Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2015 at 12:05pm
Lillie,

I agree with you it should be part of routine testing and care just like knowing our cholesterol levels and blood pressure.  You can order an in-home test kit from the Vitamin D council and it's only $50.  I did this when I was first diagnosed as no one would test me and it's how I found out I was deficient.  Here's the link if you are interested.

Hugs,
Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2016 at 11:45am
High blood levels of vitamin D linked to reduced estrogen – and potentially lower breast cancer risk

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:05pm
Vitamin D deficiency contributes to spread of breast cancer in mice, Stanford study finds

Breast tumors in laboratory mice deficient in vitamin D grow faster and are more likely to metastasize than tumors in mice with adequate levels of vitamin D, according to a preliminary study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine.

The research highlights a direct link between circulating vitamin D levels and the expression of a gene called ID1, known to be associated with tumor growth and breast cancer metastasis. . . . . .

. . . ."Our study shows that a deficiency in vitamin D levels, or an inability of tumor cells to respond appropriately to the presence of vitamin D, is sufficient to trigger non-metastatic cancer cells to become metastatic," said Feldman. "It's enough to significantly accelerate tumor progression in our mouse model. Further studies are warranted, but this direct association between vitamin D levels and ID1 expression is very interesting to us."

Edited by 123Donna - Mar 03 2016 at 6:06pm

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 8:22pm
Wow, that's a really big finding. Over the years the D story has had its ups and downs but I've always been glad I stuck with it, and after reading this piece even more so!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 2:29pm
What is the optimum level to have?
DX TNBC 1/14; age 66; Stage 1; Grade 2; 1.2 cm; 0/2 nodes; lumpectomy; BRAC Neg; 4 DD AC; Completed 12 weekly Taxol July 2014; Radiation August 2014
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 3:28pm

What do the results mean?

When you get your test results you will see a number in units of ng/ml, for example, 50 ng/ml. These are the units that health professionals in the United States use. Elsewhere in the world, vitamin D blood test results are given in units of nmol/l.

To convert a test result measured in nmol/l to one measured in ng/ml, divide the nmol/l number by 2.5. For example, 50 nmol/l is the same as 20 ng/ml (50÷2.5).

To convert a test result measured in ng/ml to one measured in nmol/l, multiply the ng/ml number by 2.5. For example, 20 ng/ml is the same as 50 nmol/l (20 x 2.5).

These are the ranges that different organizations in the United States use to say whether you’re severely lacking in vitamin D (deficient), mildly lacking in vitamin D (insufficient) or whether you’re getting enough vitamin D (sufficient):Vitamin D 25(OH)D range guidelines from various organizations:
Vitamin D CouncilEndocrine SocietyFood and Nutrition BoardTesting Laboratories
Deficient0-30 ng/ml0-20 ng/ml0-11 ng/ml0-31 ng/ml
Insufficient31-39 ng/ml21-29 ng/ml12-20 ng/ml
Sufficient40-80 ng/ml30-100 ng/ml>20 ng/ml32-100 ng/ml
Toxic>150 ng/ml

The Vitamin D Council suggests that a level of 50 ng/ml is the ideal level to aim for. This is why the Council recommends that adults take 5,000 IU/day of vitamin D supplement in order to reach and stay at this level.

The Endocrine Society recommends taking a vitamin D supplement of around 2,000 IU/day to reach and stay above a level of  30 ng/ml. This is what the Endocrine Society recommends as the ideal level to aim for. Lastly, the Food and Nutrition Board recommends 600 IU/day of vitamin D supplement because they believe 20 ng/ml is the ideal level to aim for.

What should you do based on your test results?

• If you tested low and want a higher level, you need to get more sun exposure or take a larger daily supplement.
  • If you tested and are right where you want to be, continue your supplement and sun exposure routine. Keep in mind that your level in the summer is probably higher than in the winter, with more sun and UVB. So you may need to supplement more in the winter than in the summer to have the same vitamin D level.
  • If you tested high and want a lower level, you need to take a smaller daily supplement.

You do not want to have a level over 100 ng/ml and in fact anything over 150 ng/ml is considered toxic.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/testing-for-vitamin-d/

MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2016 at 12:27pm
Thank you Donna!  Just got tested and now at 60, which I guess is good enough?  I recall that last time I was tested it was around 70, but that may have been in a sunnier month.  

Paula
DX TNBC 1/14; age 66; Stage 1; Grade 2; 1.2 cm; 0/2 nodes; lumpectomy; BRAC Neg; 4 DD AC; Completed 12 weekly Taxol July 2014; Radiation August 2014
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2016 at 5:19pm
Paula,

I think your results are very good.  I've been able to maintain my levels in the upper 50's to low 60's for that past several years.  A much better improvement than starting out at 19 in 2009.

MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2016 at 11:09am
Thanks for the feedback Donna.  I take 2,000 units morning & night, plus whatever is in my Silver Centrum multi & calcium + D.  
StephandBrandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephandBrandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 3:40pm
Can I ask what over the counter beta blockers are best to take? 

Thanks!!!
DX on 1/27/15, Stage 3 TNBC, A/C every 2 weeks for 8 weeks, Taxol/Carbo every week for 12 weeks, Carbo every 3rd

Local lymphnode recurrence 3/3/17; Keytruda Trial 3/29/17
StephandBrandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephandBrandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 3:42pm
Sorry wrong forum post thread....disregard my last post. 
DX on 1/27/15, Stage 3 TNBC, A/C every 2 weeks for 8 weeks, Taxol/Carbo every week for 12 weeks, Carbo every 3rd

Local lymphnode recurrence 3/3/17; Keytruda Trial 3/29/17
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 8:16am
Vitamin D – inflammation and cancer

There has been a flood of new research on the effects of vitamin D on inflammation and cancer. Here are updates on the research:

Researchers at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center have found that weight loss, in combination with vitamin D supplementation, has a greater effect on reducing chronic inflammation than weight loss alone. Chronic inflammation is known to contribute to the development and progression of several diseases, including some cancers.1

Here is what other researchers reported: “Insufficient vitamin D plasma levels are found in 20- 60% of cancer patients at diagnosis and vitamin D deficiency is associated with higher aggressivity of tumor and shorter survival of patients.

Even in the absence of clinical studies showing benefit of supplementation on outcome, clear recommendations are currently available for treatment of vitamin D deficiency. Owing to the high prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in cancer patients and significant risks of its further decrease after antitumor therapy, it should become standard of care to examine 25- hydroxyvitamin D serum levels and correct vitamin D insufficiency in cancer patients” 1

• In the latest research, doctors suggest that bowel cancer patients with high levels of vitamin D in their blood are more likely to survive the disease.
  • vitamin D levels in healthy adults significantly impacts genes involved with a number of biologic pathways associated with cancer.
  • The list of growing research in support of vitamin D for cancer prevention and positive impact on cancer continues to grow.

According to research from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, patients with metastatic colorectal cancer who had high levels of vitamin D in their bloodstream prior to treatment with chemotherapy and targeted drugs, survived longer, on average, than patients with lower levels of the vitamin. Those findings were reported at the 2015 American Society of Cancer Oncology (ASCO) Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium in San Francisco.

The research, based on data from more than 1,000 patients with metastatic colorectal cancer who enrolled in a phase 3 clinical trial of chemotherapy plus biologic therapies, adds to vitamin D’s already impressive luster as a potential cancer-inhibiting agent. In the study, patients with the highest blood levels of vitamin D survived for a median period of 32.6 months, compared to 24.5 months for those with the lowest levels.

Potential benefits of maintaining sufficient levels of vitamin D in improving patient survival times

“This is the largest study that has been undertaken of metastatic colorectal cancer patients and vitamin D,” said the study’s lead author, Kimmie Ng, MD, MPH, a medical oncologist in the Gastrointestinal Cancer Treatment Center at Dana-Farber. “It’s further supportive of the potential benefits of maintaining sufficient levels of vitamin D in improving patient survival times.”

Patients with the highest levels of vitamin D have half the risk of dying compared with those with the lowest levels, the findings reveal. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh  tested blood samples from almost 1600 patients after surgery for bowel cancer.

The greatest benefit of vitamin D was seen in patients with stage 2 disease, at which the tumor may be quite large but the cancer has not yet spread.

• Researchers found that three quarters of the patients with the highest vitamin D levels were still alive at the end of five years, compared with less than two thirds of those with the lowest levels.

The results show that vitamin D is associated with a much better chance of cancer survival, although the nature of this relationship is not clear from this study. 3

Breast cancer

Other research says breast cancer patients with high levels of vitamin D in their blood are twice as likely to survive the disease as women with low levels of this nutrient. This comes from a report by University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

In previous studies, researchers showed that low vitamin D levels were linked to a high risk of premenopausal breast cancer. These finding lead to questioning the relationship between 25-hydroxyvitamin D  and breast cancer survival rates.

Their findings: “Vitamin D metabolites increase communication between cells by switching on a protein that blocks aggressive cell division. . . As long as vitamin D receptors are present tumor growth is prevented and kept from expanding its blood supply. Vitamin D receptors are not lost until a tumor is very advanced. This is the reason for better survival in patients whose vitamin D blood levels are high.”4

Vitamin D acts at the Molecular Level in fighting cancer

“Research from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) shows that improving vitamin D status by increasing its level in the blood could have a number of non-skeletal health benefits. The study, published online in PLOS ONE, reveals for the first time that improvement in the vitamin D status of healthy adults significantly impacts genes involved with a number of biologic pathways associated with cancer, cardiovascular disease (CVD), infectious diseases and autoimmune diseases. While previous studies have shown that vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increased risk for the aforementioned diseases, these results go a step further and provide direct evidence that improvement in vitamin D status plays a large role in improving immunity and lowering the risk for many diseases.

The data demonstrates that improving vitamin D status can have a dramatic effect on gene expression in our immune cells and may help explain the role of vitamin D in reducing the risk for CVD, cancer and other diseases.5 In a supportive study cancer patients who have higher levels of vitamin D when they are diagnosed tend to have better survival rates and remain in remission longer than patients who are vitamin D-deficient, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (JCEM).6

http://www.drmagaziner.com/vitamin-d-for-cancer-prevention/

MomMom44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomMom44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 11:33am
Thank you Donna. This is amazing research.

Paula
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 7:20pm
Thank you Donna for being such a wonderful source of information for us all. I certainly appreciate it as I am sure so many other do too!!
Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 8:34pm
The vitamin D3 issue got more interesting to me when my brother came to live with me last October.   His first lab showed his vitamin D level to be 12.  His Primary Dr. put him on a 5000 unit of Vitamin D3 once a day.  He is due for another extensive blood labs in April.  I'm anxious to see how much it has increased. 
He had a stroke last July and there is inflammation in his veins which is 'not good'.  I'm going to ask his Dr. how the vitamin D plays into the picture. 
Just sharing how important Vitamin D3 is for us TN girls and for others.
God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2016 at 10:48pm
Thanks Lillie!  I hope your brother's next lab results show an improvement in his Vitamin D level.  Please let us know.

Donna

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2016 at 10:49pm
Vitamin D Boosts Heart Function in Study

Regular doses of vitamin D3 may improve heart function in heart failure patients, a new British study suggests.

"These findings could make a significant difference to the care of heart failure patients," said study leader Dr. Klaus Witte, from the University of Leeds School of Medicine. "It is the first evidence that vitamin D3 can improve heart function of people with heart muscle weakness -- known as heart failure."

The study included more than 160 patients who had pacemakers and/or were receiving blood pressure drugs known as ACE inhibitors or beta blockers.

The study participants took either vitamin D or inactive placebo pills once a day for a year.

The researchers explained that they avoided using a calcium-based vitamin D supplement, because calcium can cause other problems for heart failure patients.

Heart pumping function improved from 26 percent to 34 percent in patients who took vitamin D, while there was no change among those who took the placebo pills, the investigators found.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2016-04-04/vitamin-d-boosts-heart-function-in-study

Lorene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 6:09pm
Hi Donna and all,

It's good to come back here occasionally!

Where would I find the 50 ng/ml Vit. D level suggestion in the Vitamin C Council?  And is this specifically for Breast Cancer/former patients, or everyone?  

I'm still doing good!

SmileLorene
dx10/01@age59,IDC TNBC, St.IIB,Gr3,2.5cm,3+nodes, epirubicin,5FU,cytoxan,33Rads,No recurrence, 2018
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 9:14pm
Lorene,

Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

What do the results mean?

When you get your test results you will see a number in units of ng/ml, for example, 50 ng/ml. These are the units that health professionals in the United States use. Elsewhere in the world, vitamin D blood test results are given in units of nmol/l.

To convert a test result measured in nmol/l to one measured in ng/ml, divide the nmol/l number by 2.5. For example, 50 nmol/l is the same as 20 ng/ml (50÷2.5).

To convert a test result measured in ng/ml to one measured in nmol/l, multiply the ng/ml number by 2.5. For example, 20 ng/ml is the same as 50 nmol/l (20 x 2.5).

These are the ranges that different organizations in the United States use to say whether you’re severely lacking in vitamin D (deficient), mildly lacking in vitamin D (insufficient) or whether you’re getting enough vitamin D (sufficient):Vitamin D 25(OH)D range guidelines from various organizations:
Vitamin D CouncilEndocrine SocietyFood and Nutrition BoardTesting Laboratories
Deficient0-30 ng/ml0-20 ng/ml0-11 ng/ml0-31 ng/ml
Insufficient31-39 ng/ml21-29 ng/ml12-20 ng/ml
Sufficient40-80 ng/ml30-100 ng/ml>20 ng/ml32-100 ng/ml
Toxic>150 ng/ml

The Vitamin D Council suggests that a level of 50 ng/ml is the ideal level to aim for. This is why the Council recommends that adults take 5,000 IU/day of vitamin D supplement in order to reach and stay at this level.

The Endocrine Society recommends taking a vitamin D supplement of around 2,000 IU/day to reach and stay above a level of  30 ng/ml. This is what the Endocrine Society recommends as the ideal level to aim for. Lastly, the Food and Nutrition Board recommends 600 IU/day of vitamin D supplement because they believe 20 ng/ml is the ideal level to aim for.

What should you do based on your test results?

• If you tested low and want a higher level, you need to get more sun exposure or take a larger daily supplement.
  • If you tested and are right where you want to be, continue your supplement and sun exposure routine. Keep in mind that your level in the summer is probably higher than in the winter, with more sun and UVB. So you may need to supplement more in the winter than in the summer to have the same vitamin D level.
  • If you tested high and want a lower level, you need to take a smaller daily supplement.

You do not want to have a level over 100 ng/ml and in fact anything over 150 ng/ml is considered toxic.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/testing-for-vitamin-d/

Lorene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2016 at 11:47am
Thank you, Donna!

My Rhuematologist ( who is treating me for osteoporosis) has told me to STOP taking my Vit. D3 supplement!   and I need some documented evidence to confirm to her the need to continue.  My D3 level is in the upper 50's.  

Lorene
dx10/01@age59,IDC TNBC, St.IIB,Gr3,2.5cm,3+nodes, epirubicin,5FU,cytoxan,33Rads,No recurrence, 2018
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344>
  Share Topic