FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teacher seeking support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 4:19am
Regarding the satin pillowcases, my girlfriend bought me some and I think she said she got them at World Market. 

Love and hugs,

Lisa B.
Vicki G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 10:31am
Hi Ladies,

I got my pillowcases from Target'....!

Vicki
Lb Lumpectomy, IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, 1+ node, 4 x A/C, 4 x Taxol, 33 x Rads. NED almost 4 yrs.
Los Angeles, Ca.
Melaniesmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melaniesmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 2:12pm
Just a couple of thoghts -
I do Taxol weekly and LOVE IT!!! Just yucky from the benedryl but totally functioning on Friday (day after) - each week I take my daugter to  major 2-3 hour play date! I am half way done and had little to no side effects - I take suppliments (some the Ronda suggested) and drink loads of water.
I found a place out here that sells the silk pillowcases - www.apinkribbon.com
Check her out!
Good Luck to all the Thrusday ladies out there!
DMB1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 9:06am
I share your same diagnosis, and have two teenagers/husband/mother liiving with me.  Wish there was a "one size fits all" response to your question, but as you can see from the e-mail stream, there isn't.  Everyone reacts differently to treatment.  All I can do is share my own experience in the hope you'll glean something from it.  I kind of approached it like my pregnancies:  take advantage of help, get lots of rest, and eventually it will come to a conclusion.  My mantra throughout this whole this was "crave normal."  I kept to my work and home routine as best as I could.  I got pretty sick with upper respiratory infection after my second treatment and stayed home for a week, but after that things got better.  I continued to go to school events but if I got tired, my husband subbed for me.  I learned to walk a bit slower and to take help that was offered gratefully.  I learned to say "no" a little bit more - no, I can't volunteer for a school committee, no, I can't work over the weekend, etc.  Get your family to help because that way, they feel less helpless and more involved.  Also, my bosses were INCREDIBLY supportive, allowing me to work from home during that "bad" week and whenever else I needed to.  Having a focus and a fighting attitude helps. That's not to say I don't have my moments, but after a day or so of a "pity party", I pull myself up and get back on track.

Looking good helps you to feel better.  I highly advocate a wig if you lose your hair.  That was the hardest part for me, having to have my husband shave my head.  But I had the wig ready to go.  I highly recommend the American Cancer Society TLC store on line for great wigs at very good prices.  Wigs aren't what they used to be:  I wore one for MONTHS during chemo and no one in my office suspected.  You NEVER have a bad hair day!  Synthetics are terrific - do NOT get human hair because you will end up having to shampoo,set, etc. just like your own hair.  Get the wig trimmed out a bit so it isn't so full (I did it myself).  Also, make up helps.  When I lost my eyebrows, I found these plastic cutouts at WalMart that helped me fill them in.  Everyone kept telling me how great I looked - they didn't have a clue what I was going through!

Again, not only for your own sake but for your children and family, keep appearances as normal as possible, don't be afraid to take things slower if you need to, rest, and take it one step at a time.  You will get through this, you will be surprised how strong you are, and how much stronger you will become.

Denise
shellieh51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellieh51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 5:38am
Ditto - did the same thing and then if I was crabby because I didn't feel well then it was a major source of discussion.  I am still debating on taking disability - feel like I have lost my edge and just need some rest.  Onco had suggested I take 8 weeks off following completion of chemo - once more, I thought I could handle it.

I have auditors in the office this week but the next few weeks are full of appointments - update on parotid tumor diagnosed with initial PET scan, 1st follow-up appt with onco and then genetic results so I feel like I will have earned some time off in November.

Best wishes to you - I think I know how you feel.

Take care
dixiegal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixiegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 1:05pm
Wow -- I have been at this website for about an hour and I cannot believe the wonderful information, honesty and strength I have found here.  Since my diagnosis in March 07 I have been on our all too familiar journey and have tried to work thru out the treatment for my stage 2 ductal cancer (lumpectomy, 2cm tumor, no cancer in nodes, 4 x A/C sessions 4 x Taxol and now 6 wks of rad in progress)... luckily I work in a small engineering firm where casual dress is the order of the day and I have no scheduled presentations till next year... had bad reaction to the first A/C treatment but anti-nausea meds finally prescribed and took care of me thru out the rest of treatment.  Hair loss was big deal to me, then the eye lash and brows went with the Taxol treatments.  Last chemo was Aug 30th--- and now, 6 wks later, my eyelashes are coming back + I have 1/2 inch of white hair on my head... I expected that I would wear wigs all summer but it was too hot... I ended up and still wear terrycloth/cotton caps and bandanas on top of that to be most comfortable.. I go bareheaded at home here in MN and my husband is just fine with that.. I found several fabulous hats to wear to church... and now, I will just hope that my hair comes in before January... more importantly, I am hoping for a positive outcome when the radiation is over in mid-November and I have a CAT and bone scan party with my oncologist....this triple negative cancer needs more research but I appreciate your anecdotal comments about your own experiences, here... and lots of love here... Dixie
DMB1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 4:57am
Interesting. You mention a CAT scan.  I am going in for an MRI with dye injection in December, but haven't had CAT and/or PET scans.  Are these scans routine, or is my oncologist missing something?

Denise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic