FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBC, Auto Immune and Bone Marrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Christianne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 6:35am
Is there any type of link between auto immune disorders (hashimoto syndrome) and triple negative BC?
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 4:12pm
The only research I've seen regarding autoimmune and any BC is autoimmune arthritis'.

Bone marrow results are in.........breast cancer located in marrow which is what we expected.  With the chemo 3 week holiday the TNBC was able to pull ahead and now, ONC believes we're finally catching up and taking over the areas of marrow w/tnbc- PLATELETS WERE UP AGAIN TODAY!!!!  Absolutely glad to not have an autoimmune- just something else to treat.

I had the taxol today.  BP was too high to have the Avastin- ONC increased Ace Inhibitor doseage.  BCRA results expected in 3 weeks.

Peace ladies- have a great weekend! Smile

Laurie
Dx Oct2008- IDC Gr 3/Stage 3C
Mastectomy 11/7/08- 6/21 nodes
Bone Mets dx Dec 2008-Stage 4
Albany, NY BRCA neg
MarilyninMiami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarilyninMiami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 5:59am
hi laurie,
i have had a bmb....i also had seen one done (as a rn) and i was imagining something terrible.  it was done in my onc office.  i insisted on having some versed and i was awake and chatted the entire time...for one sec i felt "pressure" that was it!
i have chronic neutropenia (wbc 2.5) and it is 3 yrs on feb 13 when i finished my dose dense chemo.
i worked myself up into a tizzy beforehand & it was really not much discomfort at all!
marilynCool
MARILYN from Miami
dx:6-05, trip neg, basoloid, gr 3, stage IIB, lumpectomy,SNB w total axillary node surg 3pos/34 dose dense ACT, 33 rads, BMB (neutropenia) NED!!
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 10:09am
Marilyn- I am so glad you shared your experience too.  More women need to know this procedure isn't to be feared when they know what to expect and how to prepare and get the best person to do it for them.

Its great to read about an NED!!  Keep trying getting those wbc counts up.  My wbc count has been great- no issues there.  The platelets came down from 200k to 12k in less than a months time.

Peace!  Laurie
Albany, NY BRCA neg
Barb-42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb-42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 6:17pm
hi Laurie,
I had to have a bone marrow biopsy in the middle of my chemo treatment's. I developed fever's for three week's that had raised up to 103.4 at times. I was very nervous and scared to have it done. I took ativan before I went for my apt. which was in my Onc. office.
I remember it like it was yesterday. I had to have it
done on both sides. When the PA asked me to roll over to the other side I thought to myself you have got to be kidding. I did experience more pain than I want to remember especially when they aspirated I felt the zing all the way down to my toes. The nurses and PA were great never the less. It ended up being negative for everything. I guess this was the better of two evils as the other one would have been a liver biopsy.
I don't think that I will be voulunteering any time soon for another one.
I am glad that your experience was better than mine was.
Take care,
Barb
dx-1/2/08 @ 42 yrs.old
lumpectomy w/close margins/ 1/14/08- no nodes/stage 1/gr.3
1.5 CM IDC
chemo-AC-3 Dose Dense
Taxol wkly 12- 2/21/08-7/17/08
Rads-33 w/8 boosts
8/6/08-9/22/08
BRCA 1/2 Neg.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2009 at 11:45am
Barb,
Why did they check your bone marrow?  Were you having pain, or was it some type of blood issue?
Best,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Barb-42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb-42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2009 at 2:55pm
Denise,
I had to have the bone marrow biopsy because I had been running the fever's for three week's which was delaying my chemo treatment. My oncologist and rare and infectious disease doctor wanted to make sure that I did not have a fungus of some sort (I guess that everyone has some in them that lays dormant till something wakes it up like an auto immune disease or chemo) which I have and was having at the time. I am a type 1 diabetic also. They also wanted to rule out TB even though the skin test was negative. I can not take antibiotic's so they did not want to just try a new one on me unless I definetly needed it. I was also having night sweats and severe leg pain (which was probably from the Taxol) I had just had one treatment. I actually had a very slight elevation in temp. the day of my first Taxol treatment.

Take Care,
Barb
dx-1/2/08 @ 42 yrs.old
lumpectomy w/close margins/ 1/14/08- no nodes/stage 1/gr.3
1.5 CM IDC
chemo-AC-3 Dose Dense
Taxol wkly 12- 2/21/08-7/17/08
Rads-33 w/8 boosts
8/6/08-9/22/08
BRCA 1/2 Neg.
sunbearz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunbearz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 4:24pm
 Laurie my situation is complicated.I was dignoses triple neg for 9 years and it switched to triple pos.Dont know if thats even true right now.I think Taxotere helped.As far as the others, didnt seem to make a difference.I think the zometa kept my bones strong . Ive been on Faslodex for 6 months.Its working.All of of sudden all my mets are slowly disappearing.Tumor marker is coming down.It makes me think sometimes with all the new Data, maybe hormones arent so Bad.Maybe women do need them.
I dont know Laurie.My platelets are normal now.Im having my hormone levels checked and will know tomorrow where I stand with everything.
 I bounced back where everything wasnt working.Ill be back to let you know. Light%20Bulb ThinkingJill 

Dx 1998 mast.Bone mets 2003
ac/xeloda,zometa,taxotere,,doxcil,rads to hip
triple neg brca-gemsar
Abraxine
2008 -gemsar/taxol combo
Taxotere ,Ixempra,liver, lung
Mets
Testosterone
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 4:31pm

Wow Jill.  I didn't know it was possible for a cancer marker/type to change midstream.  How bizarre!  I agree about the hormones and believe it warrants investigation.  My GYN told me years ago she was sure how long I'd be able to have children because it seems I was perimenopausal.  Of course I'm now in full chemo related menopause.  Hormones are all out of whack.

I'm so glad to read your mets are beginning to respond and the CBCs are up!  What great news.  I went in for another transfusion today- RBC only. Platelets and WBC counts are both climbing or normal.  Long day. I'm tired.

Hope the dr visit was positive Jill.

Peace. Laurie

Albany, NY BRCA neg
sunbearz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunbearz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 6:41pm
 Laurie, My chemo caused me to go into menopause.By asking for my hormone levels, I found Im still producing estrogen, not progesterone or testosterone.Makes a big difference.Instead of Chemo Ive been taking faslodex, which at least gave me a chance for 6 months to get my blood levels normal. Whats next ,I dont know untill next week.Just went through all the scans to see whats going on.
I really feel these hormone levels are important.
Ill let you know.
   Jill
Dx 1998 mast.Bone mets 2003
ac/xeloda,zometa,taxotere,,doxcil,rads to hip
triple neg brca-gemsar
Abraxine
2008 -gemsar/taxol combo
Taxotere ,Ixempra,liver, lung
Mets
Testosterone
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 7:33am
Seems like the faslodex helped...that's an anti-estrogen treatment correct?  Which would mean that yes, the hormone levels are very important!

Hope the scans are positive!
Albany, NY BRCA neg
The Scoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 3:26am

Here’s however what we do know in researching the researchers.  TNC expresses Nestin. It’s not an independent prognostic marker, but when combined with a mislocalization of E Cadherin (which localizes to the peripheral cytoplasm) , beta canten and p120(ctn)  it acts in an abnormal proliferation of Cdk-2. (Cyclin-dependent kinase 2 activation.  Nestin can be shown with IHC CD 31 as it  co-localized in ND-GFP expressing nascent blood vessels.

Look up Nestin on wikipedia or goolge it,  for a linking answer.  
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 2:14pm
And the BRCA results are in....drum roll- excitement- Negative results for brca1 and brca2 with no mutations found surrounding either in the 17000 plus areas looked at. 

What a weight lifted....happy that my daughter will not be burdened with that down the road and that my 35 yr old sister may also come down to stage green. She goes for her 1st mammo in April and will discuss the gene test at that time.

Still no avastin today but got the taxol and aredia however BP meds have been changed again to a beta blocker and I've also scheduled an appt w/cardiologist to see what else can be done to help w/the BP.

It was a good day.
Peace.  Laurie
Albany, NY BRCA neg
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 2:19pm
Lauriejn,

So happy to hear the good news.Clap Lori is negative also and not even a variance. Does take some of the pressure off doesn't it? I know that Lori was sobbing when she told me.

It was indeed a good day sweetie....a very good dayBig%20smile
Hugs,
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Feb 14 2009 at 8:03am
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2009 at 7:40am
Good morning The Scoop,

Yes we have discussed Nestin in the past, thank you for bringing that back up.  Seems like that was last year some time Nestin information was being posted online.  Will check into it.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2009 at 7:42am
Laurie, congratulations on no known mutation!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Lauriejn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauriejn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2009 at 4:14pm
I'm happy with the news!!
Albany, NY BRCA neg
sammielily View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammielily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2009 at 9:08pm
I was d/x w/ Hashimoto Thyroiditis when I was 21. (I already had RA arthritus and asthma...)

My immune system attacks my thyroid gland so I am hypothyroid.

Nothing to worry about- I just take sinthyroid tablet to replace the hormone every day or I feel tired and cold.

Apparently cancer patients are 600% x more likely to have thyroid disorders than the general population. (According to Dr. Patrick Quilan)

Maybe because our immune system is tilting off-kilter and zapping everything instead of the enemy we are getting cancer... 
Confused
Love and light sent your way!
sammielilly 

Sammie
D/X 05/08 TNBC IDC,Seg Masc.06/08 2.6cm,micro focus intermam.node.Stage 2b,Grade 3,no-lymph nodes,vasc,musc.Bone scan clear,FEC+Tax,16x4rads. Done being a crispy critter!Got hair,going blond!
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2009 at 1:14pm
Sammielilly,

Could you be a little more specific for this thick head of mine.  So we are more at risk for thyroid disorders than the general population when we get cancer of after?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2009 at 1:22pm
Pam,

Know what? I just read an article about thyroid disorders either last night or the day before. Probably will not be able to find it again. If my thick head can remember...I will post it.
Nancy

Ok...this is not the one, but it is quite apparent that chemo affects the thyroid, and now the question....how many of you....and my Lori have had their thyroid checked? This dates to 2003.

hidden on a page in Google...but not sure how reliable?

Edited by Nancy - Feb 16 2009 at 3:53pm
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic