Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starting treatment when to start???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ctysvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctysvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting treatment when to start???
    Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 6:05pm
I received my diagnosis on July 23 from a core biopsy. I was referred to a well known research hospital in Houston. I am shocked and concerned that after meeting with my team on August 11 we still have not scheduled a surgery. The team wants to do Six months of chemotherapy first. I am unsure if I can survive six months. Then she suggest surgery followed by radiation. My clonal staging is IDC stage 2. The tumor has grown from 2 cm to 3 cm following the biopsy on July 16. The medical oncologist wants me to try a trial but I want to start chemo right away. Any advantages to being in a trial. This would delay treatment by about three weeks. I just want the tumor gone. If I don't do the trial I can start chemo right away. I am 49 years old and a black female with two children.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 6:11pm
Doing chemotherapy first is a very good idea, because you will have an indication of whether the treatment is working.  If it works great, you have peace of mind, and if not, you have the opportunity to change therapy.   Whether or not you are in a trial, be sure to have carboplatin with the taxane phase of your treatment.  All recent trials show this combination (taxol+carboplatin)=>AC dose dense has the best results in TNs like us. 
Good luck deciding!  You are in the hardest part right now, making decisions and feeling anxious.
Best,
d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
July31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 12:42am

Hi, Two years ago I received the neoadjuvant dose-dense ACT chemo regimen, but my ACT stood for Adriamycin, ­Cytoxan and Taxol.  Have they changed the “C” to Cisplatin or Carboplatin or is this being added in?  Has some new research come out?  Thanks. -- July

Found lump 7/27/11, Dx 9/1/11,  Stage 2A  T2, NO, MO, grade 3, triple neg, neo dd ACT chemo, lumpectomy 2/8/12,  rads (dd Canadian regimen)2½ years no recurrence, yay!  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic