Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treatment for small TN IDC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treatment for small TN IDC?
    Posted: Oct 05 2017 at 12:30pm
Never thought I would be posting to a breast cancer site, yet here I am. I have a question, but I think I should provide my "cancer history" first.
1997  Melanoma in situ  treatment: surgery
2002   Metastatic Ovarian Cancer treatment: Surgical debulking, IP & IV chemo/clinical trial (cisplatin, paclitaxel,doxil)
2013   Recurrence Metastatic Ovarian Cancer treatment: Carboplatin and doxil (in remission since treatment)
2015   Squamous cell carcinoma treatment: Mohs surgery (50 stitches stop tanning gals!)
Current: MRI breast showed 4.8 cm DCIS  (biopsy agreed) and ER/PR negative  treatment: elected double mastectomy,
Pathology proved it was a DCIS however!! also found was a very small TN IDC 2mm  yes, 2mm (not 2cm)
Sooooo, I can't find any info anywhere regarding treatment for such a small TN IDC cancer. is surgical excision the only treatment needed? Yes, I'll be talking to my wonderful oncologist very soon but wanted some info and experience prior to my visit with her.
BTW:  I do not have ANY cancer genes! (BRAC 1&2 done 15 yrs ago and Extensive testing has been done this time)
DCIS DX 09/2017
Double mastectomy-new dx IDC TNBC Grade3 dx 10/2017(no node inv)
Prior: metastatic Ovarian 2002, recurrence 2013
squamous cell carcinoma 2015
melanoma in situ 1997
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2017 at 4:26pm
You have been through lots of surgeries, including a dbl mastectomy, you said:

"Pathology proved it was a DCIS however!! also found was a very small TN IDC 2mm  yes, 2mm (not 2cm)
Sooooo, I can't find any info anywhere regarding treatment for such a small TN IDC cancer. is surgical excision the only treatment needed?"

A 2mm (two millimeter) IDC is tiny, my first reaction (not doctor advice ) is that radiation might take care of that
If you have insurance, perhaps a "second opinion" is covered?  

My wife didn't have the BRCA mutation either.

Most cancer reoccurance after surgery occurs along the suture margin, so if you have radiation, hopefully that will take care... It has, so far, with my wife. Hope this helps

Edited by gordon15 - Oct 06 2017 at 4:29am
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
sjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 1:57am
Thank you Gordon 15. 
Tonight I realize I posted yesterday in a moment of  fear of having to go through a super toxic chemo regimen again. I certainly was not articulate!!
The bottom line was that I was wondering if there's anyone who has had such a teeny TN IDC and if so, what was the treatment. 
 I elected the double mastectomy based on my cancer history and the DCIS - I am simply hoping that will take care of it. 
I was not looking for advice, just curious and attempting to connect.  
DCIS DX 09/2017
Double mastectomy-new dx IDC TNBC Grade3 dx 10/2017(no node inv)
Prior: metastatic Ovarian 2002, recurrence 2013
squamous cell carcinoma 2015
melanoma in situ 1997
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 1:00pm
sjd,

You have been through so much!  I'm impressed that you have been in remission for metastatic ovarian cancer.  Wonderful news!  My best friend has been battling ovarian/peritonneal metastatic cancer for 7 years.

Here are some links to the NCCN Guidelines.  With such a small piece being IDC, it doesn't appear chemo will be recommended.  Since you had a double mastectomy and I'm assuming clear margins and clear sentinel nodes, you probably won't need radiation either.  Please keep us posted on what your oncologist recommends.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic