Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tasoula_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoula_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 2:38pm
Donna, does your Citracal tablet includes Vitamin D3 in it? Do you take any magnesium tablet?

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 2:53pm
Tasoulla,

The Citracal bottle says Vit D - 500 iu, Calcium - 630 mg.  The ingredients include Calcium Citrate, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Stearate, Vit D3.  So I'm thinking it does include magnesium but maybe not enough to be listed on the bottle.  I also take a multivitamin that has magnesium 13% for RDA.  

There is another brand of Citracal that has added Magnesium.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 3:37pm
More on Magnesium from the VitaminDcouncil website:

Magnesium and vitamin D

Magnesium has been found to influence the body’s utilization of vitamin D in the following ways: Magnesium activates cellular enzymatic activity. In fact, all the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D require it. 3 4 Low magnesium has been shown to alter, by way of decreasing, production of vitamin D’s active form, 1,25(OH)2D (calcitriol). 5

Magnesium is needed to exert positive influence over the human genome and may be involved in the genetic actions of vitamin D. Magnesium possibly has a role in vitamin D’s effect on the immune system6

Animal studies have shown magnesium is also necessary for vitamin D’s beneficial actions on bone. 7 8

Supplementary and dietary magnesium

Daily needs

Men generally require more magnesium per day than do women. The US Government RDA for magnesium is not sufficient for maintaining adequate magnesium balance within the body, and both men and women may require more than is recommended. 9

Studies reveal the minimal daily requirement for magnesium is around 3 mg/lb (6 mg/kg). So, for a 160 lb (70 kg) adult, this would be about 420 mg. 9

In addition, optimum daily intake is considered to be between 3-5 mg/lb (7-10 mg/kg), equaling somewhere around 490-700 mg. 9

Which form of magnesium?

Supplemental magnesium comes in many different forms, many of which have low absorption and bio-availability, decreasing their effectiveness. How effective a magnesiumsupplement is can be determined by two things:

1.  amount of elemental magnesium contained
  2.  bioavailability of the magnesium (determined by its source)

Magnesium oxide is the most common form of magnesiumsold, but only about 4% is absorbed, making it ineffective at providing the body’s magnesium needs. 10 One study even found magnesium oxide supplementation “resulted in no differences compared to placebo.” 11

Magnesium taurate, glycinate, citrate, and gluconate have demonstrated higher absorption and bioavailability. 12Magnesium malate and glycinate are considered by many to be even more effective supplemental forms.

Transdermal magnesium chloride

Gaining in popularity is another form of magnesium, known as transdermal magnesium chloride or magnesium oil. Instead of oral administration, the magnesium chloride is applied to the skin where it is absorbed directly into the cells, bypassing the digestive tract. Due to this, magnesium chloride is said to be the most readily-absorbed form, though there have yet to be any studies performed.

Foods that contain magnesium

Nuts and seeds are a great source of magnesium.

The following foods are good sources ofmagnesium, providing anywhere from 64-170 mg per serving:

• Halibut
  • Spinach
  • Squash
  • Seeds, especially pumpkin and toasted sesame
  • Beans, especially pinto and black
  • Plantain, raw
  • Nuts, especially Brazil nuts, almonds, peanuts

Magnesium deficiency

Magnesium deficiency is epidemic in the United States, with the majority of Americans unknowingly deficient. 9 13 This can be problematic when optimizing vitamin D levels. In fact, it is common for rising vitamin D levels to bring up symptoms of an underlying magnesium deficiency.

Vitamin D has no known side effects. If one experiences any of the following symptoms due to supplementing with vitamin D - or with sun exposure - a magnesium deficiency is most likely the reason why:

• irritability or anxiety
  • nausea
  • headaches
  • insomnia
  • fatigue
  • muscle cramps/twitching
  • weakness
  • constipation
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

tasoula_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoula_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 4:51pm
Very useful Donna thank you!!
It seems that magnesium is needed, in low doses of course, for the better absorption of calcium.
Is good to add and natural products to your diet for calcium like cheese and yoguart for extra calcium.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 5:23pm
Tasoulla,

This is a funny story.  I was watching Dr. Andrew Weil talk about Brazil nuts.  Not only do they have magnesium, but he said one nut has 200 mcg. of selenium.  This is the optimal daily dose in just one nut.  We have a large container of mixed nuts I purchased at the store.  My husband doesn't like brazil nuts at all.  I don't mind them and said all I need to do is eat one brazil nut a day.  He said, Oh, I've been throwing them away.  No wonder I couldn't find many in the container.  Ha, I told him save them for me!

Donna

tasoula_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoula_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 1:54am
Donna, this is very good !!!:)) Natural way of having magnesium and selenium.......i will go today to buy some for my mum..
I believe is best to use natural source from food and plants to receive what you need......
It is ok to add some supplements but as much as you can , why not to add some natural source.....

As for the calcium add some yogurt daily at your diet.........it is a good natural source of calcium.
one cup of yoguart gives you minimum 350 mg of calcium!!
tasoula_s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoula_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 1:58am
Donna, did your doctor told you when is best to take your calcium with vitamin d3?It is ok to take them together and when is best?(lunch or dinner?)
My mum is having at lunch her Vitamin D3,Calcium and 1 Curcumin supplement which started it now, at dinner calcium and vitamin d3 and with breakfast omega 3.
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 5:31pm
Hi Ladies:

Just thought I would let you know that I had my bloodwork done last week.  The previous level of VitD3 was 60 and optimal is 75.  Thinking that my levels would be great this time around, boy was I wrong! My level is down to 23????? WTH???

I must be doing something wrong?  Taking 3,000 iu per day? Upped from 2,000 iu per day. Not sure what to be doing now?  Any suggestions?   Guess that is why I ended up with pneumonia this week....hugs, h.
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
BamaRachel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaRachel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 5:46pm
I've been taking 5000 units daily, and mine dropped from 46 to 37.  Argghh. 
DX 7/5/11, TN Invas; Lump w/clear marg., 7/21/11; Stage 2A. Grade 3, 2.6 c; 0/6 nodes; TX 8/22/11 4DD E/C; 4Taxotere; Chemo ended 1/3/12; 33 Radiation Treatments, ended 3/15/12.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 5:57pm
Ouch, we don't want the levels to be going in the wrong direction.  Helen, yours really dropped from your last test.  Are you taking it with Calcium and Magnesium?  I take about 6.5k of Vit D3 a day (multivitamin, calcium/Vit D3 (citracal) and 5k ius of D3).  Maybe the winter months with no sunshine magnifies the problem.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/about-vitamin-d/

In order to receive the most health benefit from increased levels of vitamin D, the proper cofactors must be present in the body. Vitamin D has many cofactors, but the ones listed below are the most important. Magnesium should be considered the most important one of all.

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 7:50pm
Hey girls,
This is frightening.
The last mine was checked, about 2 years ago it was 50 something. Last year Medicare would not pay for the test, but I could get it if I paid approx. $230 dollars. I opted to keep taking my 4k of Vit D3 daily and 'hope'.....

Donna, Please tell me exactly what vitamins you take and the amount of Vit. D3. I feel as though I don't have the equation correct.

Thanks,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 8:04pm
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
You can order a self in-home test for about $65.  I used this test the first time as I didn't want to wait until I saw my onc.  4 tests cost $220 - this is what I ordered so my husband and sons could test too.  You just prick your finger and put some blood on the test paper and mail it in.  You get your test results in about 2 weeks.  It was very easy to do.

Here's the link:

Lillie,

I take a 
Multivitamin (Centrum 50+) has 500 iu of Vit D.
Citracal 2x day (Vit D 500 iu, Calcium 630 mg/each tablet) = 1,000 Vit D/Day
Vit D3 5,000 IU
Baby Aspirin 81 mg
Fish Oil 2x day
Vit B Complex
CoQ-10 100 mg
Turmeric Extract (1160 mg/serving, plus 5mg black pepper extract) 2 to 3x day

When I was going through radiation last year I probably increased the total Vit D intake by an additional 2k.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Feb 20 2012 at 8:05pm

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 8:25pm
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

Donna, I had heard you talk about this home test earlier, but figured I could get it checked by the Dr. Ha..Ha..

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 8:43pm
Hi, Everyone,
When I learned about Vit D from this forum, I checked with my primary care doctor when I had my yearly physical.  She said Vit D testing had been part of my regular bloodwork at every physical--you know, at the same time they check your cholesterol and sugar, etc.  I was never aware of any additional charge for it.  Halfway through chemo, my Vit D level was 32.  After chemo, I began taking a multivitamin (1000 IU of Vit D), a calcium tablet (400 IU of Vit D), and one D3 (2000 IU).  After one year, my level was up to 69.  But, again, I do all this with my PCP.  When I brought it up with my oncologist, his response was, "That's nice."  He feels the research on Vit D is still inconclusive, but doesn't object to my taking extra.  I can't believe places charge so much for Vit D testing.
Best to all,
Charlene

Edited by Charlene - Feb 20 2012 at 8:45pm
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 6:36pm

44 percent of postmenopausal women with distal radius fracture have low levels of vitamin D

NewsRx.com

02-16-12

SAN FRANCISCO - Wrist fractures, also called distal radius fractures (DRF), are among the most common osteoporosis-related fractures occurring on average 15 years earlier than hip fractures. As vitamin D deficiency has recently been linked with muscle weakness, increased fall risks, and bone fractures, investigators sought to determine the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among post menopausal women with DRF. The study, "Hypovitaminosis D in Postmenopausal Women with a Distal Radius Fracture," was presented today at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) (see also Menopause).

Medical records of 104 post menopausal women treated for a DRF, and 107 age-matched control patients with soft tissue disease, were reviewed. Mean vitamin D levels were "significantly" lower in the DRF group of patients. Specifically, 26 percent of the DRF patients were vitamin D insufficient (having vitamin D serum levels between 20 and 32 ng/ml), and 18 percent, deficient (serum levels below 20 ng/ml), compared to 11 percent and 2 percent of patients being vitamin D insufficient and deficient, respectively, in the control group.

Further research may determine whether vitamin D supplementation (or, maintaining adequate vitamin D levels) can help prevent distal radius fractures, or prevent future fractures in patients that experience their first distal radius fracture.

Keywords: Genetics, Women's Health.

This article was prepared by Women's Health Law Weekly editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2012, Women's Health Law Weekly via NewsRx.com.

To see more of the NewsRx.com, or to subscribe, go to http://www.newsrx.com .

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 7:59pm
Hi Charlene,
The first 2 times my Vit D was checked, I was covered by a medical policy provided through my work. No Problem....

The last time I asked for the Vit D to be checked I had gone on Medicare/w BC & BS Supplement. I was told that Medicare does not cover the Vitamin D test. It would cost me approx. $230 out of pocket.

The older you get, the less coverage you have.....

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 8:03pm
Lillie,

Will BCBS supplement cover the test?  It doesn't seem right to have extra insurance but no coverage.  I guess that's the way things are in the US.

Donna

Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 8:17pm
Lillie,
I think that is ridiculous!  $230 for an extra bit of information from a blood draw sounds like highway robbery to me!  My insurance is also BCBS, but I guess there are many different plans, etc.  At a recent follow-up visit, I asked my PCP about a C-reactive protein test.  I don't know why, but I asked if it was expensive.  She answered that they're all expensive these days.  I ended up skipping it, but will probably ask my oncologist about it in April. 
Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 8:29pm
Hi Donna and Charlene,

"MEDICARE" is the culprit. Medicare is primary. If Medicare doesn't cover something, that lets the supplementary BCBS 'off the hook'.... Stay young girls, or at least I hope your jobs will offer you the benefit of medical insurance for life.

Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 10:57am
I'm curious if anyone has checked the new Health Care Reform Affordable Act Bill to see if the D is now part of the free maintenance tests that it is initiating. If not, it would seem we should add it to the request form that the WH provides for input!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>
  Share Topic