Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dot L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dot L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treatment
    Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 9:29am
I have recently been diagnosed with stage 1 score 9 grade  3 triple negative breast cancer.  Have had mastectomy and now must decide if
I should have chemo.  Was told I have a 20% chance the cancer will
return and that having chemo will reduce that by 5 to 7%.  I wonder
if anyone feels the risk of chemo out weighs the decrease in the
cancer returning.
I am older so also have taken that into consideration.
dmayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 9:49am
Hi Dot,

I am 41 - had a lumpectomy in Mar 09.  I was stage 2 tumour though.  I have just finsihed my 4 doses of T/C.  My onc told me that after surgery there was a 51% chance of the "5 year survival" we all here about.  With chemo that would go up to 88% (for me anyway) - for me it was an easy choice!  Rads are then to add about another 4% to that.  Funny how they all put the data to us differently hey!.

I have had 4 doses (most seem to get 6 - again, not sure why the difference) - but I must say it has been very doable.  The hints and tips here sure helped me get through it - and now I just have three weeks to wear out this last dose and I am done with that part. 

As a tri-neg - I thought we were much higher for recurrence than 20%, but maybe the age if part of the difference here.

Good luck with your decision - ask lots of questions from the ladies here - many different answers will come your way!

Cheers Debs
Debs | Laugh every day, Love every minute.
Dx Mar09 - LB IDC 4.5cm - 0 nodes. BRCA -
Cytoxin/Taxotere x4 end Jul09.
ReCon surgery March10.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 11:43am
Hello Dot L.

I am also new to this site but my diagnosis, surgery and treatments were in 2006.

I had ductal carcinoma, triple negative, 1 lymph node involved, stage IIb, grade c. My choice was to have a mastectomy, without reconstruction. I was 65 at the time of diagnosis.   

I did not hesitate about the chemo because I wanted to do all I could to increase my chances of survival. I was a candidate for a clinical trial and decided to participate in that. I really didn't play the percentage angle. I just wanted to do all I could do for me. If you are worried about the age factor, ask your dr., oncologist about it. Do you have other health problems to factor in?

I had chemo and went back to full time work at age 66. I worked two more years and just recently retired at age 68. I felt I was doing all that I could do to combat the disease. I was told "all you have is chemotherapy". At the time I didn't understand exactly what that meant, but now I do. On July 9, 2009 I was told there is no evidence of cancer in my system.

Also, I wonder if you and I are in close proximity to each other? You will see that I live in the Sims, NC area.

Good luck with your decision.

Lillie..
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
caro36 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 12:00pm
Hi Dot,

I had a very small tumor (6mm) and decided, against the advice of my own doctors, to do chemo. I totally understand your dilemma. I took the risk of chemo. Chemo improved my statistics with only 4%. For me, my kids (6 and 4) were very important in my decision making process. I just wanted to have done everything possible for them. 

I'll tell you the truth. Chemo was very though for me. I have seriously considered to stop. But it's amazing how my body has recovered! I had my last round on april 1st and now I can do everything again!

Good luck with you decision!

Hugs,
Caroline

lumpectomy 9/2/08 6mm TN tumor
38 rads, 13 boost
6xTAC finished 04/10. BRCA1+ bill. mastectomy, imm. reconstruction using tissue exp 01/10
Dot L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dot L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 3:20pm
Thanks for sharing your experience.  This is a tough decision for
me to make on my own.  I am 74 , in good health but am not sure
I want to go through chemo.

I live in the southeastern part of the state, near the ocean.

So glad you have had such good results and I wish you
continued good health.

Dot
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 4:45pm
Hello again Dot

You didn't say if you have any lymph node involvement. Being a stage I means you probably did not. I had cancer in 1 node, so that made my decision in favor of chemo easier to make. I can see what a difficult decision it is for you.

We do live further apart than I originally thought, but only a couple of hours.

May God grant you "peace in your heart and mind" with whatever decision you make concerning the chemo.

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
Weaver1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weaver1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 7:45pm
Hello,
  I, too was diagnosed w'triple-negative breast cancer-grade3-no nodes involved, and underwent a mastectomy. My dilemma was to determine whether to go with the main stream approach of Cytoxin and Taxatare or
the more aggressive adding Andramyacin to the mix. At age 71 years, but in good health otherwise-I not only decided against breast reconstruction but also to just go with CT. I am in the 2nd week of my first chemo treatment and have weathered some of the side effects. Meds are keeping the nausea at bay and Neupogen is re-building my white blood cells.
   It is an important decision for you to make but I feel we must "fight the fight" and test our own mettle. If you have any other ?'s or just want to chat-I am here for you.
  Fran
  Sheboygan, Wi.
Dot L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dot L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 5:50am
Hi Fran,
Thanks for your input.  Cytoxin and Taxatere  are the drugs
my oncologist recommended, four treatments, every three
weeks.  Did the onc by chance tell you the percentage the
chemo added to the cancer not returning?  Mine said from 5 to 7%.

Best of luck to you.

Dot   
Weaver1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weaver1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 7:00pm
Dear Dot,
   I believe my Onc said 4-5%. don't know if this will help as dosages could be different but I have experienced "tummy problems", a hive-like rash they tell me mostly from the Taxatare plus the CT. A short-term dosage of Prednisone
is helping, plus after 5 Neupogen injections on a regular basis my white blood cells are giving me a much needed boost-in spite of the bone pain that has just started around my hips. Now, I await losing my hair and have connected with a good website for a scarf hat-very soft and will be easy to wear-no wigs for me! My first chemo was on July 7th and my 2nd will be on July 28th. I felt overwhelmed at first but am appreciating the support that
is given by so many and much appreciated. Am wordy tonight, but hope that
some of this helps you along.  Fran
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 6:31pm
I think you should do the chemo, triple negative is agressive.... you have to do what is best for you.....just my thoughts.
God be with you as you decide.. I say fight it..
Vickyann
Dx Christmas/07
Stage2 Grade 3
no nodule braca neg
lung nodule no growth
TAC x 6 no rad
finished chemo June 08 reconstruction 12/09
HolliBeri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolliBeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 12:31pm
I was told that ALL Triple-Negative BC have to have chemo regardless of node status. Due to it's aggressive nature it can sneak in to other places even if it has not set up in the Lymph nodes yet.

Best wishes!

My Battle – My Victory

Yesterday I fought a Battle, But I did not fight alone-

I had a Protector – A Guide, I was never on my own

This enemy came to me suddenly, No warning as to prepare-

And before I knew what happened, this enemy was everywhere.

I felt so overwhelmed; Did no one know my pain?

How could this be happening to me, How did it know my name?

Today I fight this battle, The enemy with me still

It has not yet taken control, Nor has it broke my will

It is hurtful and it is cruel, It doesn’t care the damage it causes

It is wearing down my defenses; I can soon count my losses.

It is ruthless and emotionless, Its purpose to destroy

I can not, must not let it, Will not let it have control

Hear me when I tell you, Please listen when I say

I have many scars from this battle; I do struggle from day to day

It takes many things from me; Within my body it has much power

It affects loved ones around me; The battle has become a war

You may not know by looking at me, Then again maybe you can,

That this enemy shows no mercy, I fall when I can no longer stand

It does not care what age you are, or your status here on Earth

It doesn’t count your income, or what you think you are worth

This battle that I speak of, Cancer is its name

And because I continue to fight, I will never be the same!

Tomorrow may never come for me; I live only in the present

My life is right here, right now, What I have is this very moment

But I will continue to fight, For I learned down on my knees

is where I fight this battle, It is where God gives me the victory.

DX age 45:12/08 IDC & DCIS TNBC. 2/09:lumpectomy, 2 cm, grade 3, -nodes, stage IIa, BRCA- Chemo:Taxotere/Cytoxan x4.Double mastectomy 6/09. Zometa   http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hollisimpsongough
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 12:34pm

Perfect poem. Thank you for sharing with us...It touched my heart and home at the same time..

xo
Vickyann
Dx Christmas/07
Stage2 Grade 3
no nodule braca neg
lung nodule no growth
TAC x 6 no rad
finished chemo June 08 reconstruction 12/09
Weaver1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weaver1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 6:49pm
We need all of the support we can receive from one another,I am learning.
It is an aggressive form and we must stay vigilant....Weaver
Dot L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dot L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2009 at 4:58am
Thank you, Holli, for the advice and for the touching poem.  It so
expresses where we are and where I was with my husband who
was diagnosed with colon cancer in July of "07.  He lived only 8
weeks.
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2009 at 1:21pm
HolliBeri,

In your stats you do not mention rads...did you have a lumpectomy with no rads ??

Thank you for sharing the poem. It is very touching.
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic