Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resource Forum Discussions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resource Forum Discussions
    Posted: May 03 2009 at 9:49am
Reading one of Steve's posts yesterday put a thought in my head, ah oh!

But here is the deal.  We were posting the links we found with news in the Talk section and occasionaly there was a discussion about what the study or article had to say.  I miss that.

We decided to put all of the links in the Resource section for the reason of they were getting buried in threads, keeping them in one place seemed more practical.  But doing that is not giving us the interesting discussions.

So if anyone sees a link in the Resource section they would like to talk about please either cut & paste to the Talk section or ask me or Nancy to bring it up, just try and give us a hint of topic and page number.  We are really loading up in there and that's wonderful.

Thanks and I look forward to these discussions anyone might want to start.Wink
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 3:27pm
Dear Pam,

thanks to you and Nancy again for all the hard work you do...on all levels..

I think the ability to pull something off the other section and then discuss it on the main board will be productive.....

I have one question though....if I find a study that hasn't been posted should I post it on the main board and then you guys will make the link "hot" or not? I will send you a PM and let you know I have posted something?

and, somehow, it is important for me to tell you and Nancy-

for Pam and Nancy (and others here I am sure but am too new to know)

P-Please know we are all pulling for you for a complete recovery
A-All I know is that you are an extraordinary woman
M-May I say that it is a pleasure to 'know' you although we have not met

N-Nice to know that you are always here with your huge heart
A-A warmer welcome to a community I have never received..thank you
N-No one who has a child with cancer is ever the same again. Perhaps          that is our bond?
C-Can't imagine what this site would be like without you both..we are blessed to have you in our midst
Y-You both, perhaps without realizing it, are doing G-d's work

Thank you for gracing us with your presence...May G-d bless you and keep you well.

all the best,

Steve

Edited by steve - May 03 2009 at 3:44pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 5:24pm
Awww Steve thank you that was so nice of you to come up with what you did, made me smile, warms my heart.Smile

If you have a link please feel free to post it in the forum and me or Nancy will be happy to tuck it into the Resource forum for you, not a problem at all.

We should be hearing from Nancy soon.  I am missing her posts.

I too had a daughter with breast cancer, can't remember if I told you that or not.  We went thru treatments at the same time in 07 but she lives in a different State so we weren't able to do much but email and call. 

I had had bc in 03.  Then she was diagnosed in Jan of 07, I was devastated and it literally brought me to my knees.  Please give it to me and not her.  Then almost one month later I was diagnosed again, we learned we carry the same brca1 mutation along with my 22 yr old daughter who is going to college.

Hey Steve all your good wishes plus the support of everyone here in the forum I believe is working on these legs of mine.  I do not hurt like I did so that's a good sign.

Have a good evening,
Pam
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 5:58pm
No, Pam...

I had no idea you had a daughter affected as well....I am so sorry and she shall be in my prayers, as well..

On a very long walk in a state park on Long Island near my daughter's home when she was having a fairly decent day as she was going through chemo...I told her "if I could have your cancer, I would take it in a heartbeat"...she looked at me and said "I know you would Daddy"..and then we wept in each other's arms..

It goes against the natural order of things to have a child at extreme risk...somehow psychologically you can prepare yourself a bit better (probably only a bit) for the loss of a parent...I had three long years to do so with my mom..but learning your daughter has a cancer that is often lethal...well it is just a perspective that most of us are not ready for...turned my world absolutely upside-down. I am not embarrassed to say that I turned to a wonderful therapist, Dr. Karen Hurley, who is associated with Memorial Sloan Kettering's Clinical Genetics Dept. Her practice is limited to helping people involved with hereditary problems. She helped me come to terms with my mother's death and my daughter's cancer and separately she also helped my daughter...

At Dr. Hurley's suggestion my daughter held a private memorial service
for her breasts just prior to her PBM..

Thank you, Dr. Hurley for helping us through our fragility..

My thanks go to you again, Pam for everything you are doing here and I am very sorry about your daughter...

all the best,

Steve

p.s. please keep feeling better..one day at a time..

Edited by steve - May 03 2009 at 5:59pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:06pm

Steve when our children are diagnosed we cannot fix it as we fixed their boo boos as a child.  Our hands are tied.  But you know all about that.

I would have loved to have a counselor during early 07 but there are none around here sooooo I would get in bed and pull the comforter over my head and for some reason this would help make everything in my head go away for a few minutes, my security blanket but hey, it workedWink
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:20pm
Pam,

you hit the nail on the head...."we cannot fix it"...it's the feeling of powerlessness...a feeling that it may be out of your hands...bigger than you perhaps even more powerful than your love...sooo scary..

I am a very early riser but I remember one day that I just never made it out of bed...I just wanted to be in the dark and somehow disappear...

I have to look forward...can't go to those days..

it's interesting though...sometimes we all feel our experiences are so unique and when I read your story I see my story and it has happened many, many times...I even found two men who lost their moms to breast cancer and then saw their daughters dx with breast cancer..we are not alone and that's why TNBCF and FORCE are so important...a chance to be with folks who "get it."

I am starting to fade..so I will say good night..

all the best,

Steve

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:24pm
Sweet dreams Steve.Sleepy
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic