Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sore hands and feet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jlmp11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlmp11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sore hands and feet
    Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 12:47pm
I'm about 3 months out from chemo. The numbness in my hands and feet (from Taxol) seems to be getting better. But now I'm waking up with my hands cramped and my knuckles feel jammed. Also, my feet are sore and achy, the ball of my foot the most. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem ? And if so, how long did it last ? I hope it is just temporary ! Any input would be great !

Thanks- Marcie
marcie
dx 1/09 triple neg.
stage 2 grade 3
idc 2.7 cm
mastectomy 2/09
chemo 3/09 4 ac biweekly, 12 taxol weekly dose dense
brca neg.
0/3 nodes
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 1:09pm
Hi Marcie, the months after chemo are a mystery to me, so many aches, pains, strange pangs, it's as if my dear old body got left behind and someone substituted this new one with all kinds of strange things going on.

I developed what people here helped me diagnose as "trigger finger" and it was on most of my fingers, not just one. The joints would freeze in a bent position. If this happens to you go straight to an orthopedic surgeon who can give you a steroid injection. When I went to mine he indicated that he sees joint issues on a regular basis from people/women who have completed chemo. So our joints do suffer.

I'm told that load bearing exercise SLOWLY, as in walking are excellent ways to help your joints rebuild themselves. I'm sure you've found that your muscles were trashed by the chemo so keep that in mind when you ask your body to go with you on your exercise program. Poor muscle tone can put undue stress on joints. I ended up doing alot of hiking with evening workout on a pilates machine. 

I don't have an answer that will give you immediate help, I'm sure others here will, but I can say that slow, progressing, walking helps the knees & feet. I also found that an anti inflammation diet worked well to overall help joints, including hands.

Take good care of yourself and best of luck.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
susie72404 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susie72404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2009 at 8:09am
Hi Marcie,
I finished chemo back in February and have experienced the same thing,but only in my legs and feet.

It is a residual effect of the chemo. The nerves are damaged, I am told. I have been offered prescriptions for Elavil and Neurontin. So far, I have taken neither. I just want to detox and not add anything else to my body. The tingling and pain are better but definitely not gone.

Maybe one of these two medicines will help you. I may eventually try one myself, just trying not to.

Hope this helps, Susie
Susie Age 56 at DX
dx10/08,stage1,grade3
lumpectomy,.75cm. tumor,SNneg.,
12/08 began 4xAC,03/09-05/09 35rads
BRCA2+ June 2009
oophorectomy10/6/09,bilateral prophylatic mastectomy June 2010
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2009 at 12:52pm
Load up on L-Glutamine (500mg/day) and B-6 (I don't know the dose, but I am sure someone else would chime in).

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
jlmp11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlmp11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the info. everyone ! 

MarcieSmile
marcie
dx 1/09 triple neg.
stage 2 grade 3
idc 2.7 cm
mastectomy 2/09
chemo 3/09 4 ac biweekly, 12 taxol weekly dose dense
brca neg.
0/3 nodes
ratherBdiving View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratherBdiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 7:27pm
B-6 should be 200 mg per day...100 in the morning and 100 in the evening.  I hope you feel better soon!  I'm in the middle of my Taxol treatment and just starting to have issues with neuropathy.  Need to get some gleutamine!
dx 5/09, age 35, IDC TNBC, BRCA-
stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm
bi-mx 6/09, expander recon, SNB - neg 0/2
A/C 4x DD, T/Carbo 12 weekly, completed 12/10/09
NED 12/31/09
smithlme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithlme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 12:48pm
My chemo ended in August of 2007. I still have neuropathy in the ball of my left foot and the cold weather makes it much worse. By the end of the day I feel like I'm walking on marbles. I took B6 and B12 while going through chemo and for months after.  My Onc told me it's verve damage and may never go away. I do Yoga, work out and walk alot, but it hasn't improved.

Linda
Dx 3/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-, Unilateral Mastectomy, DD AC & DD Taxol
Dx 3/31/08, DCIS, ER+/PR-, Mastectomy
BRCA 2+, Hysterectomy w/BSO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic