FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This is Huge: RSK2 Targeted Therapy for TNBC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is Huge: RSK2 Targeted Therapy for TNBC?
    Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 7:50am
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
This could be a huge breakthrough for our community!

Game-Changing Discovery in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Published in Stem Cells Journal

The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation – BC/Yukon Region (CBCF) is thrilled to announce a game-changing discovery in triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC). This breakthrough points to one of the first personalized therapies for the treatment of TNBC and reports that RSK inhibition has the potential to block TNBC recurrence.

VANCOUVER, BC (PRWEB) June 05, 2012

The breakthrough research of Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation – BC/Yukon Region’s (CBCF) Doctoral Breast Cancer Research Fellows Kristen Reipas and Dr. Anna Stratford will today be published in the highly recognized medical journal, Stem Cells.

Supported by University of British Columbia (UBC) Associate Professor in the Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Sandra Dunn, trainees Ms. Reipas and Dr. Stratford have identified a protein critical to the survival of triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) patients. This breakthrough research has the potential to cure TNBC by targeting a protein called RSK2, which eliminates TNBC cells completely. The study, published June 5, 2012 in Stem Cells medical journal, reports that RSK2 inhibitors have the ability to kill all of the cells including cancer stem cells which give rise to cancer recurrence. This cutting-edge discovery will potentially personalize the treatment of TNBC on an international scale.

"RSK2 inhibition provides a novel therapeutic avenue for TNBC and holds the promise of being one of the first targeted therapies for this challenging form of breast cancer," says Dr. Sandra Dunn, UBC.

TNBC is diagnosed in approximately 400,000 women worldwide and is considered the most difficult breast cancer subtype to treat due to lack of effective therapies. Dr. Dunn’s laboratory at the Child & Family Research Institute at BC Children’s Hospital led the project in collaboration with scientists from Breakthrough Breast Cancer UK and the University of Aukland NZ.

This project began four years ago when UBC Post Doctorate Fellow Dr. Stratford of the Child & Family Research Institute was awarded $214,000 by CBCF BC/Yukon to support her research on this project entitled “The regulation of the Y-box binding protein-1 (YB-1) by p90 ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK) in triple-negative breast cancer.”

In addition, a doctoral candidate in the Experimental Medicine Program at UBC, Kristen Reipas was awarded $35,000 in support of this research study, entitled “Targeting Y-box binding protein-1 eliminates tumor-initiating cells and reduces relapse in triple-negative breast cancer.”

The BC/Yukon Region of CBCF is proud to award the Breast Cancer Research Postgraduate Fellowships every year to the most qualified breast cancer research projects across the province. These awards are intended for qualified health care professionals, MD graduates or recent PhD graduates to provide assistance in launching a career as independent, social, clinical or basic science investigator in breast cancer research.

Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation – BC/Yukon Region

The BC/Yukon Region of CBCF was established in 1992 to make a difference in breast cancer research and breast health for the BC population. Every year CBCF, along with its donors, sponsors and partners, raises funds to support unique and innovative initiatives in prevention, early detection, treatment, research and emerging issues in the health care workforce.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/CBCF/TNBCannoucement/prweb9576703.htm

Edited by 123Donna - Jun 07 2012 at 8:41am
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 9:17am
This is wonderful news. I hope this will be the answer we've been praying for. Perhaps they will release more information about the stage of the research and possible access to treatment through clinical trials, etc. Donna, I really appreciate your hard work in finding these studies which keep our attitudes positive and give us all hope. Thank you!
Martin

Edited by TNinTN - Jun 07 2012 at 9:18am
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 9:50am
Two thoughts popped into my brain. #1 Thank you Canada! and #2 hey Komen, these people just made your penchant for putting our bucks into pockets of non research people all the more an obviously bad choice. Researchers bust their butts and from $ in this article, they don't need billions to come up with remarkable results. This is just breathtaking in its success!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
youngmommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngmommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 9:53am
It truly is remarkable that these guys came up with such a promising studies with so few a dollars.. Lets hope and pray that this research gets into clinical trials very very soon ! 

Thank you Donna for sharing the information. 
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 10:05am
This is amazing hope this happens real soon, thank you Donna for sharing this very important information you are so on top of things.
Hugs,
Denise
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 10:10am
Oh Canada, we thank you thee!  Canada, you Rock!

Mainy, my thoughts also.  Komen raises billions and spends only a small part of that money on research.  Whereas the grants from Canada for this research: $214K and $35K and look at the possible results. 

Now we have to see if there are existing drugs to target RSK2 or if this will be a drug development/clinical trial approach that could take years.  This is the most exciting research I've seen for TNBC in quite a while and I have to be optimistic.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Jun 07 2012 at 10:12am
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 12:30pm
Donna,

Thank you for posting.

Could not resist googling to see what one could find about RSK2 inhibitors.
Good news - there's articles on RSK2.
I am going to have to read the articles a few times to try to understand what is being said.
Thought I would post what seemed to be good articles.......then if someone
understands them maybe they could summarize.
In any case, it was good to see there has been ongoing research on RSK2.

? what tissue/cells used in the research study....? actual TNBC breast tissue/cells.

So far, unable to find STEM CELL June 5, 2012 article or abstract on line.
If someone else finds, please post......thanks.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/research/research-centers/cell-signaling/faculty/deborah-a.-lannigan/dlanniganresearchinterest-page

http://sdjohnston.faculty.noctrl.edu/360/kinase%20inhibitors.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA437856

Following not on RSK2.....but raises an interesting point????
http://www.nature.com/nchembio/journal/v3/n3/full/nchembio0307-138.html

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today..........Judy
christina1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christina1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 7:43pm
I found a link earlier on aspirin/NSAIDs and RSK inhibition.  I will try to find it again after work tonight. I went for my 3 month check up with my oncologist this week and he is definitely in favor of taking aspirin if it doesn't cause problems.
2.5 cm TNBC, BRCA-, diag. 2/11, neoadj chemotherapy, uni MX, y2cm,2/16 nodes, RCBII, tumor retested 5-10%ER+,PR-,Her2-, rads, clin trial eribulin 10/11-2/12, tamox.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 8:02pm

christina1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christina1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 8:10pm
Donna, yes, those are the links! Thank you! My oncologist did not specify how often to take aspirin but I am taking a buffered woman's low dose daily.
2.5 cm TNBC, BRCA-, diag. 2/11, neoadj chemotherapy, uni MX, y2cm,2/16 nodes, RCBII, tumor retested 5-10%ER+,PR-,Her2-, rads, clin trial eribulin 10/11-2/12, tamox.
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 5:10am
Donna, thank you so much for posting this info and for the links.  Incredibly interesting.

A BIG AMEN Mainy!!!!  I couldn't agree more with the sentiment about Komen......

and Grateful, I will peruse the extracts and articles you posted as well. It would be interesting if we can find an analog in the everyday pharmcopoeia, perhaps aspirin, perhaps a mild version of a 5-ASA medication, that we can put to use on this rascal RSK2 sooner than later.

Dx 3/09 stg1 BRCA neg, 1.4cm IDC + 7mm DCIS, ki67 70 -90%, lump w/re-ex for margin, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; SonoCine every 6 months plus CAM interventions
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 12:31pm

Judy and MsBliss,  Please post if you find any information that we could possibly use.  

If anyone has an upcoming appointment with their onc, please bring a copy of this news release and ask them about it.  I'm curious about what the next step will be from this research.  

Donna

Oldblond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldblond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 1:43pm
Oh my God, I only joined the site yesterday and here is all this good news, I would have missed it if I hadn't joined, I am crying I am so happy and relieved, a huge thank you to those Canadian researchers who didn't give up and saw the light :)  and to you Donna for bringing the news to the site :)  even if it is too late to help me I wont be worrying so much for my daughter and granddaughter now there is the possibility of a drug that can cure TNBC.

Sheila x  
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 3:11pm
Stick in the mud here.  This was a study done on breast cancer cell lines, and even in those not all TN cell lines were sensitive.  In mice, inhibiting RSK2 delayed but did not eliminate tumor formation. 
Anyways, this might lead to a new drug strategy, or it might not.   The drug might be useful, or it might not.    TNBC is very heterogeneous, so it is unlikely that one drug will be the answer to all TN tumors.   So...good news, but as with all early results to be taken with a grain of salt.

DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 3:43pm
Hi Donna, Thanks for the post! I am visiting my sister and just had a chance to view the site. What hope we are being shown here...lets all keep hoping and praying that it is going to be just a matter of time before we get a cure!!! Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Boo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 3:44pm
Donna or dmwolf, I have the article which is long and very technical.  I have been sent it as an email.  I could send it to you via email but I cannot post it.  I do not know how. If you would like me to send it to you just let me know. 

Thanks,

Anne
dx 12/2010 age 50 TNBC 12 X 9 cm tumor 1 node, 3 X FEC 9 X Doxitaxol with concurrent rads - 2X3 cm residual tumor 20/1/12 mets in lungs METMAB trial May 7 to Oct. 21, CHK1 /Gem trial 26/12/12 fails
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 4:06pm
Denise, it had occurred to me too; that it was a study with some limits and the language in the article was overstated or overly optimistic.  But even at that, it is a remarkable study because RSK2 inhibitors are readily available and in use with other types of cancers, plus, RSK2 inhibitors have low toxicity.  This would mean that a clinical trial will move along quickly I hope.  I suspect that in coordination with other armament, RSK2 inhibitors may be the missing co-factor that kicks therapy for tnbc up a notch.

Here's hoping.....
Dx 3/09 stg1 BRCA neg, 1.4cm IDC + 7mm DCIS, ki67 70 -90%, lump w/re-ex for margin, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; SonoCine every 6 months plus CAM interventions
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 6:42pm
Boo (Ann), 

Thanks for emailing me the .pdf of the study.  I can't figure out how to post it either.  I searched online and could only find the abstract of the study.  Does anyone know how to post a .pdf document?  It's 20 pages long.  Maybe MsBliss or Denise (dmwolf) can read through it better than me.

Donna

mikel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 3:07am
Hello all,

this is a really exciting new, but I am going to try to be sceptic, because we have read many other hopeful news, which have come to nothing. We need good news, and we need them as soon as possible...

What I am going to do is to try to contact the researchers, as I always do. Sometimes they answer, putting things in their correct place, and sometimes they don't. I would like to manage my expectations reallistically. If I get any answer, I will post it.

Keep on fighting please, and hopefully this time is the good one.

Best regards,

Mikel

Edited by mikel - Jun 09 2012 at 11:38am
teamconnor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamconnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 4:15am
Donna and all my sisters who are fighting...this same article was forwarded to me from a friend off of yahoo this past wednesday and was getting ready to post as well.  I actually called them and left a vm so im sure they are being overwhelmed with calls.  I want more details on steps time frame etc and as many people have ive cried from joy about this discovery.  the power of the Lord will get us all through.  words can even describe what a break though this will mean for so many woman plus our children who may inherit this from us!  Oh Canada we do love you!!!
age 39, BRCA 1,dmast 6taxol/carbo, mest to lung, liver, FEC 8 rounds, xeloda 3000mg&ixempra 6 brain tumors within 2 mths radioactive surg complete,6 brain tum radation radioact surg on new
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic