FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Wine or Not to Wine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Wine or Not to Wine
    Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 2:01pm
Please help me settle an ongoing debate.  Is it OK to have a glass of wine during chemo?  I don't mean DURING the infusion, but a while later.  

My MO says not close to an infusion because your kidneys and liver are already working overtime - totally understand and agree.

Chemo nurses say NO, NEVER, until done with chemo.

And, I have heard everything in between.

I know there is a link between breast cancer and alcohol consumption, but I am talking about A GLASS - maybe a big glass.  I was by no means a frequent drinker, but I sure miss my occasional glass of Moscato!

Ann
Lucky22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 3:33pm
Ann, I am in no way an expert, but I say if you want a glass of wine, have it! My entire life I’ve been in shape, never smoked, vegetarian, drank in moderation- you get the picture - and I get breast cancer! I’m still floored by it.

I know some ladies get super healthy after diagnosis and I get it. But I’m of the school that indulgences are necessary in life and we must not give up all that we enjoy.
For me drinking was so unappealing during chemo, but a week after I had a couple martinis and it made me really happy!
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 6:36pm
Thanks! That is how I feel too!
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 11:37pm
I was personally petrified during the entire chemo process that I didn't have my beloved Merlot.  After it was over and I was headed into radiation, I allowed myself some wine.  I spoke with my oncologist after and he said "well, you could have had a glass if you wanted to, but didn't recommend it".  So, I still don't know what was "right".  I love wine, but did not indulge during the chemo process.

It will be over soon and you will be passed all this

Best, Penny
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 7:49am
Thanks Penny! Hope you are enjoying lots of Merlot now!

Ann
Tamara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 8:06am
My husband and I enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening however my oncologist said no wine during chemo so I did not have any, my other favorite beverage is coffee but once chemo started I had no desire to drink it. The flavored water I craved during chemo, I can no longer tolerate!
I think a glass of wine is enjoyable - cancer sucks the life out of us while fighting - one small glass of wine is ok, in my opinion. I was in great health prior to cancer diagnosis - it was a shock to be told that I had cancer. Enjoy the small things in life.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 9:36am
Thanks Tamara. I have chemo tomorrow so I am going to ask some more hard questions about this.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 11:00am
I chose not to drink at all either time I was in treatment, but no one told me to quit.  Are you drinking LOTS of water?  The first time I forced myself to drink 10-12 glasses a day.  It became a habit that I've kept up, I go no where without water - ever.  I switched to a Brita when I'm at home because drinking a case of water bottles a day is super wasteful - for the environment and $$$, but I keep bottles on hand if I'm leaving home in a hurry I grab one or two.  If you don't get a definitive answer on this, maybe add extra glasses of water on the days you have wine?
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic