FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivors Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kitkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:39pm
Thank you all for responding
There are lots of questions for all of us...so many
Diet...I now take D3 gel caps, its supposed to absorb better. Tumeric for inflammtion (health store) calcium, biotin (to help my hair grow back faster) Still have wine or beer. I do try to watch what i eat.  I juice at least once a week
12 carrots
3-4 stalks celery
3-4 apples
1 lemon
1 head of brocolli   husband and son wont touch it, but it really is good, makes digestion better also

I also have been buying meat from my neighbor who has farm raise cattle for when I do eat meat.  I try to eat more fish, salmon and tuna.
49 yrs DX 6-10 IDC stage 1, gr 3, lumpectomy (w/ microvascular invasion of the tumor) 1.3 cm  4xTC 25 rads w/ 7 boost ( had 1mm margin on chest wall) finished everything the day before thanksgiving (great time to be Thankful) which is when my oncoligist said would be my survivorship date.
I wish they can find a cure for this ..SOON!
Take Care all of my BC family.  You have made me feel better. I do feel I can Never let my guard down.  Kathy
I have always walked and still do.  I am 5-3 and about 130 lbs
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 9:35pm
Kathy, it's great to eat well and exercise, but don't beat yourself up if you don't do everything 'perfectly'.  Whether or not cancer recurs might not have that much to do with what we eat or what we do.  Every study that has found a positive result using diet has been overturned by a subsequent study.  Like the very low fat WINS diet, overturned on the bigger study that followed (don't remember the acronym at the moment).  So.....it comes back or it doesn't.    Live well, take care of yourself, but don't agonize over a piece of cake.  We have seen our share of women completely deprive themselves for years only to recur and be PISSED at all that discipline for nothing.    The fact is, it is out of our control.  It would be great if there was something we could do to protect ourselves, but there probably isn't.  The best we might hope for is a small delay in the onset of image-visible metastatic disease if it is in the cards for us.  Luckily, for most of us it is NOT in the cards to have a recurrence.  Most of us are cured after treatment, though of course one never knows how the chips will land.    I guess the best we can do is live fully so that if whatever year we are in happens to be our last year of good health, we make it a damn good one.    One side of this is fear, but the flip side is incredible joy and gratitude.  We are ALIVE -  TODAY!
love,
Denise  (who started running recently, not because I think it will save my life, but because it makes the life I have - however long or short - much more satisfying with a heart-fit body)

Edited by dmwolf - Mar 31 2011 at 9:37pm
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
BreastFree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:11pm
Today well this week I felt bad, sad, empty, lonely, I'm sure there is more! For some reason it's just really getting to me this week. Don't know what it really is, but there is some Anger!!!!! It just keep Boiling Up! My Mind goes in so many different ways! Trying to Slow it down!
Ok I guess I'm done for now thanks for listen!!!
I'm Breast-Free By Choice!
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009
28 Radiation,Sept.2009 had right breast removed.
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:00pm
Thank you again to all, especially Denise and Alison,

I think it helps so much to try to remember that we all (cancer survivors or not) need to appreciate every day that we have.  We have a limited time on earth and we have no way of knowing when our time is up.  Most of the lifestyle recommendations for those of us with TNBC are the same for everyone.  I mean who shouldn't try to eat less fat and sugar and exercise more?  I think the key has to be in finding some balance between healthy habits and enjoying life.  No one is ever going to conquer mortality.   And, to "BreastFree," we all have times like you are describing.  I hope you feel better fast!

Charlen
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:27pm

Edited by BreastFree - Apr 03 2011 at 2:40pm
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 4:16pm
So can anyone help with Anger, how you coped with it. I'm thinking that's what it is along with everything else.HELP
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 4:56pm
Hi Breast-Free,
Do you have anything going on in your life that could cause anger? Are you normally an angry person?

Sometimes I "snap my husbands head off" and I realize I'm taking my anger out on him. Sometimes I speak too harshly to people and don't have a good reason. I believe the stress of life and "living beyond TN breast cancer" takes its toll on us and we don't know what to do with it. I sometimes feel as if I had never had cancer I would be the happiest person in the world, but that is not realistic.

I think we all fall into those funks and just have to let some time pass until we get to the other side of it. You are in good company.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:39am
Celebrating today (April Fool's Day) the 3rd anniversary of my bilateral mastectomy which is when my onc counts from. Other than having to have a total thyroidectomy about 1 year after my original diagnosis due to pre-cancerous cells in 2 large nodules, I am doing well. I thank God every day for one more day. Since my diagnosis, my outlook on life has changed in so many ways. Each day each family member and each friend have become more precious than ever. I would never wish cancer on anyone but I will say that I have been the recipient of so many blessings in the last 3 years.

I try to live each day so that God's love is evident in me and this prayer by Roy Lessin really says what is in my heart. May you all receive a blessing by reading this prayer.

Prayer for the Day
Father, through my face may your light shine;
Through my voice may your praise be heard;
Through my hands may your works be extended;
Through my life may your grace abound;
Through my heart may your love be known.

Love & hugs from San Antonio, Texas,
Genie
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:46am
Congratulations Genie!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
elfdream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elfdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:40am
I have to be honest and say that any lifestyle changes that I have made were not to stop a re-occurrence of cancer. Some were because I wanted to prevent diabetes (have two brothers with it and its not pretty) and to try and minimize the risk of heart disease and reduce the pain of fibroymyalgia. So far it has worked...although I do need to work on walking more.

Since I last posted I decided to start taking a 'Fish, Flaxseed, Borage Oil, Omega 3,6,9' supplement. That's a mouth full of a description isn't it?LOL Its all in one pill. This particular one is made by Spring Valley. I'm not a big one for taking extras but I don't think this one will hurt. I've also decided to go 'gluten' free but that is to determine whether or not I have a wheat allergy.  So far my digestive system is quiet today so there might be something to that.LOL

Edited by elfdream - Apr 02 2011 at 8:42am
janet c. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet c. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:27pm
Genie, Congratulations on 3yrs. and I wish you many, many more.

Breast Free ,
What exactly are you angry about? Is it because you had tnbc? I think you should try to focus on the positives , like in august you will be a survivor for 3yrs. which is a very good thing. The odds of a recurrence drops after that and continues going down. If you make it 8yrs. they consider you cured. I find praying helps me get through anything. I hope you feel better soon and if you don't maybe you could go to some professional. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
dx 12/08 @47yrs.old TNBC stage 2a grade 3, 2.1cm. partial mastectomy sentinal node negative BRACA negative Cytocan/Taxatere x4 radiation 36 or 38rounds
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:44pm
Janet c., thank you for the good wishes!!!

Hugs, Genie
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 9:35am
Breastfree:

I am not surprise you feel anger.  There are many frustrations not only in breast cancer care but in any illness - the bills, the unsatisfactory care you might encounter some days, the stares of people, the feeling that people expect you to be suddenly happy when your treatment has ended but you might not feel it. 

I am speaking from personal and professional experience - it's not abnormal.  One of the first things they do with open heart surgery patients (in MANY cases) is put them on an antidepressant.

I agree.  Talk with a doctor or counselor.  Try something and don't beat yourself up.
Barbi
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 12:29pm
Janet c, do you have a study/link/research article that we could look at showing that after 8 yrs we are considered cured.  Thanks!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 2:39pm
Thank You all!!!
I'm feeling some what better! Now that I'm finding out I'm Normal what ever Normal is...
Getting my Focus Changed!!!!!
God Bless You ALL!
Have a Great DAY!!
janet c. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet c. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:13pm
Pam,
I am sorry I don't really remember exactly which article I read it from since I tend to read everything possible. I don't really even know how to put up a link, although if I can find it I will ask one of my children to do it for me.
dx 12/08 @47yrs.old TNBC stage 2a grade 3, 2.1cm. partial mastectomy sentinal node negative BRACA negative Cytocan/Taxatere x4 radiation 36 or 38rounds
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:21pm
Thank you Janet..I understand, we read so many, no problem.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
rigatonismom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rigatonismom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 6:06pm
Hi All,
The discussion about when you start counting interests me.  I had neoadjunct chemo and will have  surgery April 11.  It we count from when the tumor comes out, I can't even start counting yet, though I have been through 6 months of chemo.  No one can find my tumor anymore (that happened after the first chemo treatment) so maybe I can use that date. 
Nita
DX 09/10 TNBC Stage3c, grade3, Tumor 2.7cm, chemo started 9/29/10, AC x4, Taxol x12, lumpectomy 4/11/11-tumor .6cm, 3+/22 nodes, radiation x 30 finished 6/30/11.Clinical Trial Cisplatin,PARP 8/23/11
janet c. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet c. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 6:57pm
Nita,
Congratulations on the chemo working, that is wonderful news! Technically you can even count from the date of dx. if you wanted to because you are surviving from then. A lot of people count from their surgeries and some people count from the last day of treatment. It really is a personal decision which one you want to use. After your first chemo when your tumor disappeared sounds like a perfect date to me. All the best to you!
rigatonismom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rigatonismom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 7:28pm
Thank you janet c.  I agree.  I think I will say that 10/20/10 is the beginning of my survivorship.  That's when the onc couldn't find the tumor anymore.

Nita
DX 09/10 TNBC Stage3c, grade3, Tumor 2.7cm, chemo started 9/29/10, AC x4, Taxol x12, lumpectomy 4/11/11-tumor .6cm, 3+/22 nodes, radiation x 30 finished 6/30/11.Clinical Trial Cisplatin,PARP 8/23/11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic