FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Nodes" have it...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Nodes" have it...
    Posted: Jul 17 2010 at 11:37am
As can be seen from my signature, I have extensive node involvement - too widespread for either surgery or radiation, so only chemo for now.

However, I have a series of questions that have been running through my head for a little while - as the cancer is extensive in the nodes, does this mean they can't function as normal?  If so, what happens to the function they should be performing?  What happens after chemo - are the nodes destroyed, or do they just go back to "normal" afterwards?  (The node they removed from my neck, according to the path report, was completely taken over by the cancer.) 

Just wondering what effect this all has on the lymphatic system as a whole, if large portions of the nodes are incapacitated?

Thanks for any information.
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2010 at 2:41pm
Let me look into this, I really am not sure of answers.

One aspect that I do know is that chemo kills all cells, the good ones grow back.  How it would effect your lymph system I am not sure.

Have you asked your Oncologist these questions?  That would be your best source but I will see what I can find.

There is the possibility of lymphedema risk.  Be back soon..
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
NinaE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 1:19am
I had quite a bit of node involvement according to the PET/CT. After chemo, my nodes showed up clear.

The surgeon was very keen to leave as many nodes intact as possible to avoid lymphedema. He strongly argued against doing an axillary dissection since the PET/CT results were good. So I guess that means the nodes that had tumor in them before (and don't now) are still a valuable part of the lymph system.

They took out one node during surgery that was enlarged, but the biopsy showed scar tissue.
Stage IV at dx in Dec 09, at age 38. Mets to lung, axillary, IM and mediastinal nodes.

4xAC-->dd Taxol. Dbl mast, 6/10. Radiation, 8/10. NED since June 2010.
Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 9:05am
Thanks for the info.  This is one of the questions on my list for the onc. visit on July 28th.  But it is good to sometimes have another point of view on these topics.

NinaE, your experience is encouraging - hope mine turns out the same!

Pam, you are such a fountain of goodwill, and I admire you very much.  Good luck with your (?) scan this week.
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 11:34am
Debris,

What NinaE says makes sense.  I have been thinking about this since I read your post yesterday.  I'm so glad she was able to help and hopefully more will come along.

I did try looking for an answer and really couldn't find one. I do think you have good questions so when you see your Onc please let us know what you learn.  It's just so crappy you are dealing with this in the first place!!  But they will fix you right up, I feel confident you will be well.
Thank you so much for your support,Heart

Edited by trip2 - Jul 18 2010 at 11:37am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic