FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Coffee Shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 49>
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 5:51pm
Dear Lori,

everyone reacts differently..

Kim, mentioned EMEND and that is the one that my daughter found most effective..please ask your oncologist/infusion nurse about it.

good luck to you,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Alison41 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 5:59pm
Kim
I have just listened to the song on youtube and it was beautiful.
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi Kim,

"Bum, Bum, Bum, Here We Come." (a kids game I played in the dark ages); anyway, I'm glad you feel able to get on the computer, so let us be your friends for awhile to pass the time.

I would really be bummed some days when I was in treatment. You just never knew how each day was going to unfold. Hang in there and we will do our best to help.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 6:51pm
Kim,

I hope you're feeling better now.  Definitely ask your onc about Emend.  They gave me Emend as part of the IV pretreatment before chemo, then I took a pill each morning on Days 2 and 3.  I've had it every time with chemo and no nausea.  Maybe this was your worst day and tomorrow you're be up and around again.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Jan 05 2011 at 7:18pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Pink Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 12:09am
Late Update for Day 4

I slept most of the day.  Matt was off and I took full advantage.  I felt better, not as weak.  Lounged around on the couch and watched movies all day - slept when it came and didn't fight it.  I let Matt cook for me at lunch and I was craving a bacon cheeseburger for dinner, so I caved.  Not like me to eat that sort of thing, but, it's what sounded good, so.. OH! and I quit drinking sodas a couple of years ago but that's the only drink that even appeals to me right now.  Matt bought some of those little glass bottles of Coke and iced them down for me.  Pure heaven!  I have been downing the water too though, in between.  Part of me is still being a good girl.  hehe  Somehow I managed to lose 3 pounds anyway.

So far, day 3 was the worst.  I know this stuff can hit like a roller coaster, so, I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm on the upswing just yet.  (but I can hope)

The Zofran keeps the nausea in check.  Emend was the only thing that worked with the red devil.

Strange side effect - the skin and fleshy areas around the back of my neck are sooo tender.  They seem better tonight but what's up with that ?!

Other notable side effects: major left knee pain, left hip, other random joints aching, burning stomach cramps that come and go, appetite is all over the place - I either want to eat everything I see on TV or nothing sounds good at all.  Right now I'm craving fruit salad.  ha!  I remember on the red devil, I knew I was on the upswing when I started craving fruit.  Bad thing about the fruit is it's murder on the guts.  Don't think I want it that bad.  My mouth is watering though.. DANG IT!  I better just go back to the couch with my fat comforter and cup of ice chips.

xoxo
Dx:10/09,IDC Stg 2,Gr 3,TN
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
9/11 Skin mets, mediastinal & hilar nodes
Abraxane/Avastin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 12:22am
Dear Kim,

thanks for keeping us up...

hang tough...you will get through this!!!!!

don’t forget to “try to find the beauty in each day”...maybe it was Matt’s thoughfulness..

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 7:43am
Kim,

Glad things are getting a little better for you.  Are you taking anything for your stomach, like Pepcid AC?  Can you take Ibuprofin for the knee pain/joint aches?  I found that it worked along with a heating pad or nice hot bath.  During chemo, eat whatever feels good for you.  It's strange how your taste cravings can change.

Good luck and hope you're feeling better today.

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

abcmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 9:46am
Hang in there Kim!  Did you have a Neulasta shot?  I never felt sore and achy until those things.  But I guess it could have been from the chemo and Neulasta.  We love you!!
Diag 11/06/09 @ 40; Diag w/ TNBC Stage IIA, Grade 3 12/01/09 Node Neg. Dble MX with Recon 12/09 (twice)
Chemo 1/13/10 Chemo done 4/22/10 More recon surg 07/10, PET/CT Scan clear 07/10 NED 07/11
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 9:56am
Kim,
I'm hoping that today brings an improvement in your post-chemo symptoms.  You'll be on the upswing soon.  Eat and drink whatever you crave and can tolerate.  At least you are having food cravings.  I never wanted to eat.  Nothing tasted good.  There is light at the end of this chemo cycle.
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:31pm
Kim,

I have had pretty much the same symptoms that you mention with both my T/C treatments with Neulasta. Just to touch the skin on my neck hurt.  Had earaches on and off too.  About 6 days after treatment most of symptoms were going away and felt almost back to normal except still somewhat tired and weak and blurry eye symptoms.  Now I can't stop eating just about everything.  

It will get much better.  

With love, 

Sue 

Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 2:03pm
To all of you getting chemo right now, hang in there.  Just reading about your side effects brings me back there.  I hope you all feel better soon.

Lori
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 11:30pm
Day 5

Still slightly tired - "chemo flu" hanging on just a bit.  I hate that all over icky feeling.  My stomach hurts until I eat something and then 10 minutes or so after I eat, I'm in the bathroom with loose stools.  The lower abdominal cramping has to end at some point, right?  Ughh.  How do you avoid that?  Is there anything we can take to ease that part of the symptoms?  I feel really good right after I eat too - until I have to make a break for the bathroom.  Vicious cycle.

I had Neupogen shots this time.  Not sure why he changed me.  I guess the taxanes might be harder on the counts than the red stuff?  I took one shot on Tuesday and another on Wednesday.  It took all I had to get myself up to his office for that last shot.  I didn't have any noticeable side effects on the Neulasta, but, I felt so horrible from the red devil that I doubt I'd have been able to differentiate anything.  I had a headache the day after my first Neupogen, but that could have been the Zofran too.  I may never know.  

Hope all my current chemo sisters are feeling better.  

Hugs all around!

Kim
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 11:53pm
Kim,

I am sorry you are getting the "chemo flu".  I had the same problem with having to run to the bathroom- not sure if was the Taxotere or Cyt, and/or after effects of steroids (which gave me the opposite problem for a few days then suddently  the "runs" to the bathroom would start).  My onc. recommended Immodium (more than the regular over the counter dose) plus lots of hydration e.g. Gatorade to replace electrolites.  He also gave my Tylenol #3s for the aches and pains from Neulasta - with the added bonus that the T'3s contain codine which helps deal with the runs and general aches and pains from the "chemo flu".

Take good care of yourself. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Tracy in Toronto
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 8:34am
Day 6

Feeling much better, just wondering when I can have a cup of coffee.  This gut burn is for the birds!!

I took one sip of coffee thinking I'd be ok and seconds later I'm flying to the bathroom with gut cramps.  GRRRRR!!!

Hope everyone has a great day.  I'm going to shower and TRY to get out of the house - even if I don't get out of the truck.  I want fresh air.
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 9:58am
Dear Kim,

Now that sounds like a plan...delighted you are feeling well enough to venture out..

Hope you have a great day,

Steve
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 10:02am
Go for it, Kim.  Am thinking about you all the time.

Linda
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 10:32am
Been thinking about you Kim and glad to hear about the venturing out.  

Especially at this time of year a bit of fresh air does me good even if I have to take it slow and easy.   

Sue
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 11:25am
Kim, I had carbo&taxotere too and the gut issues were much alleviated by taking probiotics to recolonize the gut with 'helpful' bacteria.   The one I took had the word 'million' in the name but now I can't seem to find it.  Anyways, it's something to try. 
I hope you are feeling well today!
love,
d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 12:25pm
Kim,

The first time I had Cytoxin/Taxotere it affected my taste buds and stomach.  I took Pepcid AC every morning, but was never able to drink coffee or spicy foods.  Even fruit, like peaches, seemed to go right through me - too acidic.  It took me a year after treatment ended before I could drink a cup of coffee.  It was during this time I found my love of yogurt - vanilla.  Now being on Carbo/Gemzar, I haven't had any stomach problems this time.  I can drink coffee and mexican food with no problems.

Hope today is better for you and you can get out in some fresh air.

Hugs,

Donna

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 9:05pm
Kim love hearing from you.

Taxotere was very hard on my tummy so they gave me Lomotil.  They had suggested Immodium AD used with a different dose than what is on the box but that didn't work for me, the Lomotil did help but what helped the most was just time.  I know, it is so frustrating.
My sister who has Leukemia has had some difficult times with her chemo and she said the probiotics have helped.

I may have already suggested trying a protein shake, over ice is good.  Our tummy lining goes down the tubes on some chemotherapy.Hug
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 49>
  Share Topic