FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heart attack 2years post chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Belinda Osorio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belinda Osorio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heart attack 2years post chemo
    Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 11:07am
two years past my treatment which ended in 2012 I was diagnosed with a heart murmur I've never had one during my treatment none was ever detected. I was told it was nothing to worry about a lot of people live with heart murmurs well I just had open heart surgery September 19th 2018 I couldn't catch my breath walking even a few feet became impossible my question is are there any funds available for people who had the breast cancer treatment adriamycin cytoxan to treat their breast cancer triple-negative, but then have since had to have major heart surgery and the insurance does not cover it all thank you for any information God bless you all
Peggy5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2019 at 10:28pm
Donna,
Thanks for all the links!  I have chatted with my oncologist and she was a bit exasperated with the EKG results...she said that the EKG isn't always reliable and recommended a cardiologist she trusts.  I trust her, so will wait to see what the heart guy has to say....

Peggy
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2019 at 7:46pm
Peggy,

I'm so sorry you were diagnosed with a heart attack.  Yes, there are several factors that can increase the risk, chemo and radiation. 

Breast cancer treatments may increase the risk of heart disease

Can chemotherapy increase the risk of heart problems?

Heart Problems

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Peggy5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2019 at 11:58pm
Hi all,
I have a question about heart damage post chemo.  It's been 2+ years since I completed chemo and almost 2 years since radiation.  I had a routine ECG for a refill of meds I take for sarcoidosis.  It  revealed that I have had a heart attack.  They couldn't pinpoint exactly when the attack occurred, but I have had previous ECGs and they've been unremarkable.  Other than being overweight, I have no history, etc that would make a heart attack something to be expected.
I'm assuming that it is because of the adriamycin and radiation over my heart.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I will be calling my oncologist tomorrow, but I need to select a cardiologist.  Is a chemo-cardiologist something I should be looking for exclusively or simply a highly recommended cardiologist?  
I think I'm a bit more freaked by this than by dealing with all the previous stuff dealing with the cancer.....
Peggy
diagnosed 7/16 with very early stage TNBC
AC x 4, then T x 14, followed by radiation x 4 weeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic