Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stage 1 Metastasis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stage 1 Metastasis
    Posted: May 23 2014 at 1:03pm
Hi,  I am new to the site although I have been reading several posts for a while now.  I am 39 years old, DX in 6/13, TNBC Stage 1, Grade 3, -LN, BRCA-, Lumpectomy 6/13 (didn't get all the cancer), Chemo 7/13-11/4 (Taxotere, Adriamycin, Cytoxin),BMX 12/13, RC 3/14.  I recently felt "blah" sluggish in April and when I got my labs back, the only problem was my calcium levels being at a 10.5.  They also did a brain scan, as I was having sever eye pain and headaches, which came back clear.  My follow up lab work proved to be normal.  A couple of weeks ago, I notice that  a lymph node (nodes) on the left side (cancer was on right breast) of my neck, just under my chin, seemed to be a bit inflamed ( i wouldn't call it "swollen").  It has not gone down any, and seems to be tender.  I have not had a cold, nor are my allergies giving me any issues.  I do not want to overreact and go to the dr. for every little problem.  I did call and ask my oncology nurse should I come in and she told me that if it was bothersome I should see my GP....I have an appointment for a physical in two weeks with my GYN as I had an abnormal pap just after chemo (i hear that's normal tho) and thought I would just wait to see if she could check it out and move on from there.  I guess I am wondering, is it too soon (6 months post chemo) for a stage 1, negative nodes, to have a recurrence, especially in the neck lymph nodes opposite side of cancer?  Oh, i am also having SOME shoulder and back pain as well as left side rib pain (could be due to surgery though i haven't had any issues with that until this point).   I was so healthy before all this!! Active mother of 4, coach, healthy eater.  On a side note, father passed of melanoma brain mets at age 70 and brother passed of pancreatic cancer age 49.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 2:03pm
Hi Brownie,
I am so sorry you have been thought the surgery, treatments and radiation and now find yourself in a place of such anxiety. I'm thinking the pain could be from the surgery and then stress added to it makes a bad combination. There are many reasons for swollen glands under the chin. Are you having any teeth or gum problems? I'm not sure if thyroid problems would present with tender glands under the chin, but I do know that it can make you very sluggish. Have they tested the thyroid?
If I were you, I would do whatever makes you feel better. I will say that after cancer treatments ends, the anxiety kicks in really hard at any symptoms we have. Get it checked out and be sure you feel comfortable with all the tests. Please keep us informed. WE UNDERSTAND.

Love and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 2:17pm
Thanks Lillie!

I do not have any teeth or gum issues.  Perfect report from the dentist in February...I only received chemo and surgery, no rads.  I am thinking since it isn't "huge", I will just wait until my physical and see what that doc suggest...I'm not too anxious about it, just curious.  I think if I wasn't scheduled to see a doc in a couple of weeks I would be stressed out.

Thanks so much for replying.
Brownie

DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
St I, Gr3, 1/5cm BRCA-
Lumpectomy 6/13 (cancer cells still left behind)
Chemo 7/13-11/13 (TAC)
No Rads
BMX 12/13 Recon 3/13
Next scan 7/14
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 8:54pm
Dear Brownie,
I'm glad you already had the appointment scheduled with the doctor. I can understand how that would make it easier to wait, knowing you will get seen soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
Adnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 4:29pm
Hi Brownie,

The back and rib issue may be due to your radiation and reconstruction.  You may be having capsular contracture.  Of course I am not a doctor, just someone who has had the same problem!

Hopefully all your issues at the moment will resolve and hat your fears of recurrence/metastasis are put to rest!!!

Hugs,
Brenda
'05 Stg1 TNBC Lump, SNB, A/C, 33 rads
'09 Stg2 ER-, PR+, Her2-, Bil.Mast., T/C, Arimidex.
'13 Stg4 Lung mets, ER+, PR-, Her2-, Carbo/Gemzar, Letrozole.
'14 Abraxane in July
'15 Abraxane in March
Adnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 4:33pm
Oh, sorry I did not see that.  No radiation, good for you because reconstruction on radiated skin is problematic at best!

'05 Stg1 TNBC Lump, SNB, A/C, 33 rads
'09 Stg2 ER-, PR+, Her2-, Bil.Mast., T/C, Arimidex.
'13 Stg4 Lung mets, ER+, PR-, Her2-, Carbo/Gemzar, Letrozole.
'14 Abraxane in July
'15 Abraxane in March
btstark2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote btstark2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2014 at 4:19pm
Brownie,

If I were in your shoes (and I have been multiple times) I would go either either my medical oncologist or surgeon to have it checked out.  TNBC can metastasize to lymph nodes in the neck.  There are lots of other possible explanations, and hopefully one of them is correct, but you are not being paranoid if you go to see your oncologist about this.  

I had LN/chest wall mets occur below the collar bone  on the same side as the original TNBC.  And then after chemo and surgery, another LN met above the collar bone popped up a month after my surgery.  Hopefully since your symptoms are on the opposite side, its not mets!   All of my recurrences have happened within 1 year of completing treatment for the previous occurrence. But the good news is that I am living well with TNBC, 6 years after original diagnosis, and nearly 3 years after metastases.  Mets are not fun but also not  a death sentence!

I know how weird it feels to be a person with health issues after having been completely healthy for your first 40 or so years.  I was very healthy and tried to take good care of myself, had no family history of cancer, and was diagnosed at age 44.  But try to continue to think of yourself as healthy and you might want to remove all the toxins that you can from your food and water and living environment if you haven't already.  (See the book "Clean" by Junger for lots of info on this if you need some)

I am healthy except for these pesky mets.  Please be vigilant about having any symptoms checked out that could be a cancer recurrence - don't wait very long after you notice something.   

Let us know when you get the all clear!

Beth

2008 Stg1 TNBC, LX, FEC+T, rads
2010 2.5cm tumor BRCA-, BMX,CMF
2011 LN mets, Gem/Carbo, surgery, rads
2012 lung mets, PI3Ki/taxo
2013 anti-PD-1
2014/15 Xeloda, IMMU-132, eribulin
Aug 2015 Keytruda
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 6:29pm
Thank you so much, Beth. I have had so many people think I'm overreacting, but I'm just being cautious. I went to an ENT last Friday. She said she thought it was vascular, but was going to schedule an ultrasound to be sure. I haven't heard anything else and the ultrasound hasn't been scheduled......I have a physical this Friday and will get that doctor's opinion......I am not as uneasy about it now, but it is still bothersome at times. Hoping to get a more concrete answer soon!
rubylindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubylindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:57am
Hello all ... hope this is not a silly question but reading posts and gathering info....it seems that we all have the possiblity of have reccurances grow EVEN during chemo or radiation?  I was sorta hoping that during chemo it was killing and preventing something from growing (recurrence).  Here in Spain the doctor is only planning to test my cancer markers 4 times / year and one scan per year.  Other than that... I guess it is up to us to be mindful of symptoms?   
Brownie... I am just glad you are listening to your body and get the checkups needed.  I would be worried a little too so ... push for your best care always!!  Second opinions never hurt!  Wishing you the very best and know I am  Thinking of you!!  
BRCA1+, Bilat oopherectomy @ 46.
now 52 Dx: CDI, BilatMastect 3/1/14 1.5cm w/ 3mm met SLN, Nottingham8/9, IIA, Chemo: Genoxal, Fluoracilo, Epirrubicina, TAXOLx8 start 6/25; rad. 6wks, Expanders
JenniferBentley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 8:06pm
Hi Brownie, I personally do not feel you are over reacting. I can relate to this post. I too had stage 1 and grade 3 BC. I completed all my treatment last April 2013 and all my bloodwork has been coming back normal, but I too have had a swollen lymphnode in my neck, opposite side of my surgery site. My surgeon decided to have it biopsied. It came back negative of cancer but showed inflamation. I let the issue go and just dealing with it, but now I have very painful right abdomen side pain that is constant. I told my doctors but they thought it could be some side effects from the surgeries. However, now I found a few lumps where that pain is. The lumps are new and feel like hard nodules. I called my surgeons office and made an appointment to have them looked at. I go in on 6/20. I don't know what it is, but definitely cause for concern. I can understand your concerns and feel it is best to be cautious. I think it is best to stay on top of issues like this and not to be taken lightly.
Stage 1,grade 3, brca-, no nodes,reconstruction,Tumor removal 12/12, 4 rounds of chemo.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 8:57am
Dear Jennifer,

It could be that you have some kind of infection in other lymph nodes in the abdomen area. Maybe it is related to the lymph node in your neck. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds as though the infection in your neck should have been treated with antibiotics. I will be praying that it has nothing to do with cancer. I pray you can get the problem resolved with medicine.

Love and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
JenniferBentley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 9:55pm
Thanks Lillie. I have been on antibiotics a few times and recently had a root canal. I thought for sure the root canal was the cause of my swollen lymphnode in my neck but it has been 4 weeks and the node has not gone down. I do have lupus too, so could be issues with that, but the side nodules are brand new. It feels like there are 3 or 4 in there. 
Stage 1,grade 3, brca-, no nodes,reconstruction,Tumor removal 12/12, 4 rounds of chemo.
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 2:27pm
Thanks, Jennifer.  I will be thinking of you on the 20th and lifting up prayers....My ultrasound came back as vascualar.  They said with me being thin, my glands will seem larger, even though the one on the left side is predominantly larger than the one on my right side....In other news....I just received a call that my second papsmear came back with some more inflammation and now i have to have a colopscopy. I am now nervous....I don't know the risks of cervical cancer after breast cancer, but it seems i am nervouse with every test, no matter what the test....I go tomorrow, but doubt I get my results in a timely fashion as my doctor will be going on vacation for two weeks...Just praying it's a false negative...It's a fear I will live with with every ache and pain for the rest of my life i guess. 

Well wishes to all!
Brownie
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
Lumpectomy 6/13 (cancer cells left behind)
Chemo 7/13-11/13 (TAC) No rads
BMX 12/13 Reconstruction 3/13
NED since 6/13

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 4:18pm
Dear Brownie,
When I was in my early 30's I had a couple of questionable papsmears come back. It turned out that the infection I had in a couple of teeth had caused the bad papsmears. I had some extensive dental work done and everything cleared up. "Go Figure" Teeth....Cervix... Infections in one place can affect other areas of the body.

Good luck with all your testing. I'm praying "all clear".. Those aches and pains really set us off after having cancer.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 7:21am
Well, I went back for a colposcopy. Had to take a pregnancy test (go figure, I have four kids and my tubes have been tied for almost nine years...). it was negative, lol. The doctor said with her make eye she was 100% sure it was just inflammation due to the chemo throwing me into early menopause, but will confirm it with the path results when they come in. Thank goodness!
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 7:22am
Well, I went back for a colposcopy. Had to take a pregnancy test (go figure, I have four kids and my tubes have been tied for almost nine years...). it was negative, lol. The doctor said with her make eye she was 100% sure it was just inflammation due to the chemo throwing me into early menopause, but will confirm it with the path results when they come in. Thank goodness!

Thinking and praying for you today, Jennifer.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic