FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caregivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clarkjennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkjennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caregivers
    Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 4:17am
This is very informative article for those who are fighting with the cancer. It will obviously incerase the will power of the patients and they will have the wind in positive direction by this article. Treatment of chemotherapies makes a person negative regarding life as patient becomes very weak and hair lose also takes place. We can say that some patients goes into the direction of depression with this treatment but when this article will be read by them, they will becme positive towards life and hope will take place.
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 4:42pm

Hi Helen,    WOW, I love this article especially about the Caregivers. I think it should be handed out to every person who is diagnosed for their caregivers with the appropriate references that may be required if distress or help becomes necessary.

It is only after the fact for me that I can see some of the issues. Just when I thought treatment ended a great deal of lengthly side effects surfaced, causing even more stress for the caregiver not to mention myself but I now think caregivers sometimes have a worse time. I know that may not make sense but I now realize in my case it was the truth. I was trying to survive so I did not see as clearly, who could?

I also have recently read in a medical article which I cannot recall the name of...that over 30% of husbands of breast cancer patients need hospitalization or treatment for depression and this can take on dangerous degrees.

Unfortunately the one with the cancer and rightly so is receiving all the treatment, tests, concern, etc. etc., while the person closest to them may be falling apart and unable to verablize it.

As one Onc. said to me, we just do not know what is going on in someones head.   He was trying to make me feel better about my husband leaving. I do not think my husband could face his own mortality.

I do not think it is an excuse but I see more clearly now that some are not as well equipped emotionally, even though they may excel greatly in so many other areas of life...

I think Caregiver Support should be Bumped up several levels to the point of making it primary for them to enter some sort of program the hospitals could make available in regards to their fears, their coping mechanisms etc. and maybe having someone they could call or talk with on a regular basis...I think now some hospitals actually do this.

Going through the loss of a husband during this should not happen to anyone.

Any other members of the family would also benefit greatly from any type of program that could be offered...

I totally relied on my husband, family was very far away and two of my best friends were on sabbaticals, one in the U.S. and one in the Maritimes.

I feel badly that he had to bear the burden but I never cried, not that I did not want to...it would not come out...but the cancer diagnosis was obviously too much for him with whatever else he might have been dealing with.

If I can offer some advice. I think it would be good if husbands could get away for a week from time to time during treatment or afterwards if possible and have a friend help out instead during that time...This is just hindsight speaking on my part.

Take care all, Love, Annie

Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 9:59am
Here is link that may answer many questions on how & why we feel the way we do once the treatments are done.

Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic