17 lbs since my diagnosis in October.  The 1st 5 or 6 the first 2 weeks after diagnosis just from walking.  I walked now and then but starting the day after diagnosis I walked every day 3 miles.  Then came the diet...I began following the breast cancer diet - no dairy (cheese was huge part of my diet) no red meat no processed foods.  Well, I have to say that I eat about every 3 hours and have maintained my weight for about 2 months so far.  I did cut down on my exercise during the winter and chemo fatigue but did try to get some sort of a walk in a few times a week.  I fully believe the exercise and diet helped me to get through chemo with minimal side effects.

I know some folks are on high dose steroids during chemo which can cause weight gain.  But I was only on low dose decadron and did fine.

Don't stress about that which you can not control.  Try to exercise, eat as healthy as possible and you will be fine.  If you do gain weight you can always take it off when chemo is done. 

Best Wishes

39 from MA, Mom(8.5 and 6),
Lumpectomy IDC 1.5cm Stage I, Grade 3
ACx4 Taxolx4 dose dense started 11/17; Bi-lateral Mastectomy with expanders scheduled for 3/24/09
God is carrying me through !
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 6:41am
I gained a few pounds....i want to lose weight since I was overweight before I was diagnosed with bc.
eating nutritious food along with some form of exercise really helps. 
very few people I know, who have gone through chemo, gained much weight.
becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 9:19am
My doctor told me the same thing...she said not only are we going to do all this to your body but you will also gain ( not lose ) weight...I gained 10 pounds but lost it after chemo ended...I thought  ...I have cancer , at least I will lose weight Big%20smile no such luck...so I guess there is nothing good about having cancer ...
but seriously if you gain it you will lose it and the drugs are saving your life so don't worry to much about it ..

HUGS Becca
Age58 DX 12/07
Grand Junction, Colorado
Lumpectomy 1/08/08
Stage IIIA grade3
5/19 nodes
chemo 5/08 radiation 7/08
clear pet 9/08
Shelley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 12:09pm
Sorry - I gained.  I think it was the steroids.  Just remember to drink lots of water and walk lots.  It will help keep you thin.
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 2:14pm

Everyone is different, I took three drugs at chemo and was very sick. I recieved  meds in my port to help me feel better. I would go the next day to get more meds in my port for nausea.

I remember thinking myself  at least i will not get heavy. I gained 20 pounds. The first two weeks I would be too sick to do anything and then have one good week. I was so active before and too weak to exercise. Some people do not get sick at all. Some foods taste different and some smells may bother you.

What is important is keeping your strength up and your immune system. When you recover you will lose the weight if you gain.

The best thing for me is how much closer i became to my family. There is good and joy in the months ahead.

Vickyann
triple negative survivor

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2009 at 6:23pm
Hi fighting back,

Don't get too worried about it, it is hard to say what will or will not happen to you since we are all different.  Some of the meds they gives us plus sometimes some of the chemo can cause a bit of weight gain and again if one isn't feeling well they probably aren't exercising or getting enough activity.  Have to find a comfortable area where you can get the rest you need but try some light exercise as well.

Best wishes
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Lyndsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2009 at 4:42am

Dear Fighting Back,

I can tell you my personal experience, I have gained 21#'s and I just finished my 14th chemo.  The medicines they use to protect you from chemo drugs really blew me up.  My face got really round and the rest of me puffed up too.  The Dr. told me it would go away after chemo treatments.  I really thought I wouldn't gain the weight because I have been using an exercise bike 30 min daily and hand weights. I am also involved in a clininical study for a Tibeten Stretch Class at MDA, to see the effects of exercise on TNC.............However, Regretfully I still gained weight.  However, I have talked with others who have not gained as much, So hang in there ......................You might be one of the lucky ones.

Good Luck and  God Bless.......................Lyndsey
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2009 at 7:49am
steroids will make you puff up and makes the face round, once i quit taking steroids, my face unpuffed, as did my body.
cduvall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cduvall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2009 at 9:11am
Dear Fighting Back,
  I kept a journal while going through chemo and radiation.  I still add to the journal.  In the early pages I made a list of all of the things I HATED about the whole d_ _ _ed process!!  I believe that entry was on day 5 after my first infusion.  Anger is normal for us. 
  As for weight gain, this is such an individual thing.  I lost 20+ pounds after my first dx.  Lost another 5 or so during chemo.  During this weight loss time I made certain I ate a good healty foods that would help me fight off a recurrence.  I'm still working on eating well.
  As for vanity...you be just as vain as you want. 

Carol
dx 3/08 age 63, invasive metaplastic carcinoma, 2cm, node neg, grade 3, stage I, lumpectomy 5/08,AC 4x, Taxol 12x weekly, radiation 5wk, NED 4/29/09
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2009 at 11:36am
I lost approximately 30 lbs.  I started eating healthy and walking/running as frequently as possible.  I had no reaction to the steriods.

The only thing I can say is everyone reacts differently to chemo.
41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
kimm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2009 at 11:50am
Dear fighting back,

I'm sorry to say that I definitely was one of those that gained weight.
Although I lost some at the time of diagnosis and surgery, while on Taxol I gained from 1-3 lbs per week!! 

It definitely was the chemo as I was eating healthier than I ever had before.  I have to admit I was very depressed about it.  With no breasts and no hair, the last thing I needed was this 30 extra pounds!!

That being said, if necessary I would do it all again.  As someone else said, these drugs are saving your life.  Worry about the weight later if you gain any at all.  Your health is most important now.

On the brighter side, I am now 2 yrs from diagnosis and am finally strong enough to get my shape and my life back. Big%20smile

Best wishes,

Kim
Cherseybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherseybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 4:15am
Just thought I'd add my two cents.  I lost twenty pounds from the day of diagnosis until the day I finished chemo.  I felt like my stomach always had a big ball of knots in it.  Everything I ate went right through me.  I looked really bad, nothing fit, I looked sick!  I think I was one of those people who's metabolism got heated up and couldn't shut down.  Since chemo ended I've gained back about 12 lbs.  Feel and look much better. 

Try not to worry about the number on the scale.  You'll have lots of other stuff to deal with through this journey.  I craved vegetables and fruit (go figure?) and really felt best when I was outside getting some real air.  Maybe you will too!

Best of Luck.

Cheryl
Dx. 03/07/08 - Masectomy & node dissection 22/07/08. IDC, 8/14 positive nodes, Grade 3/Stage 3C. Tx - 4DD AC then 4DD Taxol. Avastin - Beatrice Study. 30 Rads. Liver Mets - November '09.
asinglerose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinglerose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 9:21am
Hi,
I gained 14 pounds! and I have been off the chemo now over 2 months, on rad at this time...Anyways I have only lost 7 pounds, have not been exercising so much, all of this has affected me since we are all different, I do not have any energy  at all, but then again, like I said this is me.
I do eat healthy, always have, but yes, those steroids do it to ya!!

Right now I 'm still in treatment, so it does not bother me so much.

I just want it over and want to live!

Aleida
Aleida
dx 8/22/08, TNBC, IDC,
Lumpectomy/10/6/08 right breast/ 8mm/
clear nodes/ clear margins/ Stage1/ TAXOTERE/CYTOXAN every 3 weeks X4/ 45 RADS!
PRAYING FOR THE BEST!!

becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 10:10am
Aleida,
  You are on the down swing and it will be over soon.. I finished radiation last July and I am just starting to get my energy back..
I remember when I was in treatment seeing a women come in the cancer center and she took off her hat to show off her hair, she was 3 months out of treatment and  I thought I want to be her, I thought that day would never get here.  So far I have gotten my hair cut 2 times nowTongue  I still need to lose some weight but I am walking everyday and trying to eat right.

HUGS,
Becca

Age58 DX 12/07
Grand Junction, Colorado
Lumpectomy 1/08/08
Stage IIIA grade3
5/19 nodes
chemo 5/08 radiation 7/08
clear pet 9/08
asinglerose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinglerose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 11:00am
Thanks Becca..
i was thinking the worst because I am so exausted always lately.

hugs
Aleida
Aleida
dx 8/22/08, TNBC, IDC,
Lumpectomy/10/6/08 right breast/ 8mm/
clear nodes/ clear margins/ Stage1/ TAXOTERE/CYTOXAN every 3 weeks X4/ 45 RADS!
PRAYING FOR THE BEST!!

kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 4:28pm
Dear Aleida,

Be gentle on yourself  ~ very good advice given to me that I pass on to you.

After RT I was fatigued for about 3 months...finally getting some stamina.

About the weight question...I only gained about 7-8lbs. No too bad! I was told the same ~ some gain 30-40lbs. Others lose.

We are in this together,

Kathy
Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
Dory34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dory34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 7:38am
Hi ladies-I was one of the 30 lb. gainers. I hated every pound. I was on steroids. I am almost 4 yrs. out from dx. I have lost it all but it wasn't easy! It realy bothered me cause I was bald,fat and breastless during the summer. I felt like I couldnt sweat right so I hardly wore anything on my head. One time I went to pick a pizza up and the man behind the counter said"have a nice day sir" .I had a nice cry after that BUT I look back and I laugh at that now. Hang in there and take things day by day...don't worry about problems until you actually have them! Smile!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic