FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove or just do the follow-up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
euniceywt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euniceywt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove or just do the follow-up?
    Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 6:19am
Hi, everyone

My mom was diagnosed with tnbc seven months ago. She had mastectomy without further treatment (no chemo or radiation) due to the size of IDC tumor (less than 5mm). A couple weeks ago a 1.1cm tumor was detected in her opposite breast, so she had biopsy and the result is benign. I know benign tumors in breasts are generally safe but I've heard that they still have chances to turn into malignant, plus biopsy doesn't give 100% guarantee unless the whole tumor is examined. Her onc recommended to have routine mammogram every three months, and my mom is unwilling to have any other surgery reminding her of the experience she had been through......I know it does no good to be anxious about things unpredictable, but my mom's medical history sort of worries me. Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Eunice from Taiwan  

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 5:09pm
Did she have tumor marker bloodwork done?
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
euniceywt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euniceywt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 11:26pm
mainsailset,

Yes, the result of her blood test is in the normal range. 
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2017 at 12:46am
Quick question - when is tumor marker blood work done?  I don't think I ever had any.  I was stage 1 tnbc with no lymph node involvement.  Went through lumpectomy, TC chemo, RADS and med onc ordered a CT scan (all clear).  I am now on the follow up journey but I do not remember anyone ordering or ever speaking of tumor marker blood tests?  Am I missing something?

Thanks, Penny
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

euniceywt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euniceywt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2017 at 9:57am
Penny,
In my mother's case she returns for her check-up every six months in the first two years. The tumor marker is included in the follow-up plan that shows the level of CA 15-3, CEA, etc.  I assume that tumor marker test shall be included according to the follow-up care guideline? But I am not so sure whether it differs from case to case. I think it would be better to consult your onc for more details about your follow-up plan.

All the best, Eunice 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2017 at 12:38pm
Eunice,

Can they also include an ultrasound?  I think the 3D mammograms are much better for detection than previous types, but an ultrasound is best for dense breast tissue.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

euniceywt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euniceywt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2017 at 9:22am
Donna,

Ah, thank you for pointing this out! I think it shall be ultrasound instead of mammograms. 
Trought View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trought Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2017 at 12:00pm
thanks ladies for everything. we're suspecting my wife's having breast cancer so your information here is really helpful. i'm trying to learn as much as i can!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic