Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To chemo or not chemo....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TerriD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerriD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To chemo or not chemo....
    Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 7:03pm
I am struggling with the decision whether to have chemo or not. Stage 1, 1cm, lumpectomy, not in lymphnodes and negative pathology report. I have met with both radiology and medical oncology and they feel I should have both but not sure. Had a friend that had radiation only after lumpectomy and she's 10 years clean and free. Having TNBC, I'm not sure what to do.
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 12:36am
I don't know what kind of breast cancer your friend had, but TNBC is different from other types of breast cancer. You really have to think of the different types as totally different diseases. TNBC is more aggressive than most other types, and I've heard it can spread through blood vessels as well as lymph nodes. Also, for others types of breast cancer there are targeted treatments like Herceptin and Tamoxifen. There is no targeted treatment for TNBC. Chemo regimens are based on years of study and resulting survival statistics and type of cancer is taken into account. Ask your doc to show you survival statistics for those with your profile w ho do and don't do the chemo regimen that is recommended for you. For my profile (TNBC, age 44, Stage I, no lymph node involvement, negative pathology report, in good health otherwise), the chance of metastasis without chemo was something like 22% and with chemo it was something like 12%. I wanted that extra 10% chance of a cure. I'm 9 years out now. I'll never know if chemo made the difference, but I have no regrets.

I can't speak to radiation. I had mastectomy (due to having a BRCA mutation), and there were clean margins between the tumor and my chest wall, so radiation would not have increased my chances of survival. So it was not recommended.

Take care and keep posting if you have questions or need support.
rstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 4:21am
Hi Terri,

There are chemo regimens like CMF and TC that do not include Adriamycin and its (small) potential heart damage. Keep in mind that these regimens are considered lighter than the standard AC-T and most likely are less effective, but better than having no chemo at all if that's the route u decide to take. I personally would go with the standard regimen because Triple Negative is not a disease to mess with.

Edited by rstar - Nov 10 2018 at 12:22pm
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 7:25pm
Get a second opinion before you do anything. It takes 7 years for breast cancer to show up, not to minimize that it is TNBC. You have a month to decide, based on a second or even third opinion.

Edited by gordon15 - Nov 10 2018 at 7:42pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic