Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Susan (Suzie) Ricketson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Susan (Suzie) Ricketson
    Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:29pm
Suzie was born September 6, 1954 and passed May 2, 2011. 

I am awaiting further details from Suzie’s husband. 

A "Celebration of Life” will be held this Saturday, May 14th at one of Suzie’s favorite beaches in Cape Cod. Details are still being worked out.

Suzie was a loving wife and devoted mother of two daughters. 

She was a lovely woman.

I am so deeply saddened to post this.

Rest in peace, dear Suzie,

Steve

Edited by steve - May 07 2011 at 10:30pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Pink Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 11:40pm
RIP sweetheart.  

Broken Heart
Dx:10/09,IDC Stg 2,Gr 3,TN
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
9/11 Skin mets, mediastinal & hilar nodes
Abraxane/Avastin
Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:35am
Suzie, now at Peace in His Love.

Prayers for comfort and healing for her family.

Deborah.
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:35pm
Dear all,

I just received this from Arthur, Suzie’s husband and am posting it in its entirety, with his permission. I hope you can open Suzie’s picture below.

"Susan A. Ricketson, 56, of Centerville, died Monday morning after a long battle with triple-negative breast cancer.  Susan was the devoted wife of Arthur W. Paquette, of Hingham, and beloved mother of daughters Jessica Ricketson, of Burlington, VT, and Sarah Ricketson, of Boston.  She was born in 1954 in Providence, RI, the daughter of Anne Kiley and Anthony Marino.

After graduating from Fitchburg State University, Susan joined the Peace Corps and was stationed in El Salvador for two years, where she worked at a women's clinic.  After returning to the U.S., she worked as a counselor for over 20 years and remained dedicated to under-served populations. 

Susan was a lifelong caregiver and advocate for hopeful change in the world.  In 2006, she attended a women's conference in South Africa that focused on improving the lives of impoverished children and AIDS patients.  She was also highly involved with triple-negative and metaplastic cancer research and support.  Susan enjoyed supporting “sisters,” women who were also coping with breast cancer.

Susan had a loving and vivacious spirit.  In her free time, she enjoyed going to the beach, visiting with family, traveling, and sewing.  Nothing made her prouder than being a mother.

Along with her husband Arthur and daughters Jessica and Sarah, Susan is survived by her parents and siblings:  Catherine Marino, Martha Fernandez, Lisa Marino, and John Marino, and many nieces and nephews.

Arrangements for a celebration of life are being made by her family for May 14th.  Please contact celebratesue11@gmail.com for more information.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Susan's name to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation, The Peace Corps, or the Kliptown Youth Program of South Africa.”

Thank you, Arthur. I know this Mother’s Day is horribly difficult for you and the girls. Our hearts are with you and we encourage any of you to feel free to post if you would like..

Rest in peace, dear Suzie..

Steve

SueRicketson.JPG

Edited by steve - May 08 2011 at 4:37pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:22pm
Thank you Steve for posting for Arthur and Suzie! Antother angel gone too soon.......

So sorry to hear of another sister loosing the battle!
May Suzie be at peace now and know that she made such a difference in this lifetime to many others with her kindness and love. 

May your family rest in your love that you leave for them and that they see the light and follow as that will be you dear Suzie as you guide them home!

God bless and keep you and your family, Love Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:26pm
My heart breaks to learn that we have lost Suzie, we will miss you my dear.
My condolences to her family.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 9:39pm
I am so saddened to hear about the loss of another beautiful sister.  Suzie, you lived an amazing, active life and helped so many people.   Our hearts are heavy with this loss.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 9:56pm
So sorry to learn of this sad news. Suzie, you were always so positive and uplifting despite your challenges and were always thinking about others.  I will miss you, my dear metaplastic TN friend

love Tracy in Toronto
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:02pm
Dear all,

I have a particular sadness about this on many levels...

Suzie, early on, made some oblique references to her career helping folks....she told me “it is so strange for me to have an advocate helping me because I have spent my whole life helping others, but I recognize that I need your help and I recognize that you are a knowledgeable advocate...I was, too, and I know what to look for. It’s just hard for me to do; I am so used to helping others. Hard to accept the help for myself.” She mentioned AIDS at some point but that was the extent of our conversations about her life prior to cancer because once she was diagnosed with metaplastic TNBC that became the central focus of her life and other than talking about her family all of our conversations were about her cancer.

The fact that I really didn’t know all the good work she did in her lifetime makes me profoundly sad...and at the same time her cancer was an overwhelming, non-relenting event. I understand why she didn’t talk about the past because she was so focused on trying to deal with her cancer and she was never able to get ahead of it. As Arthur wrote me, "the cancer was just too much for her."

But, also, I feel, her work was a testament to who she was. She let her good deeds speak for themselves.
In any event, I now appreciate, a lot more, the purity of her heart for so many decades. I feel even more honored to have been a part of her life. Thank you, Arthur, for sharing with us.

Several years ago, for my own sanity, I had to stop trying to figure out why “bad things happen to good people."

Suzie, I miss you,

Steve

Edited by steve - May 08 2011 at 11:43pm
outnumbered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outnumbered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 7:48am
I am so sorry...  My prayers go out to the family.  
~Sara

DX @ age 40 6/24/08 Stage 1 Grade 3 BRCA1+ 187delAG

BMX (nipple-areola-sparing) 8/5/08

Redo BMX (remove nipple and areola) w/ Lat Flap 7/6/09

BSO 9/3/09

NED since 08/05/2008
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 5:01pm
This is so sad.  We were just talking to her a month ago and she was doing ok, really handling everything emotionally like such a champion, with so much strength and equanimity and humor.
  I'll miss her here on the forum.

What a hideous disease, to strike so viciously and with such speed. 

Agh

d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 5:28pm
Does anyone know how to put insert Suzie's picture?  She had the most beautiful smile.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20110505%2FOBITS02%2F105050333
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 5:38pm
Dear Donna,

I posted this above..

at least on my computer if you click on it..it downloads...there is a slight delay and then it pops up 

let me know if it works please..

I understand what you want to do...but I don’t know how to do it..Smile

all the best,

Steve

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 6:35pm
Steve,

I clicked on the link but it gave me an error.  It could just be my pc and may work for others.  Thanks for the help. 

Donna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 6:39pm
Sorry, Donna..

Edited by steve - May 09 2011 at 10:26pm
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 7:44pm
Dear Family of Suzie,

I am deeply sorry for the loss of your wife, mother, sister, child, aunt. It sounds as though she made a big impact on the world and that speaks volumes about who she was.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
Karen O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 9:55pm
It always hurts all of us to lose a sister in this fight.... but, I take peace in knowing that they no longer have pain, suffering, disease.  They are whole and they still shower their love on us from above.
I pray for peace and comfort for her family 
Stage III ICD/TNBC 9/07; lumpectomy A/C/Taxotere+rads; Stage IV bone mets 12/10. Xeloda and Gemzar, no good. On Navelbine + rads

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 7:56am
Dear all,

Up in the middle of the night....another nightmare so that I don’t want to go back to sleep and “get back into the same dream”...anyone else who does that?

I brilliantly figured...”let me read the NY Times on line; that will take my mind off cancer” and I came across this article about Peace Corps volunteers being raped-

Suzie was a Peace Corps volunteer so I immediately thought of her...and no, I have no knowledge that she was ever attacked but it occurs to me that invasive breast cancer is much like a rape. It is violently intrusive, unasked for, often beyond the recipient’s control and all too often, incredibly to me, viewed unsympathetically in the work place. A woman I am helping was on a 90 day probationary period and was fired on the 86th day, soon after her company found out she had metastatic disease and is on chemo. How do the folks at companies who make decisions like this sleep at night? Where are their hearts?

Somehow, I think Suzie would have approved this post in the middle of her tribute because she fought for those who needed representation, for those who needed help, as do the victims in this article.

Suzie, a lovely light that is out physically but still shines in our minds/hearts. Your life was a testament to good deeds and those actions will insure immortality. Prouder than ever to have been a small part of your life. 

love,

Steve
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 11:08am
Steve,

"Same dream" thing has happened to me many times, know the feeling! 

The correlation of the cancer to the rape is interesting in that it does invade the body no matter what precautions were in place, affects the psyche, creates that sense of no control, being at the mercy of clinicians and others, and causes PTSD type feelings to emerge, and there is no going back and getting rid of the events once diagnosed. I also was asked to voluntarily resign due to too many days needed off for treatment, so I can relate to the loss of work aspect.  

What an inspiration Suzie was to our too often hurtful world, and I am so grateful to have known her even though momentarily.  

Hoping tonight brings peaceful rest to you Steve.

Love and Peace,
Sue

Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 2:00pm
Early childhood trauma, including molestation/rape, increases the odds of BC, so there is that link as well. 
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic