Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBCDay 2016 fundraising - Event Date: Feb 03 2016 - Mar 31 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Melissa P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: TNBCDay 2016 fundraising
    Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 11:48pm
Thursday is Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) Awareness Day, and I'll be holding my annual online fundraising campaign for TNBC Foundation where 100% donation goes directly to TNBC research. Please consider a donation today to support my cause that I am very passionate about. Thank you Heart Melissa Paskvan

http://tnbcday2016.kintera.org/hope4moretomorrows

"Alone we can do so little, Together we can do so much more." - Helen Keller

Edited by Melissa P. - Mar 02 2016 at 11:58pm
"Hope for more Tomorrows"
TNBC dx August 2009, Age 41, Stage 2, 2cm, 0 nodes Lumpectomy/ACx4,Taxolx4/33rads
Triple Negative Breast Cancer, "I Won't Back Down!"
mlsspaskvan.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 1:18pm
My "A Different Shade of Pink" event

Edited by Melissa P. - Mar 06 2016 at 1:19pm
TNBC dx August 2009, Age 41, Stage 2, 2cm, 0 nodes Lumpectomy/ACx4,Taxolx4/33rads
mlsspaskvan.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 1:23pm

UT shines light on difficult to diagnose, aggressive type of breast cancer

By Christine Long : March 3rd, 2016

In honor of Triple Negative Breast Cancer Awareness Day, the Eleanor N. Dana Cancer Center will host an event called “A Different Shade of Pink” Thursday, March 3, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on The University of Toledo Health Science Campus.

“The nature of this disease cries out for more attention and research,” said Dr. Iman Mohamed, UT professor and chief of the Division of Hematology and Oncology. “We hope to educate and empower.”

tnbc_16x9An estimated 15 percent of all diagnosed breast cancers are triple negative breast cancer tumors. This type lacks the three receptors commonly targeted in chemotherapy — estrogen, progesterone and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2.

The disease is often hard to diagnose because it is common in younger women and not always detected in mammograms.

“The receptors known to fuel breast cancer simply aren’t present,” Mohamed said. “Compared to other types of breast cancer, triple negative breast cancers are usually more aggressive and not responsive to targeted therapeutic drugs. Patients have a higher risk of recurrence and a shorter survival rate.”

Topics for the “A Different Shade of Pink” program include medical updates related to treatment options and clinical trials, as well as emotional, intimacy and survivorship issues.

Paskvan

Paskvan

UTMC patient Melissa Paskvan of Toledo was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in 2009 and has been in remission for six years.

“I found a lump by accident while scratching an itch at the age of 41,” Paskvan said. “My heart sunk. I knew it was cancer, but I had no idea it would be this rare form.

“I went through a lumpectomy, nearly four months of chemotherapy, and 33 rounds of radiation,” she said. “At 48 years old, I am a survivor. I am happy and relieved to have made it past the three-year mark. I only hope my story offers hope to newly diagnosed patients.”

To learn more about Paskvan’s story and how she raises money for triple negative breast cancer research, read her blog at mlsspaskvan.blogspot.com.

http://utnews.utoledo.edu/index.php/03_03_2016/ut-shines-light-on-difficult-to-diagnose-aggressive-type-of-breast-cancerhttp://utnews.utoledo.edu/index.php/03_03_2016/ut-shines-light-on-difficult-to-diagnose-aggressive-type-of-breast-cancer

mlsspaskvan.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic