Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TN or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crabbiepattie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabbiepattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TN or not?
    Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 1:01pm
What an amazing site!  Thanks to everyone involved and especially on the forums.

After a bad finding on my screening mammogram (including a suspicious lymph node), I had a core needle biopsy that confirmed cancer (2.9 cm grade II) and metastasis to the lymph node. I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy with lymph node sampling on the 25th.

I just got the biopsy path results on the 18th at my pre-op appointment:  ER- (0%), PR+ (5%) and HER2-.  My surgeon dismissed the 5% and told me my cancer is triple-negative. I haven't consulted with a medical oncologist yet. What do you all think - is it triple-negative or not?
Serenitity View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenitity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 3:29pm
Hi Crabbiepattie

Thats really cute, your name I mean. As for your quiry, that I can't help you with. If they say neg I would accept that.

I had mine lump. as an outpatient, axillary disection with positive sentinel node out of 6 taken out.
 I will tell you one thing very important for after lumpectomy....wear a bra!!!!  Thru out the day and a  sleep bra too. I wore the surgical bra day and night and then after 2 weeks I said ok I now can sleep with out and some days I didn't put it on and I got fluid build up and needed 2 needle aspirations and got it infected so antibiotics was the order of the day. A hassle cause then I could not get started on chemo right away.

Good luck, you'll do fine. Keep posting......
Hugs,
Karen

aka Happy Go Lucky
member since April 22, 2009
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 3:44pm
Hi, Pattie.  We're all crabby with this f***ng cancer. :)
I'd say you are basically triple-negative, but since your PR tested weakly positive, that probably makes you somewhat lower risk than the rest of us, and you should probably take tamoxifen after your chemo.  You are weakly-hormone positive, if you want a label.   The only thing this changes is that you can take a hormone blocker after chemo and will probably (but not definitely) benefit from it.   If you want to make sure that you really need chemo, you could do an Agendia microarray on your tumor (mammaprint) and find out your risk score.  You might want to go for it, on the slight chance that your cancer is less aggressive than it appears.  Still, given that the tumor is fairly large and you have a suspicious node, you almost certainly should do chemo.  

Good luck,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 4:40pm
Hi Pattie, I am 5% ER+, and that is for the most part considered TN, but my onc put me back on Femara since it is 5% ER+...  my 1st BC (1999) was ER+ and PR+  strongly... this is very little, but he says anything over 1% can benefit from the hormonal therapy..
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
crabbiepattie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabbiepattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2010 at 9:55am
Thanks, everyone.  I'll go with the triple negative weakly hormone-positive label - possible benefit from Tamoxifen or Femara or other hormone blocker.

I just checked Mammaprint - I'm not eligible because I'm not lymph node negative. I may try sending off for the Greece chemo-sensitivity test; it would be good to have a higher confidence in the specific chemo drugs eventually planned for me.

Karen - I'm having the lumpectomy outpatient too. Thanks for telling me about the fluid buildup and infection (and so sorry that happened to you!) - I'll be extra careful.  I'm still wearing a bra day and night after the biopsy so I'll just keep it - um - up.

Lurking over the forums I see you all have been through a lot - thanks for answering dumb questions.

Hugs,
very crabbie Pat
DX 6/2010 Stg IIIa IDC gr 3, 1/11 nodes, ER- PR- HER2-
Lumpectomy 6/2010, TCx6, Radsx33, BRCA1/2 negative
Sugar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 9:36am
Crabbiepattie - interesting you're getting Tamoxifen for weakly positive.  I'm now going to check with my onc when I see him next.

Sherri
DX IDC TNBC Oct. 27, 2009, age at diagnosis 45, Stage 1, Grade 3, <1 cm, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished Feb. 8, 2010, radiation completed Apr. 21, 2010.
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 9:49am
Sugar77 - what was your percentege ?   mine was 5% ER+ so I am on Femara again
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic