New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - recurrence to pectoral muscle/progress of tn resea
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recurrence to pectoral muscle/progress of tn resea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
janinvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janinvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recurrence to pectoral muscle/progress of tn resea
    Posted: Nov 25 2008 at 10:31am
 I just finished treatment for recurrence (from 11 1/2 years ago ) --to the area on/ near the pectoral muscle on my masectomy site.  That surgery was in July 1996--followed by chemo, radiation, and tamoxifen (even though at the time I was estrogen negative).  I had a few positive nodes.** In Dec. 2007--my blood tumor marker CA 15-3(in Canada) jumped from 35 to 45..AND then proper investigation led to a diagnosis     .Previously for about 1 year they had insisted that the new swelling on my pectoral muscle was lymphodema--like my arm!! (My usual oncologist was away on a research/personal leave)
After my recent chemo(docetaxol)- and radiation, the mass reduced minimally to about 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches.It's not that certain on a CT scan --as to the status of those cells.  Now a thoracic surgeon(who advises my breast surgeon) has ordered an MRI and a PET scan to determine if surgery is possible--- as the cells are close to my collar bone and 2 ribs.
**Has anyone had a similar situation?
TN has NO supplementary medicines---like arimidex, letrizol.... 
If it's inoperable ---wait and see??...with scans, etc.?
Where in the U. S. are the great bc centers?

Edited by janinvan - Nov 25 2008 at 10:33am
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2008 at 2:57pm
I wish that i had some useful information for you.  It is really maddening how many times swellings. lumps, etc are dismissed or are not investigated properly.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2008 at 1:46pm
Hi Janinvan and welcome.

I am going thru something similar with a swelling above my mastectomy scar so waiting to be scheduled for a PET scan and also going to find a new Oncologist but I am not sure where the best hospitals would be.

I will start a new topic in the Talk forum and see if members will write in with whom they think is a good place to go.

Let us know how your mri and PET come out. 
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
pinklemonade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinklemonade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 10:33am
I am there - recurrance to pectoral muscle (two tumors) and 11 nodes...
PineHouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PineHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 5:21pm
janinvan,

If they can resect the tumor with clear margin, that would be preferable.  But if they can't reasonably do resection, it doesn't mean that you can't have a treatment.  Although you won't qualify for hormonal therapies, there are many chemotherapies other than Docetaxel/Taxotere to choose from.

As far as good BC centers, I'm not sure if I know anything more than others here.  On the westcoast in Seattle there's Cancer Centers of America and there's Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center.  If you're willing to travel further south, there's MD Anderson in Houston TX that's known from being aggressive.  But again, it all depends whether what you're looking for.  Whether you're just seeking 2nd opinion (for oncology or for surgery or both), or you're looking to be treated there.  For oncological consult or treatment for TNBC, you can try dr. Lisa Carey at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC.

Best of luck!
Stage IV lung-06/06 brain-12/08 BRCA1 TNBC
Avastin+Taxol,Carboplatin,PARP-Inhibitor,Navelbine+Xeloda,Avastin+Ixempra,Doxil+Cytoxan
Currently Abraxane+Gemzar (3/09)
http://pinehouse.wordpress.com/
Kelley View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2010 at 8:28am

I had right side mastectomy 06, left side mastectomy in 08, malignant melanoma in 07. It is now march of 2010, I have a small lump about 1 inch under mastectomy scar.  My plastic surgeon who did all my reconstruction is removing it.  What are the chances that this is NOT another cancer?

anyone been in my boat, having it not be cancer in this lump?
Pink Lemonade View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Lemonade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2010 at 12:16pm

The only way you'll find out is to have it biopsied, unfortunately. The same thing happened to me and unfortunately is was canSer. But, it is rare to have a chest wall recurrence, like 5% chance. So, it very easily could be benign!

Kelly

tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2010 at 5:14am
Janinvan, in 1996 you were given tamoxifen and your tumor was estrogen negative?Did you ever received herceptin and how long did you had tamoxifen?

all the best to you
nonna1642 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonna1642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 4:24am
Dear Janinvan.
Did you ever get any information regarding your recurrenct to pectoral muscle in Tn?  What are the symptoms   I am curious as I am 3 years post mastectomy with taxotore & Cytoxin and then radiation.  About the last couple of months I have had chest wall pain  feels like it is my bones  but x-ray & bone scan do not show anything.  My primary doctor thinks it is costocartlidge ribs that connect to the sternum that is causing the pain.  May take more tests after I recover from shoulder & hand surgery on the opposite side.  We will see if any of the pain meds & inflammatory meds that I will be taking for that to see if it clears up both.  Anyway if you get a chance let me know.  Thanks.Smile

NonnaBarbara
Dx: age 70 IDC TNBC Grade 3 5/10 left mastectomy Stage IIB 5.1 cm no reconstruction followed by chemo of Taxotore & Cytoxin then radiation
clicrowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clicrowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 2:36am
I was diagnosed cancer, reacurance in pectoral muscle. The mass was discovered during my annual breast MRI.
I was hoping have an update. Scared i was starting to feel excited making it to the 5 year mark
Liz
TNBC Stage1 Aug09, lumpectomy sep09, neg nodes, no chemo only radiation, BRCA1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic